my uke sounds..crappy

hubbleknight

Reaction score
My ukulele is a cheap 30 dollar kohala, when i first got it, it sounded terrible, i could never get it in tune, and if i did after a few strums, or if i am lucky a song later it would be out of tune and horrible sounding again, i got new strings there better, but since the C string is missing the screw for the tuning key it still un-tunes alot, i dont have the money for a new ukulele right now, is there a way to improve its sound without spending alot of money? help please

My ukulele is a cheap 30 dollar kohala, when i first got it, it sounded terrible, i could never get it in tune, and if i did after a few strums, or if i am lucky a song later it would be out of tune and horrible sounding again, i got new strings there better, but since the C string is missing the screw for the tuning key it still un-tunes alot, i dont have the money for a new ukulele right now, is there a way to improve its sound without spending alot of money? help please

Good Luck...My recommendation is the strings but since you have already changed them...I think there isn't a lot to do but save your money.

Most folks have good luck with Aquila Nylgut strings to get better sound, especially from lower priced instruments.
What strings did you put on it?

You might have what is called "Friction tuners" on your uke in which case the little screw in the tuner knob is very important. If the screws are loose ( or missing) then the tuner will rotate and put the string out of tune. You should snug the screw up a bit and play and it is continues to go flat, snug it a bit more. If they are really tight and it is still happening then you may just have some garbage tuners. A good set of tuners installed will be about the price of your uke.

Try getting a replacement screw and snugging them up.

I have six of those Kohala ukes (in my classroom for students to use) and out of the box they sound pretty bad. They all needed work on the nut and bridge and with a couple of them I even experimented with making a compensated bridge. Switched out the stock strings for Aquila's, tightened and adjusted all the tuners and now they sound pretty good. Especially when you consider the ukes plus strings only cost about $35.00 each. They play much louder than my Dolphin and to my ear, they sound better too.

Top Bottom