what strings for a yamaha guitalele

raecarter

Reaction score
Hi everyone my friend has bought a guitalele and brought it round to show me. They're a great instrument but the strings are garbage and have no sustain. I'm assuming there is a set of classical strings that would benefit the guitalele? Thanks for your time

Yep, classical guitar strings are what Yamaha recommends. The shorter scale is compensated by the higher tuning. It works.

Hi raecarter. At the start of this year I went down the Yamaha Guitarlele road, I also quickly found an ideal string set up although it may be a bit costly for some (it wasn't for me as I had loads of Augustin spares). If you go here I have set out the full details in the video description - plus you can hear the strings in action. Happy to be of assistance if this helps in any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMB4I0N0oRk

Also, since then I have got my ultimate guitarlele and on that I still use the Pro Arte for strings 4 to 6 and went for Worth Browns for strings 1 and 2. Examples of that set up are also on my ootoob channel.

Cheers, Ken.

Just completed a Guitalele for a client in Sydney. Installed Saverez Corums on it. High tension basses, regular tension trebles. They sound really nice and even. Next time around I'd try all high tension as I prefer that feel and sound.

I have a friend who is using La Bella fractional strings for 1/4 size guitar on his Yamaha. He likes the E to E tuning.
I am using them on my D-VI with good results as well.

Top Bottom