Tall Grass "Scratch & Dent"

PoiDog

Reaction score
Aloha -

I just received the Tall Grass concert bamboo uke from their recent "scratch & dent" blowout. Before I even go into the real part of this review, let me just say that if this was a rejected uke, their approved for sale models must be just incredible, because what I received is almost immaculate. Not only that, but I got one of their TG-CS models, with the personal soundhole, which was an unexpected but very pleasant surprise.

Okay, so let's get into this:

"The Build"
Right out of the box this uke looked really nice. The light, blonde color body with the subtle grain is just breathtaking. In fact, everything about the look is really awesome. The rosewood neck, bridge, and binding really sets off the bamboo, and the white border around the binding is a nice touch. The finish is almost like a matte gloss. It's more than the satin finish on so many koa ukes, but it's not all polished like a mirror either. Plus, it has a very nice texture to go with the pretty look.

TG_top.jpg TG_okole.jpg TG_ soundhole.jpg TG_case.jpg

The ukulele came pre-string with re-entrant Aquilas (seems almost everyone does that now), and the tuners are closed, with a black-matte finish, and just look fantastic.

What surprises me somewhat is the weight of it. Not only did I just assume that bamboo would be light, but I also assumed that a concert would be lighter than a tenor. Yet this seems to be heavier and more dense than aNueNue solid koa tenor. But even the weight is really nice, because the balance is superb.

The old sniff test brought only the scent of wood and a faint whiff of something almost citrusy. If that's the glue, then it's the best smelling glue I've ever had the pleasure of whiffing. I suspect, however, it's more likely something along the lines of the bamboo.

Another nice touch is the fretmarkers along the side of the neck.

Going back to the whole "scratch and dent" thing, I've been looking incredibly closely, and the only things I can see that may even remotely qualify are:

1. A very slight glue error along the base of where the fretboard meets the soundboard
  2. An almost imperceptible discoloration on the board at the G-string edge of the 10th fret
  3. A spot of brassing on the A-string side of the 12th fret
  4. And last, the name on the headstock is a bit crooked and off-center

That's it. Those are the only flaws. There are no scratches, cracks in the finish, mismatches in the seams, or blemishes in the bamboo of the body or the mahogany of the neck. Nothing. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

"The Play"
Here's where the rubber hits the road. You know, small things like sound, volume, sustain, projection, intonation, action, etc.

Well, even here it is very good.

• Volume: Not super loud, but loud enough. I can't check for dB level, but on the whole I'd say this is good enough to be heard, but not so booming as to overpower.
  • Sustain: Surprising, actually. Plucking the strings one by one provides a very sweet and long ring ... with the tailing end fading in a very nice and easy manner, instead of just sort of thudding dead. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but certainly not quite this.
  • Intonation: Impressive. All four strings maintained tune to the 12th fret.
  • Sound: Ahhh, yes. As mentioned above, this came prestrung with Aquilas, and like one expects, these are bright. Blindingly so. And too much for my taste. Compared to the fluouros on my aNueNue, the sound comes off as very tinny and sort of bleatingly flat. There isn't a lot of depth to the notes that come off. I suspect this is more to do with the strings than the uke, but I don't have a different set of strings, so I can't test that. Still, I have to think that perhaps some Alohis may help warm up the sound.

I've got a couple of sound files for illustration, but don't know how to upload them. So I guess you just have to take my word for the sound for now.

Beyond the technical bits, this 'ukulele feels nice to play. Very easy and comfortable. I recall reading another UUer who got one stating that he found the action a little high. I can't say the same thing. For me, the action is in that nice comfy zone, with just enough resistance.

All in all, the Tall Grass is just a really nice, happy, and pretty little thing. I doubt very much it will replace my tenor, so I think that this little guy may be headed off to a nephew as an xmas gift in a couple of months. But, in the mean time, I'll enjoy it's company.

Lastly, I feel almost like a thief for getting this for only $50, and even more so knowing that Josh & Kim from Tall Grass are closing shop. It's really a shame they weren't able to make a go of it, because they offered a really lovely, well-built, and delightful instrument for the price of a laminate.

Last edited:
Lucky you to get such a deal on a nice uke. Thanks for the good thorough review.

Lastly, I feel almost like a thief for getting this for only $50, and even more so knowing that Josh & Kim from Tall Grass are closing shop. It's really a shame they weren't able to make a go of it, because they offered a really lovely, well-built, and delightful instrument for the price of a laminate.

I received my uke today (yesterday now) as well, and I totally agree with everything you said about the instrument. It's beautiful!!! And like you, I feel badly about getting this for such a great price and I'm going to gift this forward also. I'm going to do a little work on it (the action is a little high on mine) and experiment with strings to get a little warmer sound, and then its off to my nephew as well. I know he's going to love the "cool" factor of the sound port and just the overall beauty of the instrument.

To Josh and Kim, thank you, thank you, thank you. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Tall Grass

I agree 100% with respect to the one I got yesterday. I was surprised at the weight and suspect that some of the volume you are missing is because of the thick soundboard. Feels VERY sturdy like it couldn't be broken honestly and it looks absolutely gorgeous!

The tuners are very nice and the use of colors on the binding, headstock logo and black tuners all work really well together. I can't help but feel I ripped off TallGrassUkes honestly. Very nice uke.

The sound is very unique. Some will like it some will not. It needs more volume for me personally and the tone sounds more like a soprano in that it is plinky to me. My suspicion is that this will make a great travel uke because it feels super durable and was a great deal. Super nice case included!!!

I received my uke today (yesterday now) as well, and I totally agree with everything you said about the instrument. It's beautiful!!! And like you, I feel badly about getting this for such a great price and I'm going to gift this forward also. I'm going to do a little work on it (the action is a little high on mine) and experiment with strings to get a little warmer sound, and then its off to my nephew as well. I know he's going to love the "cool" factor of the sound port and just the overall beauty of the instrument.

To Josh and Kim, thank you, thank you, thank you. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Gifting this is the way to go for me. I really do like this uke, and think with a string change it may sound really nice, but even though I may like it I think my nephew will like it even more.

I agree 100% with respect to the one I got yesterday. I was surprised at the weight and suspect that some of the volume you are missing is because of the thick soundboard. Feels VERY sturdy like it couldn't be broken honestly and it looks absolutely gorgeous!

The tuners are very nice and the use of colors on the binding, headstock logo and black tuners all work really well together. I can't help but feel I ripped off TallGrassUkes honestly. Very nice uke.

The sound is very unique. Some will like it some will not. It needs more volume for me personally and the tone sounds more like a soprano in that it is plinky to me. My suspicion is that this will make a great travel uke because it feels super durable and was a great deal. Super nice case included!!!

Double-plus right about the soundboard thickness. I noticed that yesterday evening. I don't have any calipers so I can't be sure, but it feels almost twice as thick as the soundboard of my koa. I wonder if that's a choice, or out of necessity to ensure the uke can handle the string tension? In either case, I'm less concerned about the volume than I am about the sound. Your description of it being more soprano-like seems accurate.

It really is hard not to feel like we kind of thieved these, isn't it? It's a shame because these seem like a better choice compared to others in this same price range.

UPDATE

Just a brief update about the sound of this uke. I have to admit, the more I played it, the less I liked it. It sounded so thin and metallic, it was almost painful at times. That, and the extra-thick upper bout made it seem too dull and lifeless.

So, I swapped out the Aquilas for some Martin clears, and wow - what a difference. The fluoros may have subtracted volume a skosh, but more importantly, they brought some breadth to the sound. The Aquilas were just overwhelmingly bright, and by getting on a set that were a bit more subdued, it brought out much more personality.

If any other folks who picked one of these up has a similar experience, I'd say give some fluoros a try.

This uke is now ready to be given as an xmas gift.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot as soon as I get the saddle sanded down a little.

Top Bottom