UFC 136: EDGAR vs. MAYNARD III

KimosTherapy

Reaction score
UFC 136: EDGAR vs. MAYNARD III This Saturday October 8 in Houston, TX. UFC 136 is loaded with a bunch of good matchups.

Here's the fight card:

Main Card:

-Frankie Edgar(13-1-1) 5'6", 155lbs vs. Gray Maynard(11-0-1,NC) 5 '8" , 155lbs

-Jose Aldo(19-1) 5'7", 145lbs vs. Kenny Florian(16-5) 5'10", 145lbs

-Chael Sonnen(26-10-1) 6'1", 185lbs vs. Brian Stann(11-3) 6'1", 185lbs

-Melvin Guillard(46-9-3) 5'9", 155lbs vs. Joe Lauzon(20-6) 5'10", 155lbs

Prelims:

-Leonard Garcia(19-7-1) 5'10", 145lbs vs. Nam Phan(16-10) 5'6", 145lbs

-Demian Maia(14-3) 6'0", 185lbs vs. Jorge Santiago(23-9) 6'1", 1 85lbs

-Anthony Pettis(11-2) 5'10", 155lbs vs. Jeremy Stephens(20-6) 5'9", 155lbs

-Joey Beltran(13-5) 6'1", 240lbs vs. Stipe Miocic(6-0)

-Tiequzn Zhang(18-1) 5'8", 145lbs vs. Darren Elkins(13-2) 5'10", 145lbs

-Aaron Simpson(9-2) 6'0", 185lbs vs. Eric Schafer(14-5-2) 6'3", 185lbs

-Steve Cantwell(7-4) 6'2", 185lbs vs. Mike Massenzio(12-5) 6'2", 205lbs

Here's my picks for the more notable fights:

-Edgar over Maynard

-Aldo over Florian

-Stann over Sonnen

-Guillard over Lauzon

-Garcia over Phan

-Maia over Santiago

-Pettis over Stephens

C'mon all of you MMA enthusiasts. I know you're out there. Post your thoughts and picks. No one responded to my post for UFC LIVE 6.:(

UFC 136: EDGAR vs. MAYNARD III This Saturday October 8 in Houston, TX. UFC 136 is loaded with a bunch of good matchups.

Here's the fight card:

Main Card:

-Frankie Edgar(13-1-1) 5'6", 155lbs vs. Gray Maynard(11-0-1,NC) 5 '8" , 155lbs I think the Bully wins and ends this line of fights... no need for a 4th.

-Jose Aldo(19-1) 5'7", 145lbs vs. Kenny Florian(16-5) 5'10", 145lbs Aldo SHOULD win this, but it all depends on how in shape he shows up. Ken Flo will come in peak condition. Aldo didn't look his best against Hominick in the championship rounds.

-Chael Sonnen(26-10-1) 6'1", 185lbs vs. Brian Stann(11-3) 6'1", 185lbs Sonnen should tear through Stann. Stann has massive KO power, however his technique is questionable and Sonnen is just too aggressive. GNP until the ref stops it.

-Melvin Guillard(46-9-3) 5'9", 155lbs vs. Joe Lauzon(20-6) 5'10", 155lbs I think Guillard is due for another loss. Best value here (if you're a betting man) is on Lauzon. He's a crafty character with slick jiujitsu. He could be getting pounded into the ground and still throw a triangle up. Lauzon here.

Prelims:

-Leonard Garcia(19-7-1) 5'10", 145lbs vs. Nam Phan(16-10) 5'6", 145lbs Leonard Garcia's hands are just a lot better than Phan's, much quicker and much more power and he has a pretty good chin. Garcia will overwhelm Phan early and I don't think this gets past the 2nd round.

-Demian Maia(14-3) 6'0", 185lbs vs. Jorge Santiago(23-9) 6'1", 185lbs Maia all the way here. His striking is much improved and his BJJ is tops in MMA, I don't see how Santiago will be able to deal with it.

-Anthony Pettis(11-2) 5'10", 155lbs vs. Jeremy Stephens(20-6) 5'9", 155lbs Pettis I think is a bit overrated, he blew up after that off the cage kick to Ben Henderson's head. If they fought again, I'm certain Bendo would bend him over. That being said, I think Jeremy Stephens will win this fight. He has more power and is more technically sound in striking. Pettis is flashy, but really doesn't have the power to take Stephens out. He could win it on the ground, but I see Stephens overwhelming him with GNP.

-Joey Beltran(13-5) 6'1", 240lbs vs. Stipe Miocic(6-0) No clue, coin toss says Stipe Miocic.

-Tiequzn Zhang(18-1) 5'8", 145lbs vs. Darren Elkins(13-2) 5'10", 145lbs No clue, coin toss says Elkins.

-Aaron Simpson(9-2) 6'0", 185lbs vs. Eric Schafer(14-5-2) 6'3", 185lbs This one could be a great fight. If Simpson can keep it standing, he'll beat the crap out of Schafer, if it goes to the ground, Red will have it. I flipped a coin and it says Simpson will win by TKO.

-Steve Cantwell(7-4) 6'2", 185lbs vs. Mike Massenzio(12-5) 6'2", 205lbs Cantwell is the winner... by coinflip.

(

My picks are above in bold. Outside of the ME, I think this is a solid card!

Howzit Bruddah ukestah!

Mahalos for your feedback. Good picks Brah! I like da coin toss method! I like your reasons for your choices. One thing about MMA, anything can happen! I cannot wait fo Saturday night!!!

Aloha CNK, not a problem! If I saw your post on the UFC Live I'd have posted there too! I'm not a fighter, never will be, but I love the sport and I have a bbq with friends over every PPV and we jam uke after too!

Have you ever been to a UFC event? I flew up to Montreal to watch Rua v Machida 2, I think it was UFC 113. It was a great experience, but really, once they hit the ground, you're just watching a big screen anyway, mo bettah order it at home. LOL But its something that MMA fans have to do at least once, watch a UFC event live in person, and a good main event is always nice too. -- Dan

Aloha CNK, not a problem! If I saw your post on the UFC Live I'd have posted there too! I'm not a fighter, never will be, but I love the sport and I have a bbq with friends over every PPV and we jam uke after too!

Have you ever been to a UFC event? I flew up to Montreal to watch Rua v Machida 2, I think it was UFC 113. It was a great experience, but really, once they hit the ground, you're just watching a big screen anyway, mo bettah order it at home. LOL But its something that MMA fans have to do at least once, watch a UFC event live in person, and a good main event is always nice too. -- Dan

Ho - Bruddah Dan!

I'm with you Brah! Das da way fo' watch MMA - especially UFC PPV! BBQ ... Ohana ... friends ... ono kine grinds & Kanikapila!!! You know Da KINE -eh!!!

I wen go watch UFC 121 live last year here in Anaheim, CA ... which is one small kine drive from wea I live in Culver City, CA. Da Main Event was Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez. Was good fun, but mo bettah watching at home on PPV with da BBQ & Kanikapila!

Me ... I stay one old fut now, cannot fight anymoa. I wen grow up playing all kine sports including boxing and MMA since small kid time! I wen grow up in Waipahu and wen train in da same gym at da same time Andy Ganigan was a professional boxer and training ova dea. He's a little older den me ... but not too much! All those years of playing sports, boxing , and MMA took its toll on my body. I get all kine aches and pains now - chronic pain Brah! AUWE!!!

Now I stay jus' one spectator. That's good enough fo' me. UFC 136 is definitely a great fight card! I think if I remember correctly, Jose Aldo was injured going into his fight against Mark Hominick. If he's 100% healthy, he going give Kenny Florian dirty lickin'! Brian Stann actually was pretty raw for most of his MMA career. I think just da past year or so, he's finally working with a good MMA Camp and learning a lot of all around skills now. Before, he was jus' all about stand up. He's paying his dues in da gym working on his ground game and jujitsu. Some of the fights are a toss up. Anything can happen. You're right about Pettis. He got schooled by Clay Guida in his first UFC fight! I no like Gray Maynard, but I gotta geev him props! He's a bad ass fighter! Brah - I no can wait until Saturday night!!! Wish I could come ova and watch da fights & Kanikapila with you guys!

Aloha,

Kimo

Last edited:
Eh Kimo, one day if you ever back on Oahu and get UFC, you can come over brah! I 32, so not a young buck, but not one old fut either, right in between. Never could get into any type of martial arts or fighting. I had my share of fights growing up on Maui, win some, lose some, but I never started nothing, always people causing trouble.

Lesnar v Velasquez was a good one to see! Definitely mo bettah at home with the bbq and ukes, but still, a good one to have seen!

You heard what happened to Andy? He got mobbed in Waipahu by three guys and get some brain damage. He get 24 hour care since last year when it happened. Crazy people out there, dunno what da motivation was behind dat. I neva knew Andy, but random as it is, his bro Mike was my resident manager at my first apartment after graduating from UHM! Super nice guy.

I agree, Aldo was just coming back from injury, so he was small kine gassed and looked less than his normal self. But man if he comes in at his best, he going smash Florian. I feel bad for Florian, neva going win one title, but in my eyes one of the best fighters around. Stann impoved choke, but man Sonnen is a beast, roids or not haha. I no like Gray Maynard either, but I no like Frankie Edgar too, I just bored of watching them fight is all. If Edgar win, the score will be 1-1-1, so what? Edgar v Maynard 4? No can li'dat!!!

Eh Kimo, one day if you ever back on Oahu and get UFC, you can come over brah! I 32, so not a young buck, but not one old fut either, right in between. Never could get into any type of martial arts or fighting. I had my share of fights growing up on Maui, win some, lose some, but I never started nothing, always people causing trouble.

Lesnar v Velasquez was a good one to see! Definitely mo bettah at home with the bbq and ukes, but still, a good one to have seen!

You heard what happened to Andy? He got mobbed in Waipahu by three guys and get some brain damage. He get 24 hour care since last year when it happened. Crazy people out there, dunno what da motivation was behind dat. I neva knew Andy, but random as it is, his bro Mike was my resident manager at my first apartment after graduating from UHM! Super nice guy.

I agree, Aldo was just coming back from injury, so he was small kine gassed and looked less than his normal self. But man if he comes in at his best, he going smash Florian. I feel bad for Florian, neva going win one title, but in my eyes one of the best fighters around. Stann impoved choke, but man Sonnen is a beast, roids or not haha. I no like Gray Maynard either, but I no like Frankie Edgar too, I just bored of watching them fight is all. If Edgar win, the score will be 1-1-1, so what? Edgar v Maynard 4? No can li'dat!!!

Eh - Bruddah Dan,

Brah! Why you stay up so early??? It's 1:30am Hawaiian Time! Mahalo for da aloha and inviting me ova fo' watch future UFC fights! All my Ohana stay back home on da islands and I come back fo' visit all da time.

Tonight's da night - UFC 136! I cannot understand why any of da UU Members here neva voice their opinions about the fight card here??? I KNOW there are plenty MMA enthusiasts out there! C'mon UU'ers ... no shame fo' make comments - eh!

Brah, have one good time tonight watching da fights and enjoying da Kanikapila! Wish I could join you!

Last edited:
I agree with your picks with the exception that I think Sonnen will beat Stann.....by take down, and ground and pound. Cheers!

I agree with your picks with the exception that I think Sonnen will beat Stann.....by take down, and ground and pound. Cheers!

Aloha v30!

I was wondering when you were going to post your picks! I'm going with Brian Stann because he's my fellow service member. I served a total of 15 years Active Duty (12 years U.S. Navy-Aviation & 3 years with the U.S. Air Force-Medical). The scary thing with Stann is that most of his fights were fought with no real MMA training. He was doing his training on his own. More recently, he's now training with a good MMA camp and learning grappling, wrestling, jujitsu, muay thai, etc. Can't wait for the fights tonight! Remember, if you're not watching via PPV ... go to the mmatko.com website. They'll post the fight videos shortly after each fight - for free!

Well I gotta admit I didn't anticipate Guillard getting submitted that fast. Although he's very entertaining to watch, I think he was due a lesson in humility....so good on Lauzon!
Not sure what's up with Sonnen wanting to put his and Silva's UFC careers on the line......?

Aloha v30!

I was wondering when you were going to post your picks! I'm going with Brian Stann because he's my fellow service member. I served a total of 15 years Active Duty (12 years U.S. Navy-Aviation & 3 years with the U.S. Air Force-Medical). The scary thing with Stann is that most of his fights were fought with no real MMA training. He was doing his training on his own. More recently, he's now training with a good MMA camp and learning grappling, wrestling, jujitsu, muay thai, etc. Can't wait for the fights tonight! Remember, if you're not watching via PPV ... go to the mmatko.com website. They'll post the fight videos shortly after each fight - for free!

I'm a little disapoointed in Stann's showing. I thought he had a chance. But then again i am waiting for the Silva/Sonnen rematch. Everyone thinks that Sonnen dominated that fight but I really don't think he did. Silva did so much damage from his back that I think many folks do not realize the power of the offense in the guard. Does that make sense? Anyways...Silva will destroy Sonnen. Great card and I didn't get to see the fights live but I have been catching the replays online...I loved this card. I thought all the fights were very active and entertaining.

I'm a little disapoointed in Stann's showing. I thought he had a chance. But then again i am waiting for the Silva/Sonnen rematch. Everyone thinks that Sonnen dominated that fight but I really don't think he did. Silva did so much damage from his back that I think many folks do not realize the power of the offense in the guard. Does that make sense? Anyways...Silva will destroy Sonnen. Great card and I didn't get to see the fights live but I have been catching the replays online...I loved this card. I thought all the fights were very active and entertaining.

Aloha haolejohn,

I sure thought Stann would hold his own ... but he is still pretty green. Sonnen has years of experience and lots of actual MMA experience. ukestah called that fight right on the money along with a several of the other fights. The fight card was great - that's for sure. A lot of the fights were a tough call. The one thing that makes MMA so exciting is that there's so many different disciplines involved that you have to be a well rounded fighter to do well. Anything can happen at any given time during a fight. Take the Guillard - Lauzon fight, case in point. (ukestah called that fight right on the money as well)

I'm with you on fighters that are very offense on their backs. That is such a rush to see a fighter dishing it out from the bottom with non stop strikes and submission attempts from their backs. The guys on top "should" have the advantage, but these fighters who are very offensive on their backs prove otherwise!

Did you see Edgar do his "Rocky" impersonation??? Damn! 2nd straight fight against Maynard getting clocked in the first round and pretty much was a goner ... but somehow weathered the storm and came back with a vengeance!

mmatko.com is the site to watch the fight videos for free if you don't get PPV. Look for my post for UFC 137 a couple of days before the fights.

Aloha haolejohn,

I sure thought Stann would hold his own ... but he is still pretty green. Sonnen has years of experience and lots of actual MMA experience. ukestah called that fight right on the money along with a several of the other fights. The fight card was great - that's for sure. A lot of the fights were a tough call. The one thing that makes MMA so exciting is that there's so many different disciplines involved that you have to be a well rounded fighter to do well. Anything can happen at any given time during a fight. Take the Guillard - Lauzon fight, case in point. (ukestah called that fight right on the money as well)

I'm with you on fighters that are very offense on their backs. That is such a rush to see a fighter dishing it out from the bottom with non stop strikes and submission attempts from their backs. The guys on top "should" have the advantage, but these fighters who are very offensive on their backs prove otherwise!

Did you see Edgar do his "Rocky" impersonation??? Damn! 2nd straight fight against Maynard getting clocked in the first round and pretty much was a goner ... but somehow weathered the storm and came back with a vengeance!

mmatko.com is the site to watch the fight videos for free if you don't get PPV. Look for my post for UFC 137 a couple of days before the fights.

OK. I normally use realsportz.net but our internet has been too slow for streaming. My brother and I watch together and I mentioned this week that we need to just dish out the money for the PPV. I do have a nice TV:)

Top Bottom