Where to buy a Ukulele

Williamslash

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm interested in buying a ukulele, specifically a tenor or
concert 4-string. I'm also on a budget of about $10-60. I might be able
to raise it up if needed, but that's the price I'm looking for, I guess.
Anybody know where I can get one in San Gabriel/Alhambra/El Monte/
Pasadena/Temple City/Rosemead in California? Thanks!

I'd say if you can up your budget to $150 or so you stand a better chance of getting something decent, though that still puts you at the fairly low end.

Kala and Ohana are decent brands to look at. :)

A lot of members have kala dolphins that sell for $35 on EBay love them. Don't have one myself but do have a Mahalo which was made very playable after a local music shop tweaked the action and got some good strings. Those two things can really make the difference.

Last edited:
Makala MKC round about $50-$70 dollars. With Aquilla strings. Don't get a ukulele for that price from Guitar Center. They need to be "set up" meaning making the uke playable by someone who knows the difference. The entry level ukes get made in factorys and boxed. You get them and it just slapped together. Buy from someone like Hawaiin Music Supply they will take that same $50 dollar uke and make it playable. Actually make it enjoyable to play at no extra cost. Do not buy a $50 dollar uke from a big box store like Guitar Center it will be un playable.

Last edited:
Not from Guitar Center. Search that same Tenor model number online from places like HMS or MimsUkes etc...They will get you that same uke and like I said make it enjoyable to play. New strings and setting theuke up for you. A good set up is very important. You will not pay any more purchasing from these dealers.

I used to live in your area, but that was in my pre-uke days.

Check out this link with Southern California Stores http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?4164-Southern-California-Ukulele-Shops if you have to go and get one to-morrow. I would also try out a few sizes in person. You might find you like a concert or even soprano better.

HMS and Mim's have very high recommendations in this forum. Make sure to take the time and call, because everything might not necessarily be up on the website.

Last, be sure to report back with what you end up getting!

Top Bottom