Big Island Honu Prototype Tenor Cutaway - MGM Stock

I am new to Ukes and noticed this one on eBay. Is this one good? How does it compare to a Kamaka or Kanilea?

IT is a big island NOT a honu model. you also left oscar schmidt as brand lol. antheo if mike did the set up on this at 800+ its a great price. They are excellant ukes some of the best wood around is used.
would help also looks like the case is included. you are 5 days late accck. I have been looking for a HONU or BI for a while finally bought another amped tenor 5 days ago lol.

I am new to Ukes and noticed this one on eBay. Is this one good? How does it compare to a Kamaka or Kanilea?

They are not HI-made the wood is excellent,though, since the Winkler family are also lumber merchants.

Cheers,
Christian

Depends on what you're comparing. The wood is from the Big Island, but the build is overseas. To get a cutaway Kanilea or Kamaka, with bindings, pickup, inlay and case, there's no way you'll pay $800. I would put this more along the lines of a Pono (just because its built overseas to keep costs down). Of course, this is just 1 of 4 built, so put your own value to it.

Aaron

this just got relisted ,it didn't sell for $800, the listing is hard to read ,has it listed as an oscar schmidt, finally figured out it has an excellant uke krazy hard case, not the canvas version, The pics go left to right lots of good pics not so easy to view. at $800 someone should grab this . It is the top of the line Big Island equal to the Honu with the turtle bridge. I am sure the pics aren't doing the wood justice as the KOA in these ukes is usually amazing just check out some of the pics on the honu posts. I just spent my budget on another uke or I would for sure . Also this was Mikes MGM's uke so you know it should be set up well.

this just got relisted ,it didn't sell for $800, the listing is hard to read ,has it listed as an oscar schmidt, finally figured out it has an excellant uke krazy hard case, not the canvas version, The pics go left to right lots of good pics not so easy to view. at $800 someone should grab this . It is the top of the line Big Island equal to the Honu with the turtle bridge. I am sure the pics aren't doing the wood justice as the KOA in these ukes is usually amazing just check out some of the pics on the honu posts. I just spent my budget on another uke or I would for sure . Also this was Mikes MGM's uke so you know it should be set up well.

Aloha Poppy!

Just want to know where you got the idea this uke was listed as an Oscar Schmidt uke. The eBay listing is done well, with very large clear pictures running up and down, not left to right. Also, this uke is from the new Big Island Series of ukes made by the Big Island Ukulele Co. The wood used on these ukes are not the same grade as the high end "Honu" Series ukes. However, IMO ... this is a nice uke.

Aloha Poppy!

Just want to know where you got the idea this uke was listed as an Oscar Schmidt uke. The eBay listing is done well, with very large clear pictures running up and down, not left to right. Also, this uke is from the new Big Island Series of ukes made by the Big Island Ukulele Co. The wood used on these ukes are not the same grade as the high end "Honu" Series ukes. However, IMO ... this is a nice uke.

Under the Description tab and "Item Specifics", it says the brand is "Oscar Schmidt by Washburn"

Under the Description tab and "Item Specifics", it says the brand is "Oscar Schmidt by Washburn"
Aloha Gillian.

I thought I was going crazy because I didn't see anywhere stating it is an Oscar Schmidt in the listing. Since you confirmed poppy's post, I checked again and finally found it. Kekani probably used his other listing as a template and forgot to change it under the "Item Specifics" description tab. Anyhow, the entire listing has Big Island Ukulele Co. all over the place and the pictures are large and clear. No big deal. Just a small error.

Thanks for that guys - CNK was right - I'm just trying to get MGM's stuff listed, and I copied it from the previous listing. I guess I better check the rest.

Sorry for the confusion, I normally don't list instruments, but I'm doing it for Mike.

Aaron

Last edited:
Aloha Poppy!

They are well done now .I was trying to help kekani get this sold for mike and the add works much better now ,He got it a lot bettter pics are easy to find, case is listed at the top, and oscar is gone lol. I watched it cause I couldn't afford it right now and was so suprised it didn't ,at some point a while back and I can't find the post was stated the wood and finish was the same, the differences was the head stock and some of the inlay (islands vs Honu) the gloss is trying to come through in some of the pics. my understanding is that construction is the same on both . This is comparable to the rope series in the Honu line (Big Island has only 2 levels of KOA while Honu has 3) They are priced exactly the same so it is not a lesser or different product but just some different styling. BTW $959 List less case on the site .

Last edited:
Top Bottom