PDA

View Full Version : Super Soprano Cigar Box Ukulele

Coleton33Music
10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
So,

It's been a while since I've posted here. Glad to be back.

So, I'm designing a super soprano cigar box ukulele.
*Specs*
Double Sound Hole
Spruce Body
Red Oak Neck
18 Frets
NO HEADSTOCK
Tuners at the bottom of the ukulele
Geared Tuners with Black Plastic Nobs

Pre Build Concept Pictures:

So any tips/ suggestions?

BlackBearUkes
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Why do you call it a cigar box uke when you are not using a cigar box? Curious.

Markr1
10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Looks like a cigarbox to me.

southcoastukes
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM
How will you get your break angle?

BlackBearUkes
10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
To my knowledge, cigar boxes were not made of spruce but redwood or cedar. Because a rectangular box is made to the same dimensions as a cigar box, doesn't make it so in my opinion. Why not just call it what it is, a box uke.

Putting the pegs at the bottom will make it uncomfortable to hold and like Dirk says, there won't be much of a break angle at the bridge to drive the top.

Liam Ryan
10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
It'll sound better if you make your own box anyway.

It won't be the first instrument with a floating bridge and strings anchored at the tail

I've got no beef with you calling it a cigar box uke. Stylistically it's a cigar box uke.

I can see how those tuners would be annoying when holding the uke

Coleton33Music
10-07-2011, 08:57 AM
How will you get your break angle?

Well there are holes at the end of the neck that will go strait down, and there are two sets of holes on the tuning pegs I'm using so I'll use the lower one. if not I'll alter the design a bit.

Coleton33Music
10-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Why do you call it a cigar box uke when you are not using a cigar box? Curious.Well even though it's not a cigar box, it just seems akword to call it a box uke.

Coleton33Music
10-07-2011, 09:03 AM
It'll sound better if you make your own box anyway.

It won't be the first instrument with a floating bridge and strings anchored at the tail

I've got no beef with you calling it a cigar box uke. Stylistically it's a cigar box uke.

I can see how those tuners would be annoying when holding the uke

Well the tuners will be lower on the ukulele than what the photo shows. Plus the way you play changes when you have a strap attached.

Tudorp
10-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Is it going to be hinged so you can open it like many cigar box ukes? I have no problem calling one a cigar box uke if it at least looks like a cigar box. I mean, I have seen them made from scratch, but the box looks like it had cigars in it with labeling, seal, etc. Just a plain box might be weird to me, but then again, it's not my uke. As far as the break angle, yeah I can see that as a problem. If ya don't want to break back a headstock angle, take a look at how Fender does it on their electrics, that might be an option. Or are the tuners going to be on the tailpiece end?