Baritone with GCEA strings?....

notalent31

Reaction score
I'm assuming that if I string a baritone uke with GCEA strings that I"ll have no problem playing it properly in the GCEA mode?

Truth be told, there are really no such things as "GCEA" strings. If you have a set that gives good tension tuned to key of C (that is to say: G"C"EA) on a soprano, those strings will be way too taught on a Baritone unless you lower the tuning.

For key of C on a Baritone, you need strings designed for that purpose.

I bought Aquilla strings designed for the purpose but most string manufacturers make strings for tuning a baritone to GCEA tuning. I decided to go back to regular baritone DGBE strings but the GCEA strings worked fine on my baritone.

I'm assuming that if I string a baritone uke with GCEA strings that I"ll have no problem playing it properly in the GCEA mode?

No problem at all. I have my Favilla Baritone strung with Southcoast's linear set tuned to GCEA and they work fine. I haven't tried any other of GCEA sets designed for baritone but by all accounts here, it's done all the time. I really like my baritone tuned to C. Enjoy.

I used Aquila GCEA on a baritone, but went back to DGBE, I missed that deep growl of a baritone.

Baritone with GCEA Strings?

Your reply was just about the only positive one, unless I misunderstand the other replys.

My reason for using GCEA strings on a baritone is that many of the songs available to me are all in GCEA tuning and not DGBE like my baritone is. So, I thought by purchasing another baritone uke and using the GCEA strings, that I could then play all those songs written for a uke tuned to GCEA? Am I wrong?..

I already have a baritone uke that I like very much. I do prefer the "deeper" tones I get from the baritone. So, I would guess by putting GCEA strings on a baritone uke, I'd then get the deeper uke tone that I like.

Please correct me if I"m wrong. Some of the other replies I've gotten here don't seem to agree with my thoughts on this. I sure could use some more info on this.

I didn't think my Pono baritone with GCEA strings sounded as good as tenor ukes I have played...didn't have as much 'ring' as a Lanikai laminated tenor I borrowed. Although it sounded fine I didn't play it much so I changed back to baritone strings.

I have played guitars for quite a while and thus used to be somewhat of a baritone 'snob'. I've grown to like the sound of a regular uke, so I recently ordered a tenor uke. It definitely will be nice to skip transposing chord shapes on the fly when playing music written with GCEA chording.

Your reply was just about the only positive one, unless I misunderstand the other replys.

My reason for using GCEA strings on a baritone is that many of the songs available to me are all in GCEA tuning and not DGBE like my baritone is. So, I thought by purchasing another baritone uke and using the GCEA strings, that I could then play all those songs written for a uke tuned to GCEA? Am I wrong?..

I already have a baritone uke that I like very much. I do prefer the "deeper" tones I get from the baritone. So, I would guess by putting GCEA strings on a baritone uke, I'd then get the deeper uke tone that I like.

Please correct me if I"m wrong. Some of the other replies I've gotten here don't seem to agree with my thoughts on this. I sure could use some more info on this.

You CAN tune a baritone ukulele to GCEA. The point some people were trying to make is that you can't just go out and buy any strings and tune them to GCEA; you have to buy strings specifically made to be tuned to GCEA on a baritone ukulele. A baritoned tuned to GCEA will sound sort of like a deeper tenor, in the way that a tenor sounds a bit deeper than a concert, because of the longer string length and the bigger soundbox. There's really no mystery. Just find strings that are made for a baritone and made for GCEA tuning. Southcoast makes great GCEA baritone strings, but you can also get them from Aquila.

Yes, just re-iterating, you have to use the right strings for the job.
You can't just slap on a soprano, concert or tenor string set on a baritone and expect it to work.

What I wonder is why Aquila don't have a baritone GCEA set with a low-G.
You would think on a baritone size, a low-G would make sense. But no, they only have the re-entrant set widely available.

Truth be told, there are really no such things as "GCEA" strings...

I caused a bit of confusion here - my apologies. I knew that Aquila had a high re-entrant set for C tuning on a Baritone, but fogot that they actually do call it "Baritone GCEA".

What I was trying to say is what kissing said much better just above.

kissing - I'm not sure why more people don't offer the low G string set-up on a Baritone. It's actually a better fit there than on a Tenor (and also a much better sound on a Baritone than the high re-entrant). I'm pretty sure we were the first, and still the only.

talent, whether you choose a high re-entrant set like Aquila, or a low 4th set from us, you'll play everyting the same way and in the same pitch as C tuning on a Soprano.

The low 4th is the better choice in my view, not only because it sounds better on a Baritone, but gives you two more distict sounds to play with & two instruments with different options when it comes to picking.

I agree with all said on the Low fourth string for Baritone. I first tuned my Bari to C6 because my wife watches my hands when she is learning and could not do so when I played Bari. I originally used Aquilla high re-entrant strings and the Bari lost all of it's boom and sparkle.
I then tried Southcoast linear strings and I love them- low G gives the proper amount of boom and they sustain forever. I find I like them better than standard Baritone now as I found the 3rd and 4th Bari strings (often wound) to be too over-powering of the top end.
That said, you can play any GCEA tune on a Bari, and even use the chord shapes you find in books, the tune will just be lower. You can also ignore the chord diagrams and buy a cool little stamp that will allow you put your own in.

I have the silver-plated copper version of the Guadalupe one octave below GCEA strings on my Mainland Mahogany bari thanks to Mark. When I put them on yesterday they didn't sound too hot but after a day of settling in they sound pretty good. I had the brass plated ones before (on my deep-bodied koa bari) and and they never seemed to settle in; they always sounded muddy when strummed. Sounded good when picked though. The silver coated seems to be a much better fit for the baritone.

I'm planning to leave these on for a while to see how it goes. I previously had the Southcoast linears on the Mainland and those sounded great too. I like the deep sound of the one octave below strings a lot though - sounds very guitary (which I like).

Top Bottom