Does anybody plug their uke into an acoustic amp? What do you use?

consitter

Reaction score
:cool:Hi acoustic-electric ukers,

What brand of acoustic amp do you plug into? I just bought a Bose L1 compact, and am waiting on it to get delivered. Anything else I've used thus far gives me massive feedback unless I just have no volume, which kinda defeats the whole purpose. I'm wanting to play in a good-sized church, and this should fit the bill--if I can crank it without feedback. I've heard these are the ticket, because they are designed to be stood behind the performer not in front like traditional amps.

Scott

I'd never seen these before they look interesting I use a Marshall as50d acoustic amp I like it because its loud but has feedback control and you can get tge sound quite similar to what you sound acoustically

I have a Roland AC60 I use on stage behind me and have never had a feed back problem.

I have a Roland AC60 I use on stage behind me and have never had a feed back problem.

Just so happens, I used an AC60 Thursday, and was getting feedback problems from it. I have an LR Baggs Element under saddle pick up. It seems to be uber-sensitive. Will even pick up my voice when it's turned down (not all the way of course, but when turned up a little, my voice can be heard when talking).

Just so happens, I used an AC60 Thursday, and was getting feedback problems from it. I have an LR Baggs Element under saddle pick up. It seems to be uber-sensitive. Will even pick up my voice when it's turned down (not all the way of course, but when turned up a little, my voice can be heard when talking).

Seriously I don't think that should happen? I have two misi pickups which I believe are LR baggs under saddle and they are fine no feedback are well balanced and certainly cannot hear me talk through them? I didn't know amps had to be in front I always use my amp behind me?

Seriously I don't think that should happen? I have two misi pickups which I believe are LR baggs under saddle and they are fine no feedback are well balanced and certainly cannot hear me talk through them? I didn't know amps had to be in front I always use my amp behind me?

Mine has a volume control only in the soundhole. Is that what yours is? If so, about where do you keep your volume? Sorry to be such a dummy about all this guys!

Mine has a volume control only in the soundhole. Is that what yours is? If so, about where do you keep your volume? Sorry to be such a dummy about all this guys!

You're not being a dummy all mine is is a endpin jack with a misi superconductor on it with a LR baggs element attached to it no volume or anything. I drilled a hole at the end and mounted the jack plug then drilled under the saddle and ran the element under it. There is no volume? But still I don't think any pickup should do what you describe hopefully someone more learned will read this and chip in?

You may need pre amp I use a Gigpro helps.

rolands have built in pre amps. you are talking about treble/mid/bass knobs and such, right poppy? and thank you rae, I just feel goofy now! :)

Last edited:
I also own an AC33. I don't have problems with it, either. It's a good little amp. It's just not big enough to handle the venue I'm wanting to play. At least with the Bose L1 compact, I've got 45 days to return it if they're are issues.

I use a Roland AC-33 coupled with MiSi pickups in my 'ukes. No issues and good tone.
I have the same amp works well for me

Did you do a search for "acoustic amp?" There are many, many threads on this topic.

There are specific gain settings to assist with feed back on most of the preamps like the gig pro. And yes there are controls particularly on the roland amps. They have seperate gain and volume which really helps with feed back. most of the time the problem will occur with sensitive pickups and the gain setting allows you to better control the output. The preamps are also handy as you normally have a belt clip and the control settings can be easily changed. I have never had a problem with the uk2000 and it appears the misi work well also with out the gain control.

There are specific gain settings to assist with feed back on most of the preamps like the gig pro. And yes there are controls particularly on the roland amps. They have seperate gain and volume which really helps with feed back. most of the time the problem will occur with sensitive pickups and the gain setting allows you to better control the output. The preamps are also handy as you normally have a belt clip and the control settings can be easily changed. I have never had a problem with the uk2000 and it appears the misi work well also with out the gain control.

Cool about the belt clip controls. Don't have to go back and forth. Is a piezo type pickup (like mine) different from a misi? Thanks for the free lessons.

I used a 16 channel Carvin board with speakers in front and monitors. Using a maple and a mahogany Pono tenor with factory pickup I have never had an issue with feedback.

Not really but it seems you prob. have a battery in yours that gives it a higher output perhaps. A preamp will work with any output type be it mic or piezo.It is handy I use it with my misi sometimes like you said I don't have to go to the amp to adjust tone or volume. It works with a battery powered system also and the pure mic systems like the kk's. Just kind of handy to have around. there are some really nice high dollar ones and some much less expensive.

I also own an AC33. I don't have problems with it, either. It's a good little amp. It's just not big enough to handle the venue I'm wanting to play. At least with the Bose L1 compact, I've got 45 days to return it if they're are issues.

I use an L.R. Baggs Paracoustic D.I. when an instrument's not loud enough through the Roland AC-33. The AC-33 has plenty of acoustical output to be used as a solo P.A. for a medium size audience, especially in a church environment. The microphone makes a difference, too. I prefer a Sennheizer E-838 ober a Shure SM58. The Sennheizer has superior frequency response, better off axis pickup pattern and superior feedback rejection. You don't have to eat the mic for it to work. Ric

I used a 16 channel Carvin board with speakers in front and monitors. Using a maple and a mahogany Pono tenor with factory pickup I have never had an issue with feedback.

I live 15 minutes from the Carvin factory in Rancho Bernardo (North San Diego County). I own two Carvin P.A. systems and their onboard EQ allows me to "ring a room", to notch out feedback frequencies. It's fun to test out gear in their seperate soundproof showrooms. Ric

Top Bottom