what the heck??

uke142464

Reaction score
did anyone elso notic e that in almost all dictionary definitions of ukulele, they call it a small 4 stringed GUITAR? and they say it is of hawaiian origin when really it was portuguese. they need to get to work an research this stuff

did anyone elso notic e that in almost all dictionary definitions of ukulele, they call it a small 4 stringed GUITAR? and they say it is of hawaiian origin when really it was portuguese. they need to get to work an research this stuff

Perhaps it's a member of the guitar family, in the way that the cello is part of the violin family. Or is it? The guitar is really a relative of the lute.

I agree that it's a lousy description. You don't call the cello a "large violin."

Next time you write about the guitar, call it "an instrument derivitave of the lute". That'll get em!:D

Yeah I think technically it is part of the guitar family. The same way the piano is part of strings. I think while technically it was inspired by Portugese instruments the first thing that you could pick up and play and call a ukulele originated in Hawaii.

Yeah I guess technically the hammers do hit the strings. It's often considered as part of both but I'm going to look it up for clarification!

As far as I can see it's considered to be part of both, helpful...

Figure this one out...

strohbrass.jpg

Isn't the ukulele kind of a small-scale, nylon strung 4-string guitar? It and the cavaquinho are both in the guitar family, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm fairly certain that the cavaquinho descended from other instruments in the guitar family. The ukulele does tie back to the guitar ultimately, and the lute before that and so forth. So to call it a small 4-string guitar isn't entirely incorrect.

I think while technically it was inspired by Portugese instruments the first thing that you could pick up and play and call a ukulele originated in Hawaii.

I believe the Portugese (techinically Madeiran) Machete is identical to the Ukulele except it was tuned differently. This being said, there is no difference physically between a violin and a fiddle either. So, maybe it is not the instrument that matters so much, as whose hands it is in.

Check out this story it is a pretty good read. It should be called, "Everything you ever wanted to know about the ukulele, but were afraid to ask:)

I believe the Portugese (techinically Madeiran) Machete is identical to the Ukulele except it was tuned differently. This being said, there is no difference physically between a violin and a fiddle either. So, maybe it is not the instrument that matters so much, as whose hands it is in.

Check out this story it is a pretty good read. It should be called, "Everything you ever wanted to know about the ukulele, but were afraid to ask:)
But there is a difference between a Machete/Cavaquinho and a uke.......there are no differences between a violin and a fiddle. My Mom played the violin, but she jammed on the fiddle.....the same exact instrument.

Yeah I guess technically the hammers do hit the strings. It's often considered as part of both but I'm going to look it up for clarification!
Like the steel drum....when you play it, its called strumming, not hammering or drumming.....go figure.

*Gasp* there are many problems with today's society of musical instruments.

Grab your torches and spears.....:rock:

*Gasp* there are many problems with today's society of musical instruments.

Grab your torches and spears.....:rock:
They never stay where they're suppose to.....pretty soon ukulele's will be playing jazz, rock and the blues....oh, wait.....they already are! We have anarchy here, I tell you!

Top Bottom