PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

ghardy
10-09-2011, 07:10 AM
I live in Ottawa, where the winters get really cold. I know I should get a humidifier for my new Kala Acacia Tenor, but there are a few things I'm in the dark about:

1) Should I keep the uke in its case or on a stand? I'm afraid that if I keep it in its case, the humidity change will cause harm when I take it out

2) Should I always keep the humidifier in the uke? Obviously not while I'm playing, but when summer comes around, should I still keep it humidified?

3) Will I ever have to replace my humidifier?

Thanks

JamieFromOntario
10-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey ghardy,

Two things you can do:

Get a room hygrometer and a humidifier. If you can keep the humidity more than 30%, you should be good to leave your acacia out on a stand. I owned a Kala Acacia and was able to do this with it when I lived in Toronto.

and/or

Get a case humidifier (people seem to quite like the Oasis brand - they're available from many online stores, or places like Long and McQuade) and leave your uke in its case when you're not playing it. You're fine bringing it out into a dry room to play - the problem comes when it can stay in a really dry area for a longer period of time...or, at least, that's my understanding.

Personally, I don't have humidifiers in the cases of my ukes. I just watch the humidity of the room they stay in and make sure to turn on the humidifier if it drops too low - I haven't had to turn on the humidifier since sometime last spring and I only live 2 hours from you. Likely, I'll start having to turn it on sometime in November, particularly if this weather continues!

cantsing
10-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi ghardy,

Congratulations on your new Kala Acacia tenor!

Here's a recent thread that you might find helpful if you haven't seen it: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?53195-Humidifier-for-a-wall-hung-ukulele

As to when you will have to replace your humidifier, the answer probably depends on the type of humidifier and whether you use distilled water in it. (There are lots of threads about humidifiers here on the forum, including discussions of different brands and even instructions for making your own using a sponge or water absorbing crystals.)