Uke players similar to Jake?

Couloirman

Reaction score
I, like many of us, LOVE Jake Shimabukuro's music. That being said, I have listened to it all now many times over. Jake is what made me fall in love with the uke in the first place, but I need to branch out a bit and find other artists to listen to as well.

Any recommendations on who to listen to next? I have all of Iz's CDs, and all of Jake's but that's it. Who are your favorites?

PS: I see the sticky at the top of the forum, but I am specifically asking for artists with a similar style to Jakes and thought that maybe deserved its own thread.

Check out Craig Chee. A former student.

Also -- Jumping Flea.

This is Taimane. Like Jake, but very unlike Jake, all at once. Which might be what you're looking for:

This is several serious players all playing together (sort of the variety pack):

Brittney Paiva, Kalei Gamio, and Jason Arimoto area pretty cool too.

There's also a YT video of Dominator and the K-Town Heroes playing Europa that is nothing short of amazing!!

Taimane is without a doubt the most mesmerizing performer I have ever had the privilege to see.

Sébastien Dufour of Small World Project almost never gets mentioned here but he is also flat out amazing as a ukulele instrumentalist. Here's a sample of his work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLBdALeoytk&feature=related .

I also want to mention Jody Kamisato and Chris Salvador, AKA Heart and Soul. If you've seen "Mighty Uke" (and if you haven't, you should), you've seen them. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHYXEn3qfc

Have fun checking all these artists out Couloirman, some great suggestions here and I am betting more to come.

I think Jake is a great player, and finding his "Gently Weeps" video on YouTube a couple of years ago is what inspired me to order a better ukulele than the P.O.J. soprano I had. But then I discovered James Hill. He's every bit the player that Jake is, but I think his music has more soul, and definitely more humor. He draws from a lot of influences, and doesn't go with the "over-produced band" sound that Jake sometimes has (more on his earlier stuff, I think).
I also really like the late John King. In fact, here's a video of James Hill and John King playing together:
I saw UU's own Aldrine Guerrero at the Denver Uke Fest in February, and was blown away.
I personally prefer playing old-timey, Tin Pan Alley type music on uke, but I enjoy and appreciate anything well-played.

IMO Aldrine is just as clean and probably faster than James Hill. Both amazing!!!

IMO Aldrine is just as clean and probably faster than James Hill. Both amazing!!!
Two very different styles of playing so its hard to compare, but that is definitely up for debate. See ode to a frozen boot for a reference on james' proficiency.

As far as Craig Chee goes, I wouldn't say he is similar to Jake. Can he focus in technical abilities at times? Sure. However statistically they are worlds apart in my mind. Singer/songwriter (Craig) vs. Fingerstyle instrumentalist (Jake). I feel there are two differing goals in their music.

You guys are awesome. Looks like Ive got some homework to do! Thanks so much for the suggestions

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kris Fuchigami. He's a UU member too. Saw him at the Tahoe fest earlier this year. Definately and up and comer.

I can see I've got a lot of players to listen to, but as of now, if I had to spend a relaxing evening listening to just one uke player, it would be James Hill

The Jumping Flea (Matt Dahlberg)'s playing style is very similar to Jake's.

Top Bottom