How to benefit from this forum

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I have noticed that there is a core of FAQ that pop up here on a regular basis. At the risk of being facetious may I suggest using the search function before posting on bending, mold making, wood thickness, wood selection, bridge placement, blah, blah, blah... you will see that there is a very deep well of advice and since there are some of us who want you to really succeed, we will be less likely to wearily reply with the same answers we have given half a dozen times before :)

Just a wee bit od friendly and free advice...

I don't know how much you've tried using it, but the search feature here is (ahem!) somewhat less than robust.

I was surprised to see that the only stickies in the LL are about builders. Really seems to me that a FAQ sticky with links to common topics and resources would be really helpful.

You want to volunteer to compile it? :p

Moderators please note - improve search feature and get someone to do a proper sticky thingy (whatever one of those is :( )

Moderators please note - improve search feature and get someone to do a proper sticky thingy (whatever one of those is :( )
A "sticky" is a thread that's been "stuck" so it stays at the top of the list of threads within a forum. :)

I have noticed that there is a core of FAQ that pop up here on a regular basis. At the risk of being facetious may I suggest using the search function before posting on bending, mold making, wood thickness, wood selection, bridge placement, blah, blah, blah... you will see that there is a very deep well of advice and since there are some of us who want you to really succeed, we will be less likely to wearily reply with the same answers we have given half a dozen times before :)

Just a wee bit od friendly and free advice...

If you think those questions are asked alot, you need to go to Uke Talk where the "What is the best uke for $200" or some form of that question shows up so often that I think it's has a sticky

there is a very deep well of advice

Pete is right! It IS a deep well. Search engine is no Google but I have been able to tap that well without much work. Almost everything has been asked before so turn over a few more stones and I think you can find most anything you need to know. Thanks Pete!

I'll try to keep track of some of my better 'finds' and ask one of the moderators to make a' sticky' list if things like bending temps, top thickness, etc.

Last edited:

LOLz. :D

Moderators don't have the power to improve the search function, Pete. The UU forum is powered by vBulletin, a ready-made forum program. All the facilities are built in and only changeable by people with plenty of time and PHP scripting skills.

As for the sticky... If the luthiers or the hobby builders want to compile a thread of FAQs and/or top tips we'll be happy to make it a sticky.

I'm only underlining comments - experience fo the forum will be varied. hey Chuck - I'm not that confident I have any of the answers especially after your glue thread ;)

Use Google's site search...

Aid on Google's power, you can actually do it without improving forum search function:

Type the following in google search bar:
Code:
site:http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?30-Ukulele-Building-Luthier-s-Lounge bending
Replace bending to anything you want to search, dig deeper from the result.

Last edited:
+1 on using
Code:
site:http://www.ukuleleunderground.com....
in your google search, though you'll also find that UU pops up pretty high on the list if you simply add ukulele to your search, as in: ukulele bridge placement, ukulele soundhole size, ukulele mold, ukulele wood choice, etc

I suggested a sticky FAQ page years ago, but nothing ever came of it. I would be willing to help out some but clearly no one can spend a lot of time reviewing old posts and compiling links just to save other people time searching for what they need to know. And in the end this is not essentially an archive to be searched for boxed information but a forum which is a place to arrive at answers by means of interaction, presentation, discussion, debate....

I understand Pete's fatigue at answering some of these basic questions, but the attendance here and the level of knowledge and experience varies so much.... I'm afraid this may be one of those never ending stories. And I'm not in favor of putting a gate at the door requiring new members to pass a three hour FAQ exam before they can post here - and besides that who the ]-[€|| wants to check their answers?

Last edited:
Thanks for the search suggestions using Google. I hadn't realized one could search through a specific site, using advanced search.

The other day, on the Tru Oil vs French Polish thread Pete said

"This has been a subject of discussion many times. William King's method is probably the easiest and most simply explained. It is in the archives of this forum - just do a search."

I tried Pete, I really did .....

Would using tags help?

Even if the search function is hard to use (but see Buddhu's post #11 on searching via Google), itis only courteous to the experts on here to do some research first.

In other words, this shouldn't be the first place you bring your bright idea ("Why can't I just use Gorilla Glue to attach the neck?"). A simple Google search for "neck attach Gorilla Glue"will find you many pages where those who have tried it relate their experience.

Armed with that knowledge, you can ask a sensible question (eg "For the first time builder which is the easiest way to attach a neck - Spanish heel, dovetail, bolt-on, dowel, 6-inch nail"). This gives the experts the pleasure of disagreeing with each other, and means you will learn a lot.

As a non-Luthier UUer, I have found this forum invaluable. I now know more about the making and subtle things that go into a ukulele. It makes us better 'Ukers understanding the instrument. You Pros are also very tolerant with us newbies, showing us threads that have already addressed things. Computers have their limitations but people don't.

Re. neck attachment...hot melt glue gun from Ace Hardware and a couple of 1 1/4" long narrow crown staples shot from a Senco nail gun. Fill over the staple crowns with FixAll, and paint to suit.

Top Bottom