Good friction tuners for tenor?

Hey, Doc!

We/ve been testing friction pegs lately and may offer them on our instruments.

The higher end Grover 4 series is awfully nice - that's probably where we'll go. Some people like the deluxe Champions, they have a big screw on top for quick tension adjustment (thumb - no screwdriver) - for a performer that might be a good option.

For strings - might I humbly suggest you look at ours:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm

I haven't tried them on a tenor but if I did I'd probably try the Gotoh UKA series - they're much better than the UKB series that you find on a lof of even fairly nice ukes. UKBs were on my Kiwaya KSL02 and that's why I have a couple of sets of UKAs 'cause the tuners on the Kiwaya definitely needed help. I decided that if I was going to pay shipping for one set I might as well get two because chances are I'll have another uke some day that needs better tuners.

I've thought about putting the extra set on one of my tenors but, honestly, I don't play my tenors often enough to justify the trouble.

John

Thanks, folks - I don't play the tenor much either, but I have one - an inexpensive 'Brunswick', which is fairly nice. I just can't stand those guitar style tuners....they look so out of place, and I reckoned I'd swap them for some Grovers. I'm not certain which size and model number would be the right one. As for strings, I like regular nylon with a warmer, mellower sound than the Aquila nylguts.

...I reckoned I'd swap them for some Grovers. I'm not certain which size and model number would be the right one....

Look at the 1st number with Grovers. The Champion Deluxe starts with a 1 - the 4 series is, of course, a 4. The other letters are for buttons (W=white, etc. and) finish (G= gold, etc.).

On strings, we have standard and "Soft" versions of 2 of our high re-entrant set. Sounds like the soft for you, Doc.

Top Bottom