HD camera + which retro mic?

garywj

Reaction score
I'm setting up a new "studio" (using the term very loosely). I have a Canon M400 camera. I'd like to have a retro looking microphone that would work well and not empty my bank account. I've looked at the Nady PCM 100 condensor mic. I would have to use a phantom supply and hopefully be able to find a cable to interface with the camera (mini). Anyone already done this before, or have suggestions? My YouTube channel (link below) has some of my videos that are examples of what I want to do (with the addition of a closer microphone). Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Gary,

I doubt if you will find an old style condenser mic cheaper than the Nady PCM 100 you are looking at that would be worth having.

Here is a site with some nifty old mics you can't have;
http://www.k9toa.net/

I did a quick search and ended up at a website with a $9.00 retro looking mic. The site also included a lot of women who had lost their clothes somewhere. I don't think that the $9 mic is what you are after.

We get Phantom power from Our Mackie 402-VLZ3 mixer (around $100.00). There you could use a tape-output (RCA) and with the right Radio Shack adapters, get it into your camera. There are cheaper desktop mixers, (Behringer comes to mind), but the quality of the Mackie is worth the extra money. I gave my Behringer to my daughter and that is still working fine.

--------Edit----------

You could simultaneously record into the computer on a multitracking program like Kristal or Audacity so you could do some editing on the audio program before importing into the video editor.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Doug for the input. I am going to try a Marshall MXL 990 and Tube MP Studio Preamplifier by ART in a couple of days. I will report on the forum how it works out. The microphone is not as "retro" as I had in mind, but if it sounds good I will, it will work for me. The link is great. I recognize some of those old microphones. I have been a ham radio operator since 1956. A few of those I have owned :)

Last edited:
I recognize some of those old microphones. I have been a ham radio operator since 1956. A few of those I have owned

Well I was starting to think about entering kindergarten in 1956 and not thinking much about microphones. There is a guy in a small town near here with a little museum, he has a few of those mics also.

I bought a Tube MP Studio Preamplifier by ART, and never got around to using it until more than a year after I bought it and I happened to get a dud, didn't work at all and it was too late for a warranty. Reading about the Tube MP Studio on the Internet it seems that my experience was the exception and most people have had good experiences with them.

Post back when you get your setup working and let us know how it works out for you.

Doug

I saved a few dollars and picked up the tube MP project series. It had everything I needed in a simple tube preamp and it sounds great. I'm using an MXL 4000 for my vocals and the 603 (I believe) for instrument recording. Was going straight into a behringer xenyx 1222 but wanted to get a little more warmth from my recordings.

I got the new microphone system working today. It is the MXL 990 and Tube MP Studio Preamplifier by ART. After playing with it for a couple of hours I got the setting on the camera and preamp working. I hope to be able to record and post a video with it in the next couple of days. The off camera mic allows me to balance the uke and my voice without having to strain to sing louder. It also has a warmer sound that the camera mics. I forgot to order a pop filter, so that will be an addition soon. It is needed. Once I make the video I will be able to do a real comparison with some of my others. So far I am happy with the early results.

My newest song is using the new microphone setup. An off-camera microphone and preamp was used so that the ukulele doesn't drowned out my voice - sorry about that! Collings UT-3 ukulele, Marshall MXL 990 microphone and ART Tube MP Studio preamp. Most of my other YouTube videos use the on-camera microphone. I think the audio is much better with the new setup. I've got some tweaking to do on the system adjustments. Your input is appreciated.

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/ZCG9KQFnClA

Gary,

Listening to the new video compared to previous on-camera mic videos, your voice is a lot fuller with the new setup. In some of the other videos, your voice is lost behind the uke.

I've noticed that when we record at home with a condenser mic, the sound is a lot better when we take the time to set up some sort of sound absorbing acoustic barrier using blankets or foam pads. Without the the acoustic barrier, we pick up a lot of room noise, like recording in a cave.

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the input. That is the same conclusion I came to. I can't do much about modifying my "studio". The kitchen sink top is to the right and my printer to the left in my videos. Our home is a 40ft fifth-wheel. Not much space to echo in, but I do have to be careful about noise. I record while my wife is reading in her room (the bedroom) ;-) Here is a picture of the "studio" below. I am happy with the results so far.

66971_1200415907089_1729306413_381088_6647163_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here's where I am at. I gave up and purchased the Beachtek DXA-2T to get the MXL990 to work with the Canon. It worked great right out of the box. Now I have an extra channel for the instrument if I want to use it. I recommend the Beachtek device.

Gary,

Sounds like you really have your setup under control now. You probably learned years ago from your ham radio hobby that there is always one more thing that you gotta have. By the way, your rolling 5th wheel studio looks impeccable.

Doug

Last edited:
Top Bottom