Eddy Finn concert ukulele ef-50 swamp ash review

BoneNut

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first "real" ukulele so take the review with a grain of salt, but I have been playing the guitar and bass for about 13 years and know a little bit about what an acoustic instrument should sound like. consider this an instrument review more than a uke review.
ee7e41db.jpg

Materials 7/10
Craftsmanship 9/10
Design 8/10
Sound 7/10
Overall 8.5/10

Materials
I am a big fan of ash. I like guitars made of it as it has a nice mellow sound like spruce but usually costs less. the uke is laminated but the lams that they used are beautiful and clean and well chosen for both quality graining and are well matched ( or all cut from the same piece)
If the top were solid this would be an 8.5 and if the whole uke was solid it would be a ten. for the choice of lam, it is amazing. my next Uke will have at least a solid top
083f86bf.jpg

a53f0cf0.jpg

95eacad3.jpg

Last edited:
Craftsmanship

this is a well made instrument, all the fittings are tight, the bridge and saddle are square, the action true across all strings, the frets in scale, intonation stays good as far as I can play, the neck was nicely shaped, the fishbone trim is all extremely well done. the only slight flaw is a little bit of glue where the neck and fingerboard fit the body, hardly an issue. This uke does not feel at all like an assembly line item, it feels like a hand crafted instrument.

glue
9f4a476e.jpg

e6fc5c79.jpg

c51fa82d.jpg

d28be584.jpg

Last edited:
13c04539.jpg

a3e12b55.jpg

Design

a well designed instrument, I dont love the fin shaped sound hole but it doesnt offend and it gives it a unique look so....
I dont know enough about uke design to really speak on specifics, but the body has a nice taper to allow for more volume which is nice and makes for a comfortable fit against my body. I find the edges of the body to be a little sharper than I'd like but hardly a problem
083f86bf.jpg

Last edited:
Sound

this is a nice bright uke with a good mellow bottom that sounds great. Strummed or picked, pick or fingers it has good annunciation and doesnt get muddled or buzz

Overall
I recommend this Uke to any beginners out there of anyone looking to add a new size to their quiver on a budget.

650eee18.jpg

111b251e.jpg

6fcd8c5a.jpg

happy strumming guys

Last edited:
I have seen this model in a Concert size, but anxious to see it as a Tenor. I've located one semi-locally so will be checking it out soon !

Top Bottom