First Uku Upgrade: Possibly looking for low G string uku

iamfroogle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking into purchasing a second uku, possibly one that is compatible with the low g setup. I have a Fluke now and have enjoyed it thoroughly and still do but I can't help but feel that something is lacking in the sound due to the plastic build. I played a Martin S1 mahogany soprano at a music store the other weekend and the sound, even to my amateur ear had a nice ring to it that my Fluke didn't. Only problem is that it was around the $350 price range.
I've done some (not a lot) research and the Mainland Mahogany Soprano seems like a nice alternative but is pricey at $190...

So UU - some questions:

1- Can anyone recommend me a soprano or concert ukulele around or under the $150 range... All wood & is compatible with a low g setup

2- What is the difference between a Cedar and Mahogany ukulele?

Help would be much appreciated, thank you

If you want an all solid uke in your price range, it will probably have to be used. You may want to consider a solid topped uke. You still may have a limited selection, but some of them sound and look awfully good for the money. As for low g, this tuning works best with a baritone and becomes less ideal as you decrease the instrument size. Lots of folks do it, but tone/resonance is not optimal. Is a tenor too big for you?

Last edited:
If your idea of pricey is $190 but your idea of affordable is $150, then I'd suggest looking at used for a better deal. :)

Cedar vs. mahogany? IMO cedar is usually louder, mahogany is mellower. YMMV.

I have no problem with used ukulele. As for mellower that sounds good but I have no idea what that means...I wwant to test some uku out but the guitar center/ sam ash in my area have a very limited selection.

If you want an all solid uke in your price range, it will probably have to be used. You may want to consider a solid topped uke. You still may have a limited selection, but some of them sound and look awfully good for the money. As for low g, this tuning works best with a baritone and becomes less ideal as you decrease the instrument size. Lots of folks do it, but tone/resonance is not optimal. Is a tenor too big for you?

I have no problem with getting a used uku. What is a solid topped?
And as for the low g being best on a baritone, that is new info to me. Concert is as big as I would probably want to go...would a low g sound terrible on a concert? Too much of a stretch on a soprano?:eek:

As I said, I would like to try out some ukulele but can't really at the moment. What I'm basing off of is probably the Martin S1 Mahogany Soprano as I mentioned in the first post...I really like the sound of that...but perhaps with a low g...Any suggestion are welcomed.

Thanks!

A low G on a soprano is almost un-doable. I know others will tell you it can be done but in almost all cases it is a complete waste time. The scale length is too short to get any kind of solid sound, mostly what you get is flubber. A concert scale is only slightly better but if you have to have it, go with a concert. The ukulele is the only instrument I know that everyone wants every size of string on every size and shape of uke.

I personnally wouldnt do low G on anything smaller than a tenor. Solid wood means just that, made of solid wood. If it doesnt say solid wood, it means it is laminated meaning pieces of wood glued together in thin layers, just like plywood. Guitar center is not a good place to try ukuleles. They are badly setup.

Top Bottom