Kiwaya KTC-1 vs Collings UC-1?

iDavid

Reaction score
I think I might be missing out, not having an all Mahogany uke.

Anyone played both of these? I've played Collings and I wasn't blown
away, but I think I might have been expecting it to sound more like a K-brand, rather than what it is.

I was blown away by the workmanship and playability of the Collings, btw.

I was the opposite trying a Collings Tenor where I plan on buying non-koa now. Of course, I own a K brand already so probably suaded my decision the other way to get a different sound.

BTW, what happened to your Compass Rose?

I was the opposite trying a Collings Tenor where I plan on buying non-koa now. Of course, I own a K brand already so probably suaded my decision the other way to get a different sound.

BTW, what happened to your Compass Rose?

My Compass Rose is having issues. I'll let you know when it is all figured out.

The build quality of Collings is at the top. Attention to detail is where you would expect a Collings. I'm just not a Concert kind of guy, and the only Collings I've played has Aquila's, so you can imagine that it could sound better. However, even with Aquila's, this instrument is top quality.

I have a KTC-1 right now that I'm selling for MGM. I gotta tell you, this is an instrument you close your eyes and play. Again, not a Concert guy, but I can't disagree with wood choice. For an all around traditional sound, this wood choice is where its at.

Aaron

Last edited:
I've played both and posted about them on an earlier thread. As Kekani notes, the workmanship on the Collings was incredibly good; I looked at it for a long time and couldn't find any sign that it was made by human beings. I really liked the way it sounded, even though, as Kekani also notes, I was imaging it with Worths rather than Aquilas. It doesn't sound anything like a K brand, however. It's a more traditional mainland sound than a traditional Hawaiian sound. I've often heard them compared to Martins, but I didn't get that either, apart from the appearance. To my ears, Martins have more "ping" at the high end, whereas the Collings are more even toned throughout.

I have to say that I was less impressed with the Kiwaya concert. I had believed that it had Fremont Blacklines on it, since Kiwaya appears to use Fremont cases. Later, I read that they are not Fremont strings, but another type (just something I read but cannot confirm). So, the strings may have had something to do with the lack of robust tone I was expecting. Still, it was a fine instrument, and very well made.

I played about a dozen high-end instruments that day, so my comments should be considered in that light. Another way of stating the same thing is to say that I would be thrilled to have either the Kiwaya or the Collings... or both! I was surprised by the Scott Wise soprano I played. It sounded wonderful to me. The only thing that was a bit of a disappointment about it was the matte finish. Not that the finish was poor (it was very nicely done), but I could see that the koa was wonderfully flamed and a glossier finish would have set that off better, although it may also have altered the sound. The only new instrument that I was hoping to play was a Moore Bettah (none in stock). Good for Chuck, not so good for me.

Top Bottom