PDA

View Full Version : my newbi question

NoahOathKeeper
10-09-2011, 01:02 PM
i have a what im told is a VERY beginner Ukulele imm attacks a pic
my question is about care of the instrument its self, mainly care of the wood and if i need to be putting anything on it ?

roxhum
10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Is that a laminate? If it is a laminate you don't have to do much of anything. Wipe in clean occasionally with a soft cloth and don't drop it, sit on it, step on it or bang it against a wall or use it as a weapon. If it is solid wood make sure it is getting enough humidity, 45% to 60%. If you live in a dry climate or a heated home during a cold winter keep it in a ukulele case when you are not playing it with a humidifier. Play it often and have fun.

cantsing
10-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd add one thing to the above good advice--consider wiping down the strings with a soft cloth after you finish playing every day.

olgoat52
10-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I suspect it is laminate so it is pretty bullet proof. Wipe it down as suggested. That's about it. Always better to store it in a case or gig bag when not playing it. The cardboard box it came in will suffice for a while too.

Not sitting on it as mentioned above is always a good idea. Using it as a weapon.. It wasn't clear whether the poster was referring to swinging it wildly about or playing it badly.. :)

NoahOathKeeper
10-09-2011, 03:23 PM
i dont think its laminate , its mahogany ,a oscarsmit

dhoenisch
10-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I have that same uke, and it's definitely a laminate. It's not a bad thing though. It's a really good sounding uke and nice to play. In fact, I tend to play that uke more than my tenor mainly because it is a laminate uke and more easily maintainable, so it sits outside of the case more than anything, so I always grab it and play it.

One suggestion though... The strings it comes with aren't bad, but aren't great. Purchase yourself a set of Aquilas, and it will really open up the sound of your uke. I'll admit it, when I first got the uke, I liked the sound, but now that I strung it up with Aquilas, I love the sound. Plenty of volume too. It's like a totally different uke. My sister wants it, but it's one uke I don't think I would ever want to give up.

Enjoy your uke,
Dan

NoahOathKeeper
10-09-2011, 04:40 PM
I have that same uke, and it's definitely a laminate. It's not a bad thing though. It's a really good sounding uke and nice to play. In fact, I tend to play that uke more than my tenor mainly because it is a laminate uke and more easily maintainable, so it sits outside of the case more than anything, so I always grab it and play it.

One suggestion though... The strings it comes with aren't bad, but aren't great. Purchase yourself a set of Aquilas, and it will really open up the sound of your uke. I'll admit it, when I first got the uke, I liked the sound, but now that I strung it up with Aquilas, I love the sound. Plenty of volume too. It's like a totally different uke. My sister wants it, but it's one uke I don't think I would ever want to give up.

Enjoy your uke,
Dan

yes it come with GHS strings, i know there the cheapest strings made , well there the worst for banjo, im guessing there the worst for everything else too :D , here is a question,, what types of Aquilas strings do you mean nylon, nylagut, or what ?

NoahOathKeeper
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
yes it come with GHS strings, i know there the cheapest strings made , well there the worst for banjo, im guessing there the worst for everything else too :D , here is a question,, what types of Aquilas strings do you mean nylon, nylagut, or what ?

i ask because from what ive read some of these strings dont last but 1 or 2 weeks , with having to order these online replacing them biweekly just is not a option for me

olgoat52
10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
i ask because from what ive read some of these strings dont last but 1 or 2 weeks , with having to order these online replacing them biweekly just is not a option for me
Nylguts last a long time. Not sure where you got the 1 or 2 weeks. Never heard that one. Sounds like some bad info. Try a set an see what you think.

NoahOathKeeper
10-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Nylguts last a long time. Not sure where you got the 1 or 2 weeks. Never heard that one. Sounds like some bad info. Try a set an see what you think.

i got the info from http://www.aquilausa.com/uke_strings.html the Aquila site
" We advise that players purchase 3 or 4 extra single wound strings with every set. When played often a wound string may last only about 1-2 weeks, "

Nickie
10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
"Not sitting on it as mentioned above is always a good idea. Using it as a weapon.. It wasn't clear whether the poster was referring to swinging it wildly about or playing it badly.."

LOL!

Manalishi
10-09-2011, 11:03 PM
I find that wound strings only last me about two weeks.
Simple solution,I buy plain nylgut sets,with no wound
string to consider! They last ages,depending how often
and how long you play (and how Hard,sometimes!)

NoahOathKeeper
10-10-2011, 06:36 AM
placed a order today , hope there worth it D

dhoenisch
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
They will be. Seriously, when I first purchased my Oscar Schmidt, I rarely played it. It sounded like a cheap laminate uke. It pretty much sat most of the time for two years. Then, I went to a music store for strings for a totally unrelated instrument, and I picked up a uke with the Aquila Nylgut strings, and I immediately fell in love with them. I immediately purchased a set for my uke, and the difference is night and day. I play the Oscar Schmidt all the time, and wouldn't even think of getting rid of it. Stringing that uke with tha Aquila Nylgut strings turned this uke from a dust collector to a daily player. After my mom played my newly strung uke, she immediately demanded that I get a set for her uke, then for another, then, well, you get the rest.

I think you will be more than happy with how much better your uke will sound once those Aquilas are on it. Please post back once you have done so. I would love to see your reaction to those strings.

Dan

Ukulele JJ
10-11-2011, 02:01 AM
i got the info from http://www.aquilausa.com/uke_strings.html the Aquila site
" We advise that players purchase 3 or 4 extra single wound strings with every set. When played often a wound string may last only about 1-2 weeks, "

Your strings aren't wound, so you should be fine.

JJ

Big_e
10-11-2011, 01:46 PM
When replacing new strings on your ukulele, always stretch them with your hands first before putting them on the instrument. This helps them to settle faster and shortens the time of adjustment significantly.

As you remove each string out of it's packet, wind the ends around your fingers and give a gentle tug, then release. Do this about 3 times for each string. If the strings feel like they cut into your hands then you are pulling too hard!

This is better than putting the strings on your uke' and pulling on them then. Also don't tune your strings tighter in the hopes of making them settle faster! All this places unnecessary stress on the bridge of the instrument. Remember, the bridges on finer instruments are just glued on!
Ernest