Weird choice of go to uke.

Markr1

Reaction score
I'm not bragging but I've got quite few nice ukes and just about broke because of it. I have 7 in all and I'm sure a lot of you can relate. The weird thing is I have this what was I piece of crap Cigarbox tenor uke. Any way took it to my luthier and he fixed it and I finished it with many coats tungoil and it looks and plays great now the action is good. It has a neck quite a bit bigger round then your traditional uke neck. Its easier to fret or bar further up the neck without much difficulty as I find in my nicer ukes. I think in-between the frets are a little wider up the neck then on a regular uke. The uke I hated in the beginning has become my go to uke for some odd reason. Maybe one reason because all the others are kept in there humidified case and maybe it's just easier to grab my cb that's always out but I don't think so as I have pulled out my collings my sceptre and Pineapple Sunday or any of the others and I play them for a few minutes but always end up putting them back up and grabbing the cigar box. Does this sound strange or do some of you do the same thing. Don't know what it is but I'm just drawn to the cigarbox and no I don't think I'm Nutz. I would like to hear thoughts and feedback on this if you don't mind or add similar stories. Thanks. Mark

funny you should mention it Markr but i am the same with my fluke, it is my go to uke and i always end up going to that, i love the sound of my mainland and my kala fmc but the fluke is my uke of choice, the only problem i am finding is coz the frets are a little bit wider apart on the fluke i am now having trouble fingering the chords on my other ukes properly, they are only just off but they are off enough to 'do my head in' when i play them, so as hard as it is, i am going to use my other ukes more than i have been just to get my fingers used to the fret spacing
kaizer

I know exactly what you mean kaizer I have the same problem the wider spacing between frets have spoiled me.

I have more of a "love the uke you're with" situation going on, I have one tenor that I play when I'm upstairs and one that I play downstairs and another one for when I'm on my computer. Sometimes I feel bad when one of them doesn't get played enough as the others so I'll switch it to a different spot. I think I rotate between soprano and tenor frequently enough that I don't run into the "fret spacing" problem (at least not that I've noticed)

I don't really have a go-to uke. I have 7 and try to spread the love around so none of them get jealous. :)

Also so my husband can't say, "You never play that one so you should get rid of it."
Thats a good point but I don't have a wife to tell me they have to go if I'm not playing any of them.

I don't really have a go-to uke. I have 7 and try to spread the love around so none of them get jealous. :)

Also so my husband can't say, "You never play that one so you should get rid of it."

I'm the same with my 8, although I don't have a husband ;)

I'm not bragging but I've got quite few nice ukes

You have bragging rights......you have one amazing collection :drool:
Maybe the reason is because the cigar box has a completly different sound, feel and shape ?

For a long time, I played my Kala travel tenor while more expensive ukes sat in their cases because I felt okay about leaving the Kala out of its case and it was just easier to pick up and play. Now I actually take the trouble to open the cases of my nicer ukes and play them because I realized how much fun I was missing by not playing the nicer ukes.

Top Bottom