A "special" mini

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
One of my latest Aphids done for a young player with a MOP monogram. Came out pretty cool I think. Hope he likes it.

P1050595.JPG

One other special thing about this one, and 2 others is the bridge. I am one that loves "history" of some of the weirdest things. But, on a couple of these 1st run minis, I made the bridge out of re-claimed wood with a history. They are re-claimed rosewood that is very old growth in Africa and spent it's 1st 100+ years of service to mankind as railroad ties on a very old railroad. This wood was re-claimed, and used in flooring for a mansion, then recently pulled up and re-claimed a 2nd time. I was fortunate to get a little bit of this cool wood from a generous donor, and wanted to use it for something special. If only I had enough of this cool wood to built a whole full scale concert or soprano. But, at least this way, I can share a little bit of it's history around..

Last edited:
Looks beautiful! And nice history to go with it :D

A uke with history two of the best things ever packed together. Awesome i love it.

I just hope the post office makes it quick. The suspense is killing me :p

Am I understanding this correctly... You build these ukuleles yourself?

If so, please tell me if you take requests and how much you charge.

Yes I do build them from raw materials myself. They tend to sell faster than I can make them however. I am not a "mass production" type of builder, or even a pro. I am simply a hobby builder, and build them myself in my shop one or two at a time. I get $100ea for them, and that includes USP priority mail to the USA. So far have two models (Aphid (traditional body)& Ladybug (pineapple body)They are build just like a full scale uke is, but these are only 10" total in lenth, with a 6-1/2" playable scale. Mohogany body and neck, but soon to start building them also with a maple body and neck. rosewood fretboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle. I have made one with ebony fretboard and bridge, and will make those per requests but those will be a bit more due to the cost and problems of working with ebony. My very 1st one was built with an ebony fretboard and bridge (that I still have). I have been compiling a list of people that want in on the next batch I build which will be built between now and early spring (depending on winter weather due to none heated shop). I have 5 or 6 I plan to build within the next few months, and those already have names on them. I may be able to sneak another name or two in on the list.

There is one review in the review area from one of the latest buyers if you want to peek in on that.

Last edited:
Wow.

I can't believe you are only charging $100 considering there is a very limited market of Sopranino/Sopranissimo ukuleles.

I might ask to be added to that list if it isn't very long by January/February.

Well, to be honest, I'm not making anything on them at that, but the Tangi mini sells for about $80 postage paid. If I didn't enjoy making them, i wouldn't even start one for $100, but, why would somebody buy one of these from a no name hobbiest for much more than that, when they can buy a mini from Tangi a known builder? So, I wanted them to be spread around, and I figured at $100 per, folks would take a chance on an old fat guy that has nothing better to do, lol..

But that said, I took mine, and Tangis and did a side by side comparison. i was very anylitical, and un-biased in comparing the two. And I felt my Aphid beat out the Tangi Mini hands down in every aspect. I think Tangi's are decent ukes, but their minis, I don't think they build them to a regular standard. they seemed to be jsut slammed together by an assembly line with no QA at all to speak of. That is what inspired me to make one for myself because I thought "Jeesh, I can build one a hell of a lot better than this.." and build me one.. Then, two.. three.. and so on and so on.. lol.. They are fun..

Where do I sign up?

I want one!

Too cool. I'm gonna have to have one of those in the future.

I just had to look at it again... so cool. You know, Pete said a couple of times that the soprano is the most difficult uke to build because of its size and I believe it must be true, or I thought so until now. There's absolutely no wiggle room when it comes to measuring, marking, cutting on a soprano. That being said, that mini of yours in the photo looks awesome tight, from the dots and inlay to the string placement and bridge... everything about it. Great job, Tony.
One question though.. can you fit it with an under-saddle pickup and EQ? LOL.. just kidding. Actually, I'm sure it can be done probably maybe.

Last edited:
I just had to look at it again... so cool. You know, Pete said a couple of times that the soprano is the most difficult uke to build because of its size and I believe it must be true, or I thought so until now. There's absolutely no wiggle room when it comes to measuring, marking, cutting on a soprano. That being said, that mini of yours in the photo looks awesome tight, from the dots and inlay to the string placement and bridge... everything about it. Great job, Tony.
One question though.. can you fit it with an under-saddle pickup and EQ? LOL.. just kidding. Actually, I'm sure it can be done probably maybe.

I put a MiSi into my Ohana Sopranino (and strung it Low G) and it actually works really well! Sounds great and is HILARIOUS running through the "90's Metal" effect on my Vox Mini3!

I'm thinking the teensy one here? It'd be a necessity!

I put a MiSi into my Ohana Sopranino (and strung it Low G) and it actually works really well! Sounds great and is HILARIOUS running through the "90's Metal" effect on my Vox Mini3!

I'm thinking the teensy one here? It'd be a necessity!

Right on Uncle Elvis.. I think they can be cut down. It would be so hot on stage through some high end effects.. and I'm a lover of Vox.

Top Bottom