HELP! Broken Amp

joeybug

Reaction score
Hey Everyone :D

I went to play my Eleuke for Mim's contest and another song I've been working on that I thought would sound better on an electric and I turned on my amp and it's broken :( My carer did drop it about a month ago, but I haven't had the chance to check it out until now - well, I did try playing my Vita Electircally, but it didn't work and thought maybe the pickup wasn't that good...

Anyway, so now I have to find one to replace it. I could go with the one I have (and like) which was a Dan electro Honeytone Amp

Or...

The Danelectro Hodad which has two speakers and also runs on battery

Or...

The Orange Mirco Crush which also runs on batteries.

All three are within my price range and while I only use them for home recordings, I may one day Gig and need to use them for that, so advice would be welcome!

Thanks!

Joey

I have a mini crush surplus to my needs which I'd sell it's been used once but I don't know how much postage would be?

Un plug it take the covers off and see if a wire or fuse didnt fall off. Solid state amps will take a tumble and survive most times specially if they werent under power when dropped. Doesn't cost to check

Un plug it take the covers off and see if a wire or fuse didnt fall off. Solid state amps will take a tumble and survive most times specially if they werent under power when dropped. Doesn't cost to check

We already did that and couldn't find where the problem is..

I have a mini crush surplus to my needs which I'd sell it's been used once but I don't know how much postage would be?

How much would you want for it? Is it light? Coz that could help the postage costs stay low...it might work out cheaper for me to buy one off amazon, but if you can get it here (at my cost of course!) I'll take it!

Hi Joeybug - I don't know about the Vita but the Eleuke has a battery that wears down. Did you check that the battery in the Eleuke is ok? Just a thought I had since when I had an Eleuke I ran into this problem a couple times. Also, I can't recommend the Orange Micro Crush for any kind of gig. You would need way more power than that little thing can put out. Good luck! - Mary

Hi Joeybug - I don't know about the Vita but the Eleuke has a battery that wears down. Did you check that the battery in the Eleuke is ok? Just a thought I had since when I had an Eleuke I ran into this problem a couple times. Also, I can't recommend the Orange Micro Crush for any kind of gig. You would need way more power than that little thing can put out. Good luck! - Mary

Ah! THANK YOU!!! I shall try it :D

How much would you want for it? Is it light? Coz that could help the postage costs stay low...it might work out cheaper for me to buy one off amazon, but if you can get it here (at my cost of course!) I'll take it!

If I'm honest joey I don't think it serves a purpose well it does but that purpose is decoration. What are tge other amps you were on about like what watts are they?

If I'm honest joey I don't think it serves a purpose well it does but that purpose is
decoration. What are tge other amps you were on about like what watts are they?

Yeah, my dad just brought me a Dodad - Danelectro, which I'm told is better for what I want it for :D Thanks anyway!

The orange mini amps are not serious really. they are very pretty though and mine looks lovely sitting on the mantelpiece.They have no grunt, no power, no volume and are a waste of time unless you want a cute decoration for the bedroom or lounge.

sorry to hear about your amp troubles :(

good advice about check all your batteries and power sources first and test your uke out on another amp, a nice excuse to visit a music shop if you can and try some out ;) also don't forget to test your cable....

The orange mini amps are not serious really. they are very pretty though and mine looks lovely sitting on the mantelpiece.They have no grunt, no power, no volume and are a waste of time unless you want a cute decoration for the bedroom or lounge.

My sentiments exactly. I have a friend with a proper orange amp and I'm trying to get him to buy mine for decoration next to his daddy amp

Ok, I can't let this go. I was staying in lurk mode, but we were talking about this cheap amp dilemma the other night, and I think Joey is getting some poor advice here.

Firstly, the Line 6 Spider is just horrible. Plugging into the computer and using virtual modeling software would be much better than the Spider. And at least it's twice the budget she has for a new amp. For that money, she's better off going with something from Roland or Vox, but in that price range you're starting to get near gear voiced for acoustic pickups, so why you'd go with a Spider I have no idea.

Does the Orange Crush suck? It depends. If playing a concert for 10s or 100s, then yes it does. If playing for a room full of ones of people, no, it certainly does not. In fact, it's the king of the small cheap amps. Its got a nice fat crunchy dirty sound that totally works.

Besides, she liked the Honeytone, and if she liked the Honeytone, she'll love the Crush Micro.

I suggested the Hodad as a possibility, because it was a newer offering from Danelectro, had two speakers, and might be along those same lines as a Honeytone.

I know there are some gear snobs, but come on. Thanks to internet forums, you've got people thinking they have to have this or that brand uke to be taken seriously, and that they need to spend x or y on amplification... and they absolutely cannot plug into anything but the proper amp.. come on.

I didn't see anyone recommending that Joey go for a Line 6 anything - mostly it was saying that the Orange Crush wouldn't suit her needs, and recommending another Danelectro.

I've got a Vox Mini 3, that I bought on Fitncrafty's recommendation. I've used ti twice, and it is more than enough for a moderate sized room (20 or so people). I think I prefer using microphones through a mixer, then into the amp over plugging the uke in directly, though. My playing style can be kinda percussive, and the piezo picks up a lot more than I like.

-kurt​

I 2nd the Vox Mini3:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...attery-powered-ukulele-amplification.../page9

The microphone input will allow Joey to sing along, too. Battery power allows her to be more mobile and it's light weight and small size make it less obtrusive for her.

Recommendations are based on personal experience. I own over 60 amps and still read from the experience of others. I bought the Roland Mini3 based on fitncrafty's recommendation and enthusiasm. Straight off the shelf, without testing it out. It has some advantages over it's predecessor, the Vox Da5:

Runs on AA, instead of C cells.
Also allows effects on the vocal channel.
All the controls are on the top, instead of the top and back.
Lighter weight and smaller size.
Cleaner audio (gets nasty if you set the controls for that).
Lower price.

Battery amps work great for street faires and backyard gigs:

You'll notice 2 Vox Da5's hanging from the frame of the pushup shelter in the back on the right and left. There is also a boom microphone on the right and left up front. All are plugged into two Vox DA5's.

Ukulele582.JPG

1 Roland Microcube Bass RX and 2 Roland Microcube Street's using two microphones at a backyard Luau:

DebGary17.jpg

DebGary19.jpg

A Roland Cube Street as one of my solo busking rigs:

RolandAmp1.JPG

2 Roland Cube Street's, 1 Roland Microcube Bass RX, 2 Roland Microcube RX's and 2 Roland Microcube's for the band.

RolandAmp6.JPG

2 Roland Cube Street's, 1 Roland Microcube Bass RX, and 2 Roland Microcube RX's for another backyard luau.

RolandAmp10.JPG

1 Roland BA-330 I had in my car replaced a faulty P.A. system in a restaurant for some of my slack key friends:

kaisens4.JPG

My Vox Mini3 compact busking rig, using an Emerson headset microphone http://www.frys.com/product/6460952...4XqBDNE5g__.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG .

VoxBatteryAmps6.jpg

Having travelled the world with a Vox DA5 using both the microphone and instrument channel. The Vox Mini3 will be my new travel amp, due to advanced features and lighter weight/size.

Ukulele530.jpg

To show the size, I took photos of (left to right) a Roland Microcube, Vox Mini3, VoxDA5 and a Vox DA20.

VoxBatteryAmps1.jpg

Aloha Joey,
did you try to call them on the Warranty of the honeytone...after all you only had it 7 months....give it a shot, nothing to lose...

Top Bottom