Handmade Soprano Ukulele - Blue Frog - Solid Spruce and Poplar By Vic Jones

Vic D

Reaction score
eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230680300569

This uke sounds nice with good sustain and volume.
This is a very handmade soprano ukulele made by me. It has solid poplar back and sides, poplar neck with walnut stripe, rainbow poplar headstock veneer, walnut binding, Honduras rosewood fretboard and bridge, corian saddle and nut, engelmann spruce braces, all solid construction! The frets and mother of pearl dots are from Stewart MacDonald and it's strung with Aquila strings. It has Grover friction tuners.

The top on this uke acquired a blemish while finishing, it was hard to get it to show but it's there and it's noticeable if you look at it. I've spent more than enough time on this uke and I'm not about to repaint it so it is what it is. Also, the uke acquired a dent in the binding on the bottom edge in the back. I repaired it but the repair shows, it's circled in the photo.

I build these instruments to last and I'll fix any problem that comes up if it' related to my work, if it's dropped or left outside in the weather or sat on, that doesn't count. But I'll do any repairs for a reasonable fee. Properly cared for this uke should last a lifetime.

Thanks for looking!
--Vic

Last edited:
That's a great looking ukulele -- especially the headstock. Beautiful job with the finish.

My finishing technique is getting better but trust me this isn't one of my best. That spot on the top is pretty ugly, I'm just really tired of this ukulele, it has given me a lot of aggravation. I don't even remember what number it is, it's written under the top. My ukes will start at $250.00 and up depending on options but this one is listed buy it now for $120.00... won't even make minimum wage on this one after figuring in the aquila strings, nice spruce top and Grover tuners... It does sound good though and It'll last.

Oh, and thanks!

Is the spot on the edge of the body at the bottom a separation or can it be refinished and be right or will it need some kind of repair? And the other spot can it be refinished and look right? Thanks.

Is the spot on the edge of the body at the bottom a separation or can it be refinished and be right or will it need some kind of repair? And the other spot can it be refinished and look right? Thanks.

Hey Mark. The spot on the binding came from a fall, the binding dented in pretty good. I repaired it with a walnut patch and a small patch next to it in the poplar. It's sound, but due to the glue I used the repair is visible. The spot on the top was a result of a burn through while buffing, I drop filled it and wet sanded it a bit but didn't worry too much about it because with waterbase lacquer there's gonna be a witness line anyway. The top can be repaired by masking it off, sanding all the way to wood, reapplying a sealer and waterbase lacquer then of course wet sanding and buffing... again... with 7 days cure time it'll take a week.. Or the spot could be sanded, a sealer applied ( I use shellac ) and blended... but it will show a witness line if that route is taken. I use StewMac Waterbase Lacquer but that's gonna change.

Last edited:
very nice , too bad I just got a soprano [vintage Gretsch] yesterday to fill out my stable. just curious, why didn't you just offer it here or Flea Market and avoid the ebay fees? this is priced right for a custom to move quickly. someone is going to get a little beauty, even with the flaws, for a steal. wish it was me. good luck with the sale.

Sold. Right on Kem... I didn't' realize it was full.

Top Bottom