UKE Reviews

What size are you looking for? That makes a difference on what you can get within a certain price range. However, for $350 or less, I would recommend Koa Pili Koko for soprano, concert, and tenor. They are well built, are made of solid wood, look a lot like koa, and sound at least as good as Ponos. Check them out here.

What size are you looking for? That makes a difference on what you can get within a certain price range. However, for $350 or less, I would recommend Koa Pili Koko for soprano, concert, and tenor. They are well built, are made of solid wood, look a lot like koa, and sound at least as good as Ponos. Check them out here.

wow those are nice! i like how they use rosewood for the freboard, bridge, AND the nut and saddle.

also like how the neck width at the nut is 1-7/16".

so GX, you actually got to try one of these out?

reason being, im about to make an impulse buy on a pono solid mahogany cutaway. ive never even tried one out, but aparently everyone that has played a pono says they sound great. but for the most part im assuming that they were all playing the koa models. only thing holding me back, i guess, is just that i dont know what kind of tone to expect from a solid mahogany body.

then you show me these. hahaha.

nuke buy the pono solid koa $750 one!

then tell me what its like ;)

too late. got the mahogany.

im going to have a uke up for sale real soon here. hahaha.

wow those are nice! i like how they use rosewood for the freboard, bridge, AND the nut and saddle.

reason being, im about to make an impulse buy on a pono solid mahogany cutaway. ive never even tried one out, but aparently everyone that has played a pono says they sound great. but for the most part im assuming that they were all playing the koa models. only thing holding me back, i guess, is just that i dont know what kind of tone to expect from a solid mahogany body.

Hey Nuker..
I have a solid Mohagany Pono PTE.....sick!! It has a really unique rich deep sound to it that is guitar-like. I just ordered a curly mango delux w/cedar top Pono PTMS2-CE...I miss that cut away I sold to BJ..haha..:eek:

"Australian Koa"?

I think this is made out of what used to be called "Australian Koa"...an acacia relative of Hawaiian Koa. Hawaii sent a "letter" to Australia demanding that they do not use the term "Koa", as it is only native to Hawaii (Big Island).

Still looks really nice for the price though!

Last edited:
Which One?

There's not even a remote comparison between the models you listed. I've owned all three and the Pono is far above the Jenny and Kala models. IMHO.

However, for $350 or less, I would recommend Koa Pili Koko for soprano, concert, and tenor. They are well built, are made of solid wood, look a lot like koa, and sound at least as good as Ponos.
I like the specs of the Koa Pili Kokos, but there's something about the bridge design that reminds me of lips stuffed with Botox.

Hey Doc, sorry I was too late to respond (I see you already got the Pono). I got to try the Koa Pili Koko ukes in Oahu last month. The ones I tried were very well made (as opposed to a KoAlana concert I had one time that had some bad workmanship). They are heavier than I thought but not overly so. I thought the tone and volume were very nice on those. I also own a Pono cedar top tenor and tried some in Oahu as well. I think they are basically in the same category and are nice ukes. However since the Koa Pili Koko ukes cost less, to me they are a better buy. Of course, if you desire high gloss and some of the other appointments that are on the Ponos, then that would be a good way to go.

Hey Doc, sorry I was too late to respond (I see you already got the Pono). I got to try the Koa Pili Koko ukes in Oahu last month. The ones I tried were very well made (as opposed to a KoAlana concert I had one time that had some bad workmanship). They are heavier than I thought but not overly so. I thought the tone and volume were very nice on those. I also own a Pono cedar top tenor and tried some in Oahu as well. I think they are basically in the same category and are nice ukes. However since the Koa Pili Koko ukes cost less, to me they are a better buy. Of course, if you desire high gloss and some of the other appointments that are on the Ponos, then that would be a good way to go.

yeah im a little notorious for impulse buys. haha. but the high gloss finish was a plus for me. it also comes with a pickup, so i can use it for performances too. i dont think any of the KPK ukes listed had a pickup. also, there was something about the way the headstocks were shaped on the KPKs. and the cutaway on the pono was a big selling point for me as well. damn im kicking myself for spending this money, but hey whatever. i should have her by friday. cant wait! ill put up a review and a video once i get nice and acquainted with her.

you could try the Ayers solid mahogany soprano uke, made in Vietnam--a friend of mine brought one new for $300.00 Australian--nice.

kind regards,
Michael

oops--late, and didn't read before posting--sorry (but if anyone else is interested, the Ayers uke is worth a close look at this price.

michael

Aldrine just called me to tell me about the Koa Pili Koko ukes. He played one today and he said it sounded good.

hah. You can never go wrong with Pono. they have great sound and quality.

well if thats not endorsement enough... ;)

It was funny, He was telling me about them on the phone and we were both googling it at the same time. Then he's like, "uh... someone posted it on our forums already..."

SORRY ABOUT THAT! ~ I WANT A TENOR AND FIND IT DIFFICULT TO CHOOSE WHICH ONE, ESPECIALLY HAVING TO PURCHASE BLINDLY FROM THE INTERNET. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS :)

Top Bottom