Hello to UU! I'm brand new to the ukelele

speedwell

Reaction score
Hello, folks. I'm a middle-aged Houston woman who majored in music in college. I play classical piano, and I can sing and conduct choirs. I always wanted to play a lute-like instrument, but the guitar felt very awkward and, besides, my little baby hands that can stretch an octave and one on the piano still can't wrap completely around a guitar neck. I wished, frequently, that there was a half-size guitar like the half-size violins made for kids. Back in the 80s, though, nobody thought about the ukulele, and I gave up.

The other day I was visiting my friend in Phoenix, and we spent the day at the Musical Instruments Museum. (By the way, it is a supreme and lovely experience and I urge you to go if you ever get a chance.) In their gift shop, they had some beginner-quality soprano ukuleles for sale. I remembered a chat friend who said he played one. As soon as I picked one up, I realized that it was what I was looking for. It fit my body. It fit my hands. It fit my ears. I found myself the proud owner of a Kala MK-S. Soon enough I will want a fine quality instrument with all of the bells and whistles, but for now I am happy with this one.

I have no intention of using the instrument to create some sort of "Hawaiian" experience, to be honest. I just want to create a friendly accompaniment for singing, a pleasant meditative sound to break the silence when it gets a bit too quiet, a way to introduce myself to people and make new friends. I will want to quickly learn a moderate amount of chord structure and then move on to classical-style scales, arpeggios, and so forth. I'll appreciate any advice you can give me as to what the best threads are to learn from.

Thanks to the mods and everyone else who loves the ukulele!

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. Like yourself, I'm new to the UU and I find all the tips and resources found within the forum excellent.
Best of luck with your new little friend!

Don
PelicanUkuleles

Welcome here !

There are a lot of ressources, tutorials and lessons here that will help you.

Hello, folks. I'm a middle-aged Houston woman who majored in music in college. I play classical piano, and I can sing and conduct choirs. I always wanted to play a lute-like instrument, but the guitar felt very awkward and, besides, my little baby hands that can stretch an octave and one on the piano still can't wrap completely around a guitar neck. I wished, frequently, that there was a half-size guitar like the half-size violins made for kids. Back in the 80s, though, nobody thought about the ukulele, and I gave up.

The other day I was visiting my friend in Phoenix, and we spent the day at the Musical Instruments Museum. (By the way, it is a supreme and lovely experience and I urge you to go if you ever get a chance.) In their gift shop, they had some beginner-quality soprano ukuleles for sale. I remembered a chat friend who said he played one. As soon as I picked one up, I realized that it was what I was looking for. It fit my body. It fit my hands. It fit my ears. I found myself the proud owner of a Kala MK-S. Soon enough I will want a fine quality instrument with all of the bells and whistles, but for now I am happy with this one.

I have no intention of using the instrument to create some sort of "Hawaiian" experience, to be honest. I just want to create a friendly accompaniment for singing, a pleasant meditative sound to break the silence when it gets a bit too quiet, a way to introduce myself to people and make new friends. I will want to quickly learn a moderate amount of chord structure and then move on to classical-style scales, arpeggios, and so forth. I'll appreciate any advice you can give me as to what the best threads are to learn from.

Thanks to the mods and everyone else who loves the ukulele!

Congrats on the new uke and welcome to UU. Glad to have you here!!

Welcome! It sounds like your on the right track to enjoying the Uke. The soprano has it's unique, wonderful sound which fits into many genres. Keep us updated on your progress.

Welcome to the Forum! We have a similar background and goals. Isn't the ukulele a fun instrument?

Welcome to UU - it's a great place to be. i can relate to your post. The uke is a great companion. You can take it seriously, or you can be light-hearted. It's an all-around great instrument that just feels right. Enjoy!

welcome aboard :) i have only been on here a week and only been playing uke since, played another gig with the society i belong to last night at a local pub. anyway have fun and everyone seems so friendly and helpfull on here, i guess its because we are all uke addicts :)

Welcome to the underground......congratulations on your new uke!!!!!
Glad you joined us!!

Top Bottom