PDA

View Full Version : what strings for a yamaha guitalele

raecarter
10-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Hi everyone my friend has bought a guitalele and brought it round to show me. They're a great instrument but the strings are garbage and have no sustain. I'm assuming there is a set of classical strings that would benefit the guitalele? Thanks for your time

Doc_J
10-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Yep, classical guitar strings are what Yamaha recommends. The shorter scale is compensated by the higher tuning. It works.

Ken of York
10-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi raecarter. At the start of this year I went down the Yamaha Guitarlele road, I also quickly found an ideal string set up although it may be a bit costly for some (it wasn't for me as I had loads of Augustin spares). If you go here I have set out the full details in the video description - plus you can hear the strings in action. Happy to be of assistance if this helps in any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMB4I0N0oRk

Also, since then I have got my ultimate guitarlele and on that I still use the Pro Arte for strings 4 to 6 and went for Worth Browns for strings 1 and 2. Examples of that set up are also on my ootoob channel.

Cheers, Ken.

raecarter
10-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks a lot you two I will pass this info on to my friend

Allen
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Just completed a Guitalele for a client in Sydney. Installed Saverez Corums on it. High tension basses, regular tension trebles. They sound really nice and even. Next time around I'd try all high tension as I prefer that feel and sound.

SailingUke
10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I have a friend who is using La Bella fractional strings for 1/4 size guitar on his Yamaha. He likes the E to E tuning.
I am using them on my D-VI with good results as well.