Recording is HARD :(

VengefulTikiGod

Reaction score
Struggling my way through recording an original tune with Audacity on Windows. Harder than it seems at first. As a less-than-brilliant singer, getting a good vocal track with consistent volume throughout is very tricky. One verse that's too quiet kills the song. My USB mic is pretty unforgiving about that, haha. I'll probably go through and rerecord it again. Ah well. Best I can do without a proper studio set-up, I suppose. And of course, studio magic can't fix bad recording skills. I'm working on it. Give me some time :)

Best case scenario, the end result will be a YouTube video sync'd to a multi-track tune (vocals, uke, bass, percussion). With any luck I'll get it done this weekend. Wish me luck!

Venge,

Record it a hundred times. I like to think of them as "practice recordings". You'll gain recording skill just like you'll gain playing skill. Soon it will all feel familar and you'll start hearing good mic position, eq and what effects enhance the sound. Getting flawless results the first time you record is a little like picking up a tuba the first time and expecting to be able to audition for the New York Philharmonic.

You'll also find good advice on some of the recording message boards online.

Hmm, I should think about doing a computer recording. Right now, I've been using one of those small digital voice recorders to record myself. I'm a bad singer as it is...that thing makes my singing purely awful.

So I'm sure your recordings aren't as bad as mine. :)

double the tracks. it will give the song a fuller sound. Just copy/paste the track into a new one. This of course won't help if you really can't sing or play, but if you can, this double effect will give it a fuller sound.

thats cool, i noticed that whenever I record myself and my uke, it sounds very plain and empty

What about enabling some volume automation to fix some issues?

It might not work well if you don't have a super clean track and have some noise coming into the mic (some low gain hissing/mechanical noise)

Or perhaps you could try recording multiple takes and put together the best parts of different takes. It's called comping.

... try having to use ur recordings with ur phone. i sould 100 time betters in real life than on my phone.

Top Bottom