Replacing a Soprano Bridge

Timbuck

Reaction score
I wasnt happy with a bridge I recently fitted..it was 1mm off the centre line of the fretboard.. not a lot! but the more I looked at it the worse it seemed to be..so in the end I decided to replace it.
And while I was at it I decided to take a few pictures of the method i used. just in case some new starters need to do the same one day.
First I masked off the area with some card material (cornflake box will do quite well) and then I sliced off the old bridge with a Stanley Fatmax Dowell saw.
removing bridge.jpg

Bridge sawn off leaving about 1mm of material still to remove
bridge off.jpg
Then with the aid of a biggish soldering iron I found at a "Car Boot sale" a few years ago I heated up one end of the remainder of the bridge material.
Now i'm carefully lifting up the heated end of the sliver with a 1/2"chisel I then proceed like this till it's all come away from the body.
lifting bridge.jpg
Ready for new Bridge.
ready for new saddle.jpg

Last edited:
Ken, did you use HHG on that bridge?

Part 2

Now i've removed all the old bridge..removed the card masking and cleaned off all the old glue.
PICT0044-1.jpg

Now i masked up the position of the new bridge making sure it's in the right place (this time)
(I made the new bridge slightly longer to cover up the footprint of the old position)
PICT0050-1.jpg

Now the New bridge is glued in place and clamped with my Acme special bridge clamp.
PICT0052-1.jpg

And here we are job done all back in line.. No damage to the French Polish ...and I'll be able to sleep tonight.
PICT0065.jpg

Last edited:
New one looks a little crooked to me. Just kidding. Beautiful Ukulele.

Great info Ken.

BTW, I wanted to send you a Private Message but your box is full. Can you clear some room or is there an email I can use to contact you off-board?

Ken
If you are not going to use locating pins Frank Ford's suggestion of creating a 'field' with several pieces of tape is another good idea. BTW I've seen one of your ukes recently going the same way as one of mine - being played so much they are now down to bare wood! Mine had the entire finish played off it and what was once a blonde koa uke was almost black with sweat and grime - I didn't want to touch it - yuk!!!

Relocating a bridge because it's 1 mm off center? Really! I'm hoping there's more to the story you aren't telling.
If you look closely at the the sawn off bridge piece..you can see that the string slots are off centre..that was the problem.. it only needed to be moved across a bit and all would be well..I had to do :( it co's I was so annoyed with myself for not spotting it before i glued it..and I know that some nit picker would have spotted it also (at a later date) and started a UU thread about it.:D

Last edited:
Thats it!!..I'm taking a few days off..I'm getting paranoid or something :eek:ld:...I just fitted a neck to my next Uke..and looking at the joint I noticed a 10 thou gap :eek: in the dovetail..I know its in a place that wont effect the strength of the joint and nobody will ever see it...but it's upsetting me :(
PICT0070-1.jpg

Or better yet, send it to me...I will burn it for you:D...It looks great my friend!...BTW, what finish does your wife apply to your ukuleles? I assume some oil/varnish mix? Your own formula or store bought? Any chance she could post the procedure or technique she follows.

Thanks in advance!

Ken, if I could afford it, I would absolutely buy one of your ukes. You are such a perfectionist that your builds seem worth way more than every penny these ukes cost. I've always wanted a Martin soprano, but now I think my goal is to save up and purchase one of yours instead.

Dan

Or better yet, send it to me...I will burn it for you:D...It looks great my friend!...BTW, what finish does your wife apply to your ukuleles? I assume some oil/varnish mix? Your own formula or store bought? Any chance she could post the procedure or technique she follows.

Thanks in advance!
It's store bought Colron Peruvian mahogany wood dye...with loads of repetative coats of Button shellac applied..and a lot of fine sanding and polishing Etc: no Secrets.

Top Bottom