Which ukulele is next?

khairijamian

Reaction score
Aloha!

I'm buying my 3rd uke real soon, the 1st one was Lanikai LU-11 soprano, 2nd is Ohana SK-20 soprano. So, a solid wood soprano is next! It might be an intermediate uke, so after a few online research, I came out with this two ukes, the BRÜKO NO. 6 (Flat) and MELE STANDARD MAHOGANY SOPRANO.

I'm in absolute doubt, which one should it be. Mele uke are constructed in Philippines and finished in Hawaii for final setups, while Brükos is made solely in Germany. Both are solid mahogany models and I have no other choices other than these two! What do you think? I prefer louder ukuleles!

Thank you, good day people!

Last edited:
Here's the sound sample from the Mele;

[video=facebook;2244383063977]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2244383063977[/video]

and one for the Brüko;

Tell me what's on your mind!

Mele......

Personally I prefer the sound and aesthetics of the Bruko too. But it isn't me that's living with it! Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, which one do YOU prefer?

Personally I prefer the sound and aesthetics of the Bruko too. But it isn't me that's living with it! Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, which one do YOU prefer?

Both. :D Haha actually I started with Mele and suddenly stumbled on Brüko. Great, simple looks with classic percussive sound. But deep inside I admit I'm quite hooked with Meles. Hard choice's going on. I guess I might be going on with Brüko soon. The sound is similar for both? Brüko got maple necks though. Anyway thanks for your opinion! :)

I've got the Brüko #6 and love it. But that's not to say the Mele is not a good choice. If only you could hear and see both in person your choice would be easier. Sound samples mean little to me. I would add the feel of the Brüko is like no other I have played. What incredible, solid, quality construction.

I've got the Brüko #6 and love it. But that's not to say the Mele is not a good choice. If only you could hear and see both in person your choice would be easier. Sound samples mean little to me. I would add the feel of the Brüko is like no other I have played. What incredible, solid, quality construction.

I hope that I could hear, see, play both by myself, but sadly, it's a local online store which sells the ukes. :( Research are based on YouTube videos, blog reviews, and from UU Forum feedbacks. From Google Images, I could conclude that Brüko got the construction so perfect. Neatly put together, love their simple looks. Maybe it's just that Philippine thingy that made me uncomfortable (slightly) with Meles. Brükos are 100% handcrafted in Germany! Kudos!

I had a Mele 8 string uke for a while, but didn't like the neck. It had a different feel than other ukes I've had. If I remember it was thinner or not as deep in the curve. It sounded okay though. I like the Bruko for the sound and looks, but you'll have to live with it so get what you feel you'll be happy with.

Also there was a problem with the neck set. I sanded down the bridge as low as it could go and the action was still high.

Not to put down the Brüko or anything (because everyone at my Ukulele Meet-up seems to have one) but the neck is one piece. That is, the frets are hammered directly into the neck so there is no fretboard or anything- Rather, the neck itself is the fretboard. I was surprised when I actually saw one in person (at my local uke shop), but having played a few at meet-ups, the neck is very wide and extremely comfortable.

So much so that I've been seriously considering getting a custom one...

Not to put down the Brüko or anything (because everyone at my Ukulele Meet-up seems to have one) but the neck is one piece. That is, the frets are hammered directly into the neck so there is no fretboard or anything- Rather, the neck itself is the fretboard. I was surprised when I actually saw one in person (at my local uke shop), but having played a few at meet-ups, the neck is very wide and extremely comfortable.

So what you're saying is that the Brüko is made in the original, traditional style?

Many of the ukuleles I've seen/played form the 1920s and before don't have a separate fretboard- the frets go right into the neck. That's the way my 1925-ish Stella banjo uke is made, and it plays just fine.

(Not that there's anything wrong with a separate fretboard, mind you - that's how all of my modern instruments are built.)

-Kurt

I had a Mele 8 string uke for a while, but didn't like the neck. It had a different feel than other ukes I've had. If I remember it was thinner or not as deep in the curve. It sounded okay though. I like the Bruko for the sound and looks, but you'll have to live with it so get what you feel you'll be happy with.

Also there was a problem with the neck set. I sanded down the bridge as low as it could go and the action was still high.

How do you rate your Mele based on look, sound, sustain, feel, etc.?

So much so that I've been seriously considering getting a custom one...

I got large palms so a wide neck will do! :D

So what you're saying is that the Brüko is made in the original, traditional style?

Many of the ukuleles I've seen/played form the 1920s and before don't have a separate fretboard- the frets go right into the neck. That's the way my 1925-ish Stella banjo uke is made, and it plays just fine.

(Not that there's anything wrong with a separate fretboard, mind you - that's how all of my modern instruments are built.)

-Kurt

Brüko got the traditional construction! Don't you think so? :D Based on the sound samples & videos I've seen, yeah, even the sound itself got the classic percussive sound. But I'm getting the flat version of the #6, would it affect the sound?

Oh, I wasn't saying that it affected playability- The Brükos are awesome instruments, and cheap if you live in Germany. It's just the first thing that jumped out at me- I was very surprised when I actually got to hold one, since all the others I've tried had a fretboard.

I definitely see one in my future, though- I'm even considering a custom build.

Top Bottom