PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

boodrow
10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Im a newbie here and found a old Harmony brand uke on craigslist for 60 dollars , looks to be in good shape , would I be better off buyin a new one instead?
Thanks for any feedback
Boodrow

Markr1
10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm kind of new to this myself but what I've seen in the last several months that I've been into it that some of those old ones are probably better then some of these new ones that they just seem to throw together. Odds are if these old ones have been around as long as they have and still look and sound good then I don't think their going to fall apart or start sounding bad anytime soon. If I didn't have a uke I would be happy with a Harmony for 60 bucks.

hoosierhiver
10-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Harmony made alot of different ukes over a period of years, some were solid wood others are cheaper laminates, depends upon what year/model it is. Ask him what size(how long it is)? and if the fertboard is plastic or wood? I've seen some great solid wood Harmony baritones.
If you get a good solid one, $60 is a decent price, if it's a cheaper one it's probably worth more like $30.
Alot of Harmony's are OK, but some sound pretty dead.

bornagainjeeper
10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
i'm with hoosier... personally i'd avoid it.... buying a brand new uke sight unseen can be a risk....let alone a vintage one. If i were you i'd spend a just a tad more and get something from lanikai or kala in the 100 dollar range and buy it from a store which does their own set ups...this makes sure everything is in working order and not buzzy or wonky first.... If i were buying a vintage uke on ebay or something, i'd expect it to be about 50/50 messed up and just become a collectors peice for myself (which is fine, unless you want to play it)

olgoat52
10-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I you were not a newbie, it might be worth taking a flyer but that not being the case, I with Alex and Mike. You want something to get you going right here right now, you don't need to be fighting a uke that needs work when you might not even know better. Might just spoil the fun.

boodrow
10-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info fellers , Im goin to re think the 60's harmony uke vs a new one.
Boodrow