Substitute for Rosewood and Ebony ?

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I was just wondering what woods? will be used in the future for rosewood and ebony ? If I want an instrument or even a piece of furniture
with these woods , will It have to be made in the country of the woods origin ? Rosewood seems to be the choice for fretboards, I've seen maple on some electric guitars but are all acoustic fretboards made from rosewood? I'm thinking about what has happened to Gibson and wondering what the future of instrument making (and woodworking) will be.

Lots of possibilities, many that you will find in your own backyard. The making of musical instruments will NOT stop even if every single exotic species of wood were to be banned next week.
History tells us that instruments were being made of local (ie.European) woods long before exotics were being imported. The great historical Violins and Lutes of this world had either very little or (much more frequently) no exotic woods. Ash, Yew, Maple, Spruce, Walnut, Holly and Pear were extensively used.
I can quite happily use any of those woods in place of the exotics. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest. The problem is persuading players to think likewise. But we have all been brought up on a diet of Rosewood and Ebony. As far as Guitar players are concerned, those two are the Holy grail.
Fortunately, the early music and Uke lot seem to be much more accepting of alternatives.

So what do you suggest for dark fingerboard material that is close grained, unstained and durable. I use laburnum but it is very hard to source. Bog oak is expensive and still very coarse grained.

I use laburnum also. It's difficult to source because of the width issue, although if you opt for a centre joint things become much more possible.
Oak is a great alternative although I don't think it's any coarser grained than Rosewood, which does seem to be well accepted as a fingerboard material. I'm not quite sure why fingerboards have to be dark though. I understand that it hides the dirt and the grime but Fender seem to do OK with their Maple, even with steel strings.
Probably the nearest alternative to Ebony is the Bog Oak. What would be nice is if someone started pressure dyeing Oak, for fretboards and bindings. I've dyed Oak by soaking it for weeks in iron acetate and the colour is certainly dark enough, near Black. In fact it turned out darker than some Ebony. Being a metal based chemical reaction also means that it's a pretty permanent dye. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get it to penetrate much more than 0.2 mm's, which might be problematic.

Dark tropical woods are used because they take crisp lines when inlaying and are very durable. Ahem... pay attention Trinimon - we are talking local hardwoods here. Walnut despite it's gorgous looks is 'soft' in comparison to ebony and rosewood and does not make duarble fingerboards. Maple fingerboards have to be lacquered to be durable... There really is no simple answer to this question.

Pete. Why can't we lacquer Maple? or Oak for that matter. Why not oil it, to be renewed each time the strings are changed. Wind instrument players Oil the bore of their instruments on a regular basis. Some of them even cut their own reeds! I just don't see the problem.

We do have ebony growing in Texas in the form of Texas Ebony. There are a few guys milling it in fairly substantial quantities. I have used Ipe for finger boards. Ipe is harder than ebony. I'm not too wild about the look of Ipe but functions very well and will not wear under usage.

Ever lacquered a maple fingerboard? Look at refinishers who cost these out... it is a good look but not a good solution for me. I'll still source Indian Rosewood from India where it is exported as a 'product'. That is the way to control and conserve the harvesting of hardwoods.

I find it's a case of being in the right place at the right time to get your hands on laburnum. I probably have enough in stock for about two dozen fingerboards right now, plus a bit more that's still "green"

I have a tin guitar that has been heavily played for about 9 years. The fretboard is English cherry and it has no more wear than I'd expect to see on a rosewood fretboard of the same age.

Beech is also plenty durable for fretboards (I've done a couple in spalted beech too) but it's difficult to sell, because it's perceived as a "cheap" wood.

IMHO the problem is not one of identifying local woods that are fit for the purpose, the problem is in persuading buyers to turn their backs on the "AAAA+ mastergrade" hype, in favour of more local materials.

BTW if anyone knows where I can get my hands on any more London Plane like this, I'm desperate for some...
297204_2302557077067_1043414509_2684774_1728842523_n.jpg

I thought East Indian rosewood is still ok and easy to get.

Is this information not correct?

Contact me Rob - I think I have some that I am never going to use... can't make it work for me.

It is, as is Ebony. Very likely to be that way for many, many years to come. I took the question as a 'what if'?

There is a wood I remember as a kid. I can not for the life of me remember what it is. I remember my Dad used to call it "Monkey ???" Maybe it was Monkey heart? or something. I just remember the monkey part of the name. I believe it is prevelant in the south and from what I gathter, grows much like an Acacia or Koa. Maybe more of a hearty bush? I remember it having KILLER thorns that were about and inch up to 2 inches long. The wood from it was very yellow in color, almost like a bright yellow. It was really pretty actually. I remember it, because my dad was a huge wood working hobbiest, and had quite the shop he used to tinker in. We cut one of those huge bushes down, and he took allot of that wood and milled it, and turned them into bowls and plates. They were beautiful, and I wish I still had at least one of those plates he made from that. But, I also remembering, doing a few little craft projects with that wood as a kid, that this stuff was hard as nails. It was the most hardest wood I have ever seen, even at my age now. My dad used to talk about how hard it was too. I remember hearing him talk about it to someone, and me as a kid, took a small chunk of it and tried to bite it. I tried several times to even make a mark in it with my teeth, and it wouldn't even dent or scratch under tooth pressure. I dang near busted my jaw and teeth on that stuff, hahhah.. Anyway.. Does this wook ring a bell with any of you wood pros? I would like to find out more about it..

oh yeah, also that stuff was so tightly grained, i remember dad cussing as he burned up allot of blades cutting it. I remember looking at it when he cut it, and it was as slick as marble, but had the prettiest grain and color to it. (BTW) I also remember my dad cussing that bush out because he ended up having to replace 4 tires on his truck driving around that area we cut it down at. Each tire had several of those thorns in them, and ruined them. I remember pulling a few out of the tires, and they weren't even bent, they were like nails themselves.. hehheh

Osage orange? Don't know if it's that hard though. Never seen it myself. Heard some of the US makers speak highly of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom