Ukulele Case Humidifiers?

guitarsnrotts

Reaction score
Saw an add for a case humidifier that is a small plastic vial filled with gel beads that you fill with water. How well do these work and could I use a similar device that was designed for cigar humidors? The cigar devices say they are designed to keep a humidor at 70% humidity. Is that too humid for a ukulele?

Others will have more complete info, but from what I know:

1. Can you use the humidifier for your uke? Yes. In fact many DIY humidifiers seem to be almost identical to this one, and get raves.
2. Is 70% too humid for a uke? I think so. The rule of thumb seems to be that between 40 - 60% is about right. Any less gives a risk of cracks and more gives a risk of warping.

But as I said, others will probably have more, and more complete, info.

All humidifiers will emit a certain amount of moisture. How much you need and at what rate depends on your conditions. Beyond that, the more you pay the more you'll get. Some hang inside the instrument while others simply live in the accessories compartment of the case. Some will have built in metering. Others, like the Oasis will indicate when they need refilling which is a nice option.

The heck with buying them, you can make your own really cheap:
http://www.box.net/shared/nnnvom0q10

I made 8 of them out of a $1.99 bag of those crystals and 8 empty prescription bottles with some self adhesive velcro to stick to the case.

Dan

I use the Oasis that Chuck Moore mentioned - they work great.

The heck with buying them, you can make your own really cheap:
http://www.box.net/shared/nnnvom0q10

I made 8 of them out of a $1.99 bag of those crystals and 8 empty prescription bottles with some self adhesive velcro to stick to the case.
Dan

+1

Spots gave directions for them, too. Cheap and easy. They take forever to dry out, too. Bonus right there.

I have the answer to ALL the questions relating to humidifers- and it is this: Move to the North of England where I live!!! Moisture is in plentiful supply here.

Top Bottom