Baritone Uke Tuning Vs Mandolin tuning

indigo_dave

Reaction score
Hi, I ordered a Koloa Baritone Uke yesterday. I'm a long time piano player (many years now). I decided I wanted it as a musical toy (fun and no pressure) that I can take on vacations and other trips - can't do that with a piano.

My question is about tuning. I wanted this because I discovered it's tuned the same as the top 4 strings of the guitar. But someone suggested I could go a little string swapping and tune it the same as a mandolin.

My question is about the mandolin tuning: would it buy me anything like say better voiced chords, easier fretboaord fingering, or anything else ?

Thanks,
Dave

I think it is much easier to play solo tunes on a uke (tuned in fourths) than it is to play solo on a mandolin (tuned in fifths). I have played guitar and mandolin for a long time and sort of rediscovered the uke in the last five years. It probably won't hurt anything to try out mandolin tuning on the uke but you could also buy a mandolin for that.

If you want to tune it GCEA (easiest route), check with Southcoastukes re: their Baritone strings.

Your friend may mean well, but "do a little string swapping" is bad advice for anyone who is new to a stringed instrument. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Tune your baritone ukulele like a baritone ukulele---it will feel and sound great.

Once you've become familiar with the instrument, you'll be better-prepared to consider alternate tunings.

Oh, and welcome to UU!

Your friend may mean well, but "do a little string swapping" is bad advice for anyone who is new to a stringed instrument. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Tune your baritone ukulele like a baritone ukulele---it will feel and sound great.

Once you've become familiar with the instrument, you'll be better-prepared to consider alternate tunings.

Oh, and welcome to UU!

What he said.

I would wait awhile and see what the baritone uke is like before you go with alternate tunings.

Start simple. :)

Top Bottom