Woods and humidity

coriandre

Reaction score
I have many solid wood instruments but, never used a humidifier. I do keep my instruments in a room that contains over 200 gallons of aquarium water though. Of course, these aquarium produce humidity. Are there woods that are more prone to cracking then others ? Does anyone have an experience with a solid wood cracking due to humidity ?

I don't have experience with wood cracking but I did buy a .... I don't know what it is called but a little device that measures the humidity levels in my house. I keep one in the closet where I store my ukes and I have one by my computer where I always have a uke left out to grab whenever I want to play. I wanted to make sure the humidity was right for my ukes. I now feel comfortable keeping my ukes out and stored without using a humidifier. The humidity in my house is between 50 and 60%. I hope that helps.

Humidity is probably never a problem in Eureka is it Rox?
I have a Martin 3M that has been stored on the top of a book shelf in a house that is wood fire heated all winter, air conditioned all summer (my dads place) for 20 years. I brought it to my house where me and my environmentally sensitive bride FREEZE in the winter (40') and roast in the summer (90' in the house) and it did not crack...
So in answer to your question- nope, no experience with cracking. I do throw them into a case if I can feel fret ends with an altoids can that has a bit of sponge in it. Seems to go away pretty quickly.

I live up in Alaska, where the humidity can drop down to about 10% in the winters. I have a number of ukes that are all Koa, or Koa with some mahogany. I've had an issue with two of my koa wood ukes in the winter with splitting and shrinking. I also own a music store up this way and during the winters I run three humidifiers that keeps the humidity at about 45% in my store. I don't think you are going to have any problems unless the humidity gets below 45% for extended periods of time. The biggest problems I have seen are guitar necks getting tweaked and strings starting to buzz during times of low humidity.

Humidity is probably never a problem in Eureka is it Rox?

Ha ha. I actually have been curious about the winter humidity levels. I wonder if it is possible that I well end up with too much humidity. No worries, I will just get off my lazy butt and light a fire in the wood burning stove to keep the mold from growing on the walls and ukuleles.

Ha ha. I actually have been curious about the winter humidity levels. I wonder if it is possible that I well end up with too much humidity. No worries, I will just get off my lazy butt and light a fire in the wood burning stove to keep the mold from growing on the walls and ukuleles.

Sounds like a good plan.

Mahogany is widely regarded as a stable wood, in my experience mango seems pretty stable as well. Cedar and spruce are softer woods, so may be more sensitive to cracking.
Cold dry air in winter is the worst for damaging ukes. I like to keep the humidity around 60%.

High humidity is rarely a problem for an instrument unless it's extreme and continuous. Low humidity is the problem for some and it has more to do with what the conditions were when the instrument was built. Most luthiers will try to build in a range of 40 to 50% RH as this allows them to send an instrument that will live happily in areas that most people tend to appreciate as well.

All woods can shrink and crack from low humidity. Quarter sawn wood is the most stable and is why it's favoured by luthiers for building. Another consideration is the sizing of the components and design of the bracing pattern when it comes to cracking due to low humidity. This is a area that differentiates many factory and custom builds. Easy to build so the instrument is virtually indestructible, but they will sound like crap. Building light and responsive opens up the possibility of damage from mistreatment and environment.

Try and keep a quality built instrument in an environment that doesn't go below 30% RH and you should be good.

I have had cracking problems in Chicago due to lack of humidity. In case humidifiers are cheap compared to the price of the instruments. PITA to keep them all topped off.

Planet Wave no longer sells my favorite (Small instrument humidifier) Bastids!!!! :)

Mahogany is widely regarded as a stable wood, in my experience mango seems pretty stable as well. Cedar and spruce are softer woods, so may be more sensitive to cracking.
Cold dry air in winter is the worst for damaging ukes. I like to keep the humidity around 60%.

The last uke I bought was primarily in mahogany with a koa top. Doesn't quite have the sound I'd like, but I agree, it is a much stabler wood for drier climates.

Top Bottom