Low g Soprano???

freedive135

Reaction score
What's your experience with this?
Good Idea? Bad?

I have gotten used to the sound of my low g Tenor and as I have 2 of the same Kala Soprano's and have figured out that I like the sound/feel of the Aquilla strings on them over others I have tried, I was thinking of trying the low g on one of them.

I'm figuring at 8 bucks for a set what have I got to lose (well I guess 16 bucks if I don't like the low g).

All my ukes except my sopranos have low G strings on them, I really like the sound. My sopranos I keep high g on for playing hawaiian songs. Try it, you can always change it back.

I tried low-G with Worth strings. The regular string was too slacky (giving a twangy sound), as was the HD (same diameter as regular low), so I ended up with Extra High Density (which is HD but also thicker than regular). No buzzing, but very high string tension and as a result, little sustain. Perhaps it will work better on a good ukulele, mine was not top of the line. On the good side, I did not worry about my bridge getting torn off.

Perhaps others can fill you in on other string brands.

edit: ...typed too slow... perhaps I just have a crappy uke. Try it out and see for yourself, is a very good advice indeed.

Last edited:
What's your experience with this?
Good Idea? Bad?

I have gotten used to the sound of my low g Tenor and as I have 2 of the same Kala Soprano's and have figured out that I like the sound/feel of the Aquilla strings on them over others I have tried, I was thinking of trying the low g on one of them.

I'm figuring at 8 bucks for a set what have I got to lose (well I guess 16 bucks if I don't like the low g).

My Waverly Street soprano is Low G with a compensated saddle to, uh, compensate for the low G and it sounds great. It came with Aquilas, but I put Guadalupe low Gs on them and they work well.

Mind you, the uke was made to be a low G soprano.

Top Bottom