Is there a simple way to gloss up our ukuleles?

Bao

Reaction score
I currently own a Lanikai which I really want to gloss up since I'm not much of a fan of satin finishes. I've handled woodwork in highschool for a year but i didn't really go so well at it.

Is there a simple tutorial anywhere that will help me?

or would there be places which will do the job for me?

Last edited:
Thank you for the link cnkguitarsandukes !

I'm curious though, did he just polish the ukulele up once? It doesn't look like he stated it.

I'm curious though, did he just polish the ukulele up once? It doesn't look like he stated it.

Yes, it's done once. And as I said, the process is irreversible which means that the glossed surface cannot be turned back to the initial perfect satin finish again.

That's fine, I don't really like satin finishes anyway.
I'm curious about what products can be used though
Are those guitar polishes like "D'Andrea" and "dr. ducks ax wax" able to provide me with the same results as seen in your pictures on the "kala acacia tenor" thread?

That's about all i need to know now after reading the "kala acacia" thread.

Are those guitar polishes like "D'Andrea" and "dr. ducks ax wax" able to provide me with the same results as seen in your pictures on the "kala acacia tenor" thread?

I'm not sure about this. These wax polishes are ment to shine up a dull surface but might not be abrasive enough to come from a satin finish to a full mirror gloss.

Ah i see. I'm hoping to get a full mirror glossy finish like the kala acacia, that was a real beauty !
I saw that you said you used a metal polish that didn't use silicone right?

Last edited:
I saw that you said you used a metal polish that didn't use silicone right?

That's correct. Metal polish without silicone will do the job. But please do not try to speed up the buffing process by using a Dremel or another power tool.

That's correct. Metal polish without silicone will do the job. But please do not try to speed up the buffing process by using a Dremel or another power tool.

Ah alright, thank you so much. I shall start looking for this metal polish soon.

Just a little rookie question: Does the instrument in question have to be solid wood...or does this work with laminates?

As the buffing removes / compresses parts of the lacquer; the wood itself is not involved in this process.

Hey Mike, how long did the whole process take for you ?

I'm guessing that this will be a job which takes a few weeks to complete?

I'm guessing that this will be a job which takes a few weeks to complete?

Removing the strings & tuners, masking the bridge, saddle & fretboard, buffing the complete instrument and then reinstall everything takes about one or two weekends for a soprano or a concert. (Done without any hurry.) I've started my buffing experience on acoustic guitars and if you are used to buff a whole guitar then it's a piece of cake to do that on the tiny ukulele surfaces.

Just got back from the local music shop and found out they did carry the Virtuoso polish. I noticed they also carried a Virtuoso Premium Cleaner for scratches etc. Is the Cleaner too aggressive?

Just got back from the local music shop and found out they did carry the Virtuoso polish. I noticed they also carried a Virtuoso Premium Cleaner for scratches etc. Is the Cleaner too aggressive?

My post above click that link that is done with virtuoso Polish it is good, smells nice too

I used the 3M Finesse II polish and it worked well. It took more work than I thought though, so while it looks glossier than before I will continue polishing it next time I change the strings.

Thanks! I tried the link yesterday at work and it wasn't working but worked just now. Damn, looks great!

It has had lots of goes on it now I would get two bottles for sure as I've used it on my other uke to clean it up. It is hard work and is not an easy job but I'm pleased with the polish

Top Bottom