What are the best uke strings

jeric

Reaction score
By that I mean is there any set of strings better than Worth, Aquila, or Ko`olau gold?

I like how the Aquilas feel and sound. Then again, I'm only comparing them to GHS and Martin strings.

There are quite a few factors involved. There are alot of threads about this, you should search and dig em up, there's A LOT of info.

Its based on personal preference.
I really dont like the Aquilias. I had them on before and it just didnt sound right to my ears and the tension was... errr :uhoh: well thats my opinion and im sure there alot of people that love Aquilas.. then again, personal choice.

I had Worths Clear on. They were pretty awesome. Very suttle, soft against your fingers.

I also tried the Ko'olaui Low g AND the new High C wound!
It sounded really mellow and the C string would resonate for quite along time.

Finally i got around to getting the D'Adrios (j71) i think?
im sure thats the one that aldrines using on mika, but then again i could be wrong.
Im starting to like this the more i play . Its going to take priobably a month or 2 to settle in properly. ive only had them on for a 2 or 3 weeks.

From my findings that is kind of like asking which is better "Blondes,Brunettes or Redheads?"

They all all the same but WAYYYY different.

Both Jake and Aldrine use D'addario strings, but they're not the readily available uke string sets that most dealers sell.

It really depends on your uke though. Some ukes need bright strings like Worth Browns to help it out while others benefit from darker sounding strings. Add to that personal preference. Best thing is just to experiment until you find something you really like.

I have Worth Clear, Medium Tension strings on both of my sopranos. They're very easy on my fingers and have benefitted both of my ukes. They made my Flea warmer sounding, and mellowed out my koa quite a bit from the loud punch it produced with Aquilas.

So yeah, I like Worths. :-D

Okay, I'll bite -

What are the best uke strings? Classical Guitar strings (see Grappler's post).

Of course, depends on the builder, and not necessarily the player.

2nd paragraph
http://www.ukuleles.com/Technology/strings.html

Of course, since Jake was mentioned
http://www.daddario.com/DADArtistDetail.aspx?CodaID=6115&ID=5

Here's the thing, do D'Addario's work for Jake, or Kamaka?

A little mongoose told me that MGM may be working on bringing in some high end Classical Guitar strings, packaged specifically for `ukulele. Don't get too excited, he probably won't be stringing $200 instruments with $20 strings. $2K instruments, okay, you'll probably see them there.

That being said, the best strings are the ones that work, for your instrument.

-Aaron

Okay, I'll bite -

What are the best uke strings? Classical Guitar strings (see Grappler's post).

Of course, depends on the builder, and not necessarily the player.

2nd paragraph
http://www.ukuleles.com/Technology/strings.html

Of course, since Jake was mentioned
http://www.daddario.com/DADArtistDetail.aspx?CodaID=6115&ID=5

Here's the thing, do D'Addario's work for Jake, or Kamaka?

A little mongoose told me that MGM may be working on bringing in some high end Classical Guitar strings, packaged specifically for `ukulele. Don't get too excited, he probably won't be stringing $200 instruments with $20 strings. $2K instruments, okay, you'll probably see them there.

That being said, the best strings are the ones that work, for your instrument.

-Aaron

Although if you order 'em at the same time, (and before he ships 'em off with his team of supersonic reindeer) MGM will sometimes do custom restrings for you, if you ask him nice and he's not too busy, even with cheaper ukes.

Although if you order 'em at the same time, (and before he ships 'em off with his team of supersonic reindeer) MGM will sometimes do custom restrings for you, if you ask him nice and he's not too busy, even with cheaper ukes.

I think he restrings and sets action on most of his `ukulele, but not all of them. Side note: I would imagine most of his `ukulele are cheaper ones, because that's what his market normally drives, and that's where most of his energy is probably spent.

Nice thing about MGM, he runs the gamut of price range, and I'm fairly confident that he's not doing any major surgery on his local factory instruments in the $500 to $1K range. Meaning, he sells less of his instruments above $1K, but he does far less work on them (if any).

Fortunately for him, most of his customers are wrapped by the Aquila bug (or Worth), so to swap strings sets is a simple cost passed onto the customer, or eaten by him as a cost of doing business.

I say fortunately for him, because, at the lower price range, if his customers found out which strings he really likes for himself, and they chose those instead, he would have to either increase his prices, or take a 5-20% hit in cost just for swapping strings. Not very good business sense.

Top Bottom