Dolphin Intonation

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Checked the intonation on my Dolphin last night. A little off at the 12th fret. A couple of strings a little sharp, a couple a little flat. Should I be overly concerned and if so, what is a quick fix? I just put new Aquilas on it and they are still stretching.

Last edited:
Checked the intonation on my Dolphin last night. A little off at the 12th fret. A couple of strings a little sharp, a couple a little flat. Should I be overly concerned and if so, what is a quick fix? I just put new Aquilas on it and they are still stretching.[/QUOTE]

This Bold part is probably what it is or it could just be the fact that it is a $40 instrument. None of my dolphins are perfect, fun...maybe but they are what they are. I never drank the dolphins sound so great and are the best ukulele in the world kool-aid:)

Checked the intonation on my Dolphin last night. A little off at the 12th fret. A couple of strings a little sharp, a couple a little flat. Should I be overly concerned and if so, what is a quick fix? I just put new Aquilas on it and they are still stretching.[/QUOTE]

This Bold part is probably what it is or it could just be the fact that it is a $40 instrument. None of my dolphins are perfect, fun...maybe but they are what they are. I never drank the dolphins sound so great and are the best ukulele in the world kool-aid:)

In my book they sound and play great for the $. I've yet to find one in that price range that play or sound better, and have played a lot of more expensive ones that are worse. just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
if a couple of strings are sharp and a couple flat, it is unlikely to be the uke that is out. The strings have stretched unevenly in all probability.

In my book they sound and play great for the $. I've yet to find one in that price range that play or sound better, and have played a lot of more expensive ones that are worse. just my 2 cents.

They aren't bad for their price range (well the older ones) the last few ones I have played were...meh.

But they are a $40 instrument. I have never had one with perfect intonation. It wasn't bad but it was off a little. They only way I knew they were off though was with a tuner. So it was pretty close.

The dolphins have a cultish following here. I think this happened b/c they are pretty good for their price and people expected a lot worse in that price range. I just have never put that much faith into them. When I give one away, I always tell people that it isn't perfect but it is pretty darn good for the price.

I am really digging these new Ohana student models.

Last edited:
Checked the intonation on my Dolphin last night. A little off at the 12th fret. A couple of strings a little sharp, a couple a little flat. Should I be overly concerned and if so, what is a quick fix? I just put new Aquilas on it and they are still stretching.

That's pretty typical for almost all ukes. Not really much you can do about it except compensating the saddle, and even that only goes so far. Well, you can do a LOT of experimenting with strings until you find a mix'n'match set that is more balanced but that's probably more trouble than it's worth especially on a soprano unless you're one who plays way up the neck a lot.

John

Top Bottom