PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody plug their uke into an acoustic amp? What do you use?

consitter
10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
:cool:Hi acoustic-electric ukers,

What brand of acoustic amp do you plug into? I just bought a Bose L1 compact, and am waiting on it to get delivered. Anything else I've used thus far gives me massive feedback unless I just have no volume, which kinda defeats the whole purpose. I'm wanting to play in a good-sized church, and this should fit the bill--if I can crank it without feedback. I've heard these are the ticket, because they are designed to be stood behind the performer not in front like traditional amps.

Scott

raecarter
10-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I'd never seen these before they look interesting I use a Marshall as50d acoustic amp I like it because its loud but has feedback control and you can get tge sound quite similar to what you sound acoustically

salukulady
10-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I have a Roland AC60 I use on stage behind me and have never had a feed back problem.

consitter
10-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a Roland AC60 I use on stage behind me and have never had a feed back problem.

Just so happens, I used an AC60 Thursday, and was getting feedback problems from it. I have an LR Baggs Element under saddle pick up. It seems to be uber-sensitive. Will even pick up my voice when it's turned down (not all the way of course, but when turned up a little, my voice can be heard when talking).

raecarter
10-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Just so happens, I used an AC60 Thursday, and was getting feedback problems from it. I have an LR Baggs Element under saddle pick up. It seems to be uber-sensitive. Will even pick up my voice when it's turned down (not all the way of course, but when turned up a little, my voice can be heard when talking).

Seriously I don't think that should happen? I have two misi pickups which I believe are LR baggs under saddle and they are fine no feedback are well balanced and certainly cannot hear me talk through them? I didn't know amps had to be in front I always use my amp behind me?

consitter
10-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Seriously I don't think that should happen? I have two misi pickups which I believe are LR baggs under saddle and they are fine no feedback are well balanced and certainly cannot hear me talk through them? I didn't know amps had to be in front I always use my amp behind me?

Mine has a volume control only in the soundhole. Is that what yours is? If so, about where do you keep your volume? Sorry to be such a dummy about all this guys!

raecarter
10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Mine has a volume control only in the soundhole. Is that what yours is? If so, about where do you keep your volume? Sorry to be such a dummy about all this guys!

You're not being a dummy all mine is is a endpin jack with a misi superconductor on it with a LR baggs element attached to it no volume or anything. I drilled a hole at the end and mounted the jack plug then drilled under the saddle and ran the element under it. There is no volume? But still I don't think any pickup should do what you describe hopefully someone more learned will read this and chip in?

poppy
10-01-2011, 11:07 PM
You may need pre amp I use a Gigpro helps.

consitter
10-01-2011, 11:17 PM
rolands have built in pre amps. you are talking about treble/mid/bass knobs and such, right poppy? and thank you rae, I just feel goofy now! :)

KevinV
10-02-2011, 03:58 AM
I use a Roland AC-33 coupled with MiSi pickups in my 'ukes. No issues and good tone.

consitter
10-02-2011, 04:18 AM
I also own an AC33. I don't have problems with it, either. It's a good little amp. It's just not big enough to handle the venue I'm wanting to play. At least with the Bose L1 compact, I've got 45 days to return it if they're are issues.

Landshark
10-02-2011, 05:50 AM
I use a Roland AC-33 coupled with MiSi pickups in my 'ukes. No issues and good tone.
I have the same amp works well for me

gyosh
10-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Did you do a search for "acoustic amp?" There are many, many threads on this topic.

poppy
10-02-2011, 06:33 AM
There are specific gain settings to assist with feed back on most of the preamps like the gig pro. And yes there are controls particularly on the roland amps. They have seperate gain and volume which really helps with feed back. most of the time the problem will occur with sensitive pickups and the gain setting allows you to better control the output. The preamps are also handy as you normally have a belt clip and the control settings can be easily changed. I have never had a problem with the uk2000 and it appears the misi work well also with out the gain control.

consitter
10-02-2011, 06:59 AM
There are specific gain settings to assist with feed back on most of the preamps like the gig pro. And yes there are controls particularly on the roland amps. They have seperate gain and volume which really helps with feed back. most of the time the problem will occur with sensitive pickups and the gain setting allows you to better control the output. The preamps are also handy as you normally have a belt clip and the control settings can be easily changed. I have never had a problem with the uk2000 and it appears the misi work well also with out the gain control.

Cool about the belt clip controls. Don't have to go back and forth. Is a piezo type pickup (like mine) different from a misi? Thanks for the free lessons.

lookingforcurly
10-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I used a 16 channel Carvin board with speakers in front and monitors. Using a maple and a mahogany Pono tenor with factory pickup I have never had an issue with feedback.

poppy
10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Not really but it seems you prob. have a battery in yours that gives it a higher output perhaps. A preamp will work with any output type be it mic or piezo.It is handy I use it with my misi sometimes like you said I don't have to go to the amp to adjust tone or volume. It works with a battery powered system also and the pure mic systems like the kk's. Just kind of handy to have around. there are some really nice high dollar ones and some much less expensive.

ricdoug
10-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I also own an AC33. I don't have problems with it, either. It's a good little amp. It's just not big enough to handle the venue I'm wanting to play. At least with the Bose L1 compact, I've got 45 days to return it if they're are issues.

I use an L.R. Baggs Paracoustic D.I. when an instrument's not loud enough through the Roland AC-33. The AC-33 has plenty of acoustical output to be used as a solo P.A. for a medium size audience, especially in a church environment. The microphone makes a difference, too. I prefer a Sennheizer E-838 ober a Shure SM58. The Sennheizer has superior frequency response, better off axis pickup pattern and superior feedback rejection. You don't have to eat the mic for it to work. Ric

ricdoug
10-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I used a 16 channel Carvin board with speakers in front and monitors. Using a maple and a mahogany Pono tenor with factory pickup I have never had an issue with feedback.

I live 15 minutes from the Carvin factory in Rancho Bernardo (North San Diego County). I own two Carvin P.A. systems and their onboard EQ allows me to "ring a room", to notch out feedback frequencies. It's fun to test out gear in their seperate soundproof showrooms. Ric

ricdoug
10-02-2011, 06:13 PM

The Roland AC-60 is the reference amp for all other acoustic amps. Amazing performance in a compact, lightweight combo amp. Ric

olgoat52
10-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Guitarists often use a plug to cover the sound hole to control feedback. There have been some posts about that here but I don't think anyone found one that would fit a uke.

It might not be all about your pickup. If you top is thinner than some of the other than have posted it might trigger the feedback more readily. Feed back is the top or instrument as a whole responding to input from outside the instrument that is captured by the pick up and sent to the amp causing more external input to then uke. You end up with an infinite loop of sound that is what we call feedback.

Strings can ring sympathetically to external frequencies as well. But in the case of the uke, I think a lot of it is the top itself.

That's why solid bodies don't feed back as much as hollow bodies or semi-solid guitars. You can get feedback from solid body guitars, but I am not sure what causes that. Might be microphonics of the pickups reacting to external frequencies.

patico
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
i use a Fender Vibrochamp Silverface.
sound very nice.
it put's around 5-6 watts of pure crancked ovrdriven sound

iand love to play with pedals.
my next UAS it's either a reverb or a compressor.

iorana

consitter
10-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Wow, folks! I wasn't expecting this much input from the members on this subject. I kinda thought I was a crazy coot that decided he wanted to "plug in" his uke to an amp. Looks like I may not necessarily be in the minority. Just the minority of the type of problems I'm having :( Hopefully the Bose system will help me in several ways. The church I'm wanting to play and sing in is about 80ft X 80ft. Holds about 600 people. The L1 compact says it will only do venues of about 150 people, but they're talking about dances and such, not a church environment, which is much quieter. Has anyone seen the L1 compact perform anywhere? If so, What did you think?

raecarter
10-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Although I have a amp but when I gig and my manager has hired a sound technician he always puts newquay through a di box and that sounds great straight into the pa!

consitter
10-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Although I have a amp but when I gig and my manager has hired a sound technician he always puts newquay through a di box and that sounds great straight into the pa!

I'm planning on using my Roland AC-33 as a pre-amp for this to see how it works. I'm not big enough for a sound tech OR a manager for that matter. But ya never know if...:)

raecarter
10-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm planning on using my Roland AC-33 as a pre-amp for this to see how it works. I'm not big enough for a sound tech OR a manager for that matter. But ya never know if...:)
Just mic up the Roland into the Bose?

consitter
10-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Just mic up the Roland into the Bose?

Exactly...already asked Bose about it. They said it could be used as a mixer. An AC-33 would be a kinda primitive mixer IMO, but still it would work. The sound wouldn't be so flat for the instrument. You can give it effects. Cool, eh?

They say as long as it has a line out, any amp can serve in that capacity.

raecarter
10-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Exactly...already asked Bose about it. They said it could be used as a mixer. An AC-33 would be a kinda primitive mixer IMO, but still it would work. The sound wouldn't be so flat for the instrument. You can give it effects. Cool, eh?

They say as long as it has a line out, any amp can serve in that capacity.

Does the Bose have xlr inputs? I find that micing the actual amp gives a more natural sound then a line out? Its good don't get me wrong but I have a xlr output on my Marshall to attach straight to the pa but I think it sounds better through an instrument mic picking up the actual sound coming out of the amp?

consitter
10-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Does the Bose have xlr inputs? I find that micing the actual amp gives a more natural sound then a line out? Its good don't get me wrong but I have a xlr output on my Marshall to attach straight to the pa but I think it sounds better through an instrument mic picking up the actual sound coming out of the amp?

Not too sure what your asking so I am pasting the input/output specs. Looks like it doesn't,this is straight from their specs page.

Connectors
GUITAR Channel Input Jack (1/4-inch phone type)
MIC/LINE Channel Input Jacks
(XLR type, Balanced)
(1/4-inch TRS phone type, Balanced)
AUX IN Jacks
L, R (RCA phono type)
(Stereo miniature phone type)
LINE OUT Jacks L (MONO), R (1/4-inch phone type)
PHONES Jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
FOOT SW Jack [EFFECTS] (TIP: CHORUS, RING: REVERB/AMBIENCE) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
FOOT SW Jack [LOOPER] (TIP: REC/PLAY/OVERDUB, RING: STOP/CLEAR) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
DC IN Jack

raecarter
10-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Not too sure what your asking so I am pasting the input/output specs. Looks like it doesn't,this is straight from their specs page.

Connectors
GUITAR Channel Input Jack (1/4-inch phone type)
MIC/LINE Channel Input Jacks
(XLR type, Balanced)
(1/4-inch TRS phone type, Balanced)
AUX IN Jacks
L, R (RCA phono type)
(Stereo miniature phone type)
LINE OUT Jacks L (MONO), R (1/4-inch phone type)
PHONES Jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
FOOT SW Jack [EFFECTS] (TIP: CHORUS, RING: REVERB/AMBIENCE) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
FOOT SW Jack [LOOPER] (TIP: REC/PLAY/OVERDUB, RING: STOP/CLEAR) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
DC IN Jack

Is that the Bose system? If so the second one down is what you would use. You attach a lead and microphone from the Bose then put it infront of your Roland amp sound the sound of the amp is picked up through the Bose and out it its speakers this is called micing up your amp

consitter
10-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Here's the manual page for the Bose.

cid:75C58B66-447F-46F9-AF1D-98B4EEA38951/photo.PNG

Ok so this is a screw up. I'll have to go my PC put the page on here

raecarter
10-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Okay number 5 on this picture is a mic input http://l1compact.com/l1compact-controls.php attach a instrument mic to it then put that in front of the speaker on your Roland amp

Gerald Ross
10-03-2011, 03:34 AM
I have two battery powered Roland portable amps that I travel and perform with.

Roland AC-33
Roland Street Cube

If the gig involves both a uke and my lap steel I use the Roland Street Cube. If the gig is ukulele only I use the Roland AC-33.

The Street Cube has a gain control on one of it's two channels. This control allows me to add a bit of overdrive (good overdrive, not Heavy Metal or Rock overdrive) to my lap steel sound which fattens up the tone and increases the musical bandwidth. I plug my uke into the non-gain channel.

The AC-33 is a dedicated acoustic amp with a very clean non-overdriven tone. All my pickup equipped ukes sound FANTASTIC through this amp. The tone is bright and clean. The lap steel sounds "OK" through the AC-33 because the amp lacks gain control.

The ultimate situation? I use the Street Cube for the lap steel and I plug the uke into a DI box onstage and let the sound person get me a decent uke tone.

consitter
10-03-2011, 03:40 AM
So, if my pea brain can understand this, I'll be amplifying the sound coming from the amp this way, right?

With these two systems, can you plug the amp directly into the unit, and use it to control its lows/mids/highs of your instrument playing throught it? Essentially using it as a mini mixer board? But if I take it right, you are telling me that micing the amp is the better way? Means I gotta buy a couple of good mics. My understanding is the bose system reproduces exactly what goes into it. If using crappy equipment--crappy sound.

raecarter
10-03-2011, 03:45 AM
So, if my pea brain can understand this, I'll be amplifying the sound coming from the amp this way, right?

With these two systems, can you plug the amp directly into the unit, and use it to control its lows/mids/highs of your instrument playing throught it? Essentially using it as a mini mixer board? But if I take it right, you are telling me that micing the amp is the better way? Means I gotta buy a couple of good mics. My understanding is the bose system reproduces exactly what goes into it. If using crappy equipment--crappy sound.

For sure that's right. You may not notice any difference but for me by micing up you are getting the true sound of your amp that is out of the where as if you just connect your amps line out to your Bose line in it is coming through a cable. It still works and you may heat no difference if that is the case just do that

raecarter
10-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Here's some light reading mate http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-178407.html

consitter
10-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Rae,

Thank you so much for all your help. I feel like I've truly learned something with you. PM me if you're ever bored.

Scott

raecarter
10-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Rae,

Thank you so much for all your help. I feel like I've truly learned something with you. PM me if you're ever bored.

Scott

I'm pleased I could help like I said try it and see you will have a mic already won't you so just mic it up then compare sound straight into the box with a lead? I'm at home off work so its no harm helping someone

consitter
10-03-2011, 04:48 AM
It should be coming in tomorrow sometime. I'll probably go pick it up at the UPS depot instead of letting it sit on a truck all day long. Thanks again! And I will try amp to L1 first and report. Just a waiting game now.

consitter
10-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks to you too, Mr. Ross. I will slowly but surely learn how this stuff goes. I'm just glad I have guys like you to kelp out.

Scott

uke4ia
10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
I have a Crate CA-60. It's good for acoustic instruments.

consitter
10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow! That's a good looking amp too!

Kekani
10-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I've used the Bose L1 - its a nice system for a single instrument, but has no bass whatsoever. I've also plugged into a larger setup with two poles and 4 bass modules. Great for the ipod, and acoustics/vocals. Don't run a bass through it.
At higher volumes, its missing something.

Also, it can, and does feedback. Unless you have an eq to ring it out, you may run into that problem, especially in a church, with effects, and all that resonance around you. Of course, if you ring out mains (because you're using it as a monitor behind you), well. . .

I have a small PA that I run gigs through, Soundcraft GigRac and JBL 15's (cheapo's). But, I can run my bass through it, and it sounds better than most plastic speakers at that price range. I also run a pair of 12" Yamaha's as monitors, and we're all set. So far, everything the Gigrac and JBL's do have allowed us to leave any other cabs at home.

Personally, micing an amp and running it through the L1 sort of defeats the purpose of getting a Bose in the first place. If you got crap sound coming out of the Bose, then its not the sound reinforcement that you should look it, its your instrument (which looks to be a Custom KoAloha Tenor - you shouldn't have any sound issues, I've seen that instrument).

Nice thing about the Bose is the size. It's still missing a mixer, effects, eq, etc. And the bass player has to bring a cab.

One of the best acoustic amps I've heard and played through is the LR Baggs Acoustic Reference amp. Very nice, and natural sounding, just like their Element pickup.

-Aaron

consitter
10-03-2011, 09:39 PM
I can run my amp straight into it without micing it as well. The Roland AC-33 gives a really good sound, just not enough of it. I dont use a whole lot of effects anyway, I just want to use the AC-33 as an EQ basically. I understood that the L1 compact did have bass speakers in the control module. Am I wrong? Also I kind of plan on using this as a home sound system to play our ipod through. Don't really need stereo unless you're gonna sit right in front of it, eh? Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Scott

consitter
10-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm sure you've seen my uke before it was sent home, as it was built by Paul. He elected to do the inlay himself on this one though. From what I hear about you, when it comes to inlay, you are a beast. What a co-winky-dink you answering my forum question. Course you mighta seen the winged KoAloha headstock as my avatar that called your attention to me too. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Scott

consitter
10-04-2011, 05:10 AM
So, today I received my L1 compact. Played played my uke through it alone and it sounded good. A little bassy, but still good. Hooked the uke into my Roland AC-33 and lined the AC-33 into the Bose. Sounded weird no matter what I did with the amp. I guess now I know what "muddy" sound means if nothing else. Then I remembered the tone match was on. Turned it off, and WOW is all I gotta say! Clear as a bell, and with the little Roland as my preamp, it sounded beautiful. Had it to 3X the volume I've ever had my Roland, and no feedback whatsoever! Couldn't be happier at this point!

Trinimon
10-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Good to hear it worked out! Rock the house now! lol

raecarter
10-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Brilliant so no extra expense either? I've had my amp out today practising new songs for a wedding there's something I like about playing and singing and it coming out of an amp! I'm pleased you're pleased how about a video

consitter
10-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks guys! Videos are a little beyond my expertise at this point but I'll get one on here soon, I promise.

ricdoug
10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Congratulations on finding your sound solution, consitter. It can be an expensive journey, when mistakes are made. The money back trial from Bose is good assurance. It sounds like Bose won't be getting your L1 back. LOL! Ric

consitter
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
The 45 day trial period is exactly what attracted me to this amp. Well, that and the reviews. I ran my iPod through it, and it was so strange walking around the room and hearing the same volume no matter where I went. Very cool.
Scott

consitter
10-04-2011, 09:07 PM

I forgot to ask you...does your pickup require a battery? Mine does.

raecarter
10-05-2011, 06:03 AM
I forgot to ask you...does your pickup require a battery? Mine does.

No mate both my ukes have a Mi-Si acoustic trio which have a jack plug attached to a plug that you charge for 60 secs and it gives you I think 8 hours power its very clever

raecarter
10-05-2011, 06:05 AM
I got both from mike http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=36

consitter
10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Yes it is extremely clever. I think I know what I'm gonna have installed on my next uke. Thanks.

facemeltingukulele
10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey Scott,
I'm a satisfied BOSE user, and it'll be perfect for your set up. I've been playing a lot more acoustic gigs these days and have had my trusty L1 compact for all of them. I use either a Koaloha Sceptre or Super Concert (both with passive pickups) into an LR Baggs Para-DI or these days a BOSE T1.
Daniel Ho, a Koaloha player like yourself, swears by the BOSE systems. He actually turned me on to them. I've used a number of acoustic amps from good to bad to ugly. Good sounding amps I've tried are AER and Trace-Elliot, didn't much like the Marshal acoustic amp I tried (though Jake used it well back in the days of Pure Heart/Colon). Also used a Behringer acoustic amp but it was pretty bad for ukes.
One thing you'll get from the BOSE that you won't get from non-line array set ups (fishman makes one too), is that great coverage at lower volume. To me that makes the difference between playing a nice acoustic set and an annoying acoustic set where dinner patrons can't hold a conversation. So the BOSE would do really well in a church setting.
Anyways, just my 2cents, I'm sure you'll be 100% satisfied with the BOSE. Really touching Koaloha story you have too. Glad I stumbled on this post while procrastinating on some school work!

Jason

consitter
10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi Jason,

You've told me what I want to know about this system. And let me say, I've seen your videos and your uke is truly "face melting"!!! I had to take a double take when I saw you're handle! Glad you read the story, because the Okamis are truly awesome people. Thanks for reading it.

Scott

consitter
10-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi again, plug-in ukers,

I packed up my BOSE L1 Compact and headed to the local music store. I went in, asked if they minded if I set up my system to try something out, and they were fine with it. Took me about 2 minutes to set it up, plug in and play. The guy working was impressed. I set it up in the store area itself, which has terrible acoustics. I just directly plugged the uke into the bose, without pre-amp and started playing. Sounded decent, just a little dull because of no EQ. What he was most impressed with was that no matter where in the store he walked, he was hearing the same volume.

I then got around to the nitty-gritty and told him I wanted to try out a LR Baggs Para acoustic DI. He got one out of a box, put a 9V battery in it and plugged it up. I gave him my uke, he made several adjustments to filter out feedback, then started fiddling with the EQ until it started sound extremely close to a loud version of what my uke sounds like unplugged. Now, I know that sounds silly, because most might think that's the way it should sound, but most who use amps know this isn't necessarily the case. This is due to the fact that piezo pickups amplify the vibration of the strings moreso than the soundhole. But my uke is so loud, that it picks up the sound from the soundhole too, causing massive feedback at times. Without going on too much, let's just say I was extremely happy with what I heard, and bought it on the spot.

Back to the L1 Compact. What I like about it is that does NOT have to be turned up loud to be heard all around. This will be great for Christmas when we go to the inlaws. I can play a few Christmas songs on the uke, and when I'm done, I can hook up an ipod to it and mucic can be heard all around their house without blasting people's ears that are in the same room with it. It just blows me away with the way all that sound comes out of those itty-bitty speakers.

Keep on pluggin'
Scott

ricdoug
10-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Now that you have the Paracoustic DI box, Scott, try it out with your Roland AC-33. You'll discover you'll get much more clean volume out of the AC-33 that way. This is very helpfull when your playing in a place where there's no convenient way to get AC power. Ric

consitter
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Now that you have the Paracoustic DI box, Scott, try it out with your Roland AC-33. You'll discover you'll get much more clean volume out of the AC-33 that way. This is very helpfull when your playing in a place where there's no convenient way to get AC power. Ric

Thanks Ric, never even thought of that! Will give it a go, because it made so much of a difference. Only issues I'm having are knowing how to use it.:confused: Will work with it and learn.

Scott

ricdoug
10-10-2011, 03:45 PM
The notch filter has multiple uses, Scott. If your instrument has a dead string, turn the knob + and use the ADGB knob to find the dead string frequency and boost it appropiately. For feedback, turn the knob - and use the ABCD knob to notch out the feedback frequency. The + and - allow to custom tailor the cut and boost.

The .4 .8 1.2 1.6 KHZ knob let's you parametrically shift the frequency range that the Mid Knob controls.

The gain knob changes the sensitivity of the input so you don't overdrive/underdrive your amp/P.A..

Low, Mid and Treb (Low, Mid and High) are pretty self-explanatory once you know where to set the frequency for your Mid. Pres gives you that high frequency sizzle.

Ric

consitter
10-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Thank you Ric, this helps me out immensely.

The .4 .8 1.2 1.6 KHZ knob let's you parametrically shift the frequency range that the Mid Knob controls.

Tell me if I'm right: This makes the mid a 4 band eq all it's own basically. Expands the control of the mids.

The gain knob changes the sensitivity of the input so you don't overdrive/underdrive your amp/P.A..

Volume (kind of).

The notch filter has multiple uses, Scott. If your instrument has a dead string, turn the knob + and use the ADGB knob to find the dead string frequency and boost it appropiately. For feedback, turn the knob - and use the ABCD knob to notch out the feedback frequency. The + and - allow to custom tailor the cut and boost.

Pea brain still having trouble understanding this. Are you meaning test each string for feedback? Sorry to be so pesky, but I'm 44 and have never done this kind of stuff--EVER. Just wanna get it right. You and the others on here are so helpful, but I don't want to seem to take advantage.

Thanks again,
Scott

ricdoug
10-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Volume (kind of).

Yes, Scott. The volume control on the Paracoustic DI is like a master volum. So the gain controls the sensitivity and volume of the input and the volume controls the output.

The notch filter has multiple uses, Scott. If your instrument has a dead string, turn the knob + and use the ADGB knob to find the dead string frequency and boost it appropiately. For feedback, turn the knob - and use the ADGB knob to notch out the feedback frequency. The + and - allow to custom tailor the cut and boost.

Are you meaning test each string for feedback? Sorry to be so pesky, but I'm 44 and have never done this kind of stuff--EVER. Just wanna get it right. You and the others on here are so helpful, but I don't want to seem to take advantage.

No. turn the notch knob - and rotate the ADGB until it stops the feedback by removing the offending frequency. You want to adjust the notch knob +/- until the feedback stops and then adjust it no more. Too much - will remove needed tones.

I retired in 1992 at close to your age from the USMC. Technology comes slow to me also, but I can always ask a teenager if I need help. They live and breath technology. Give me an analog tube amp and I'll mod it all day long, though. Ric

Ric

consitter
10-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Once again, thanks Ric. Reading this jives with what I was watching the guy doing in the shop, only then, I didn't know what he was doing. You just made it all make sense for me.

Scott

consitter
12-23-2011, 07:58 PM
After having used my Bose L1 Compact for over 2 months now, I have decided that it's time to give it a proper review. To be frank, it is just okay without some kind of pre-amp. But if you have a pre-amp, it is freakin awesome.

The L1 is truly a garbage in, garbage out system. If you sound like crap, you're just gonna sound like louder crap. But if you sound good, oh my goodness, it's such a smooth system. It's so easy to use. Basically plug and play. I'm using the Paracoustic DI, as I've mentioned before, and through it and the L1 my uke sounds awesome.

My father-in-law and I have been playing around with the L1 quite a bit. He has a 1964 Gretch Chet Atkins model electric guitar that sounds unbelievably good through it. Even though the Bose system is "acoustic," his electric sounds like it was supposed to play through it. No pre-amp either. Just straight from the guitar to the amp. He even put it through an old Vibrolux made in the 60's into my Bose and it sounded great. I was under the impression that the L1 was strictly an acoustic system, but not if you have the right instruments going through it.

I bought a mic cord so I could play on the mic channel through the Para DI and he played throught the guitar input channel with the Gretch. We sounded pretty darn good together, if I say so myself. :) The only bad sounds came at the mistake of the player (which was me, he didn't make mistakes, he's played for over 50 years.) He was extremely impressed by it, and he has never played through anything other than tube amps until I hooked him up through mine. In fact, when he first saw it, he asked why in the world would I not get me a nice Fender amp. Then he played with the Bose, and it changed his mind. Trust me, his is a HARD mind to change!

ricdoug
12-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Sweeeeeet!