PDA

View Full Version : Custom Regal vintage uke w/ curly mahogany, abalone Regal inlay

Doc_J
10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Saw this really unusual custom vintage Regal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250906412954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Very cool. Never saw a Regal like this before. Curly mahogany with a Regal inlay of abalone.

Not my uke, and I'm not in the market for a new uke at the moment. But figured some on UU might be interested in such a unique uke.

RyanMFT
10-09-2011, 06:11 PM
That is a VERY cool Regal, I've been watching it and what really makes me sad is it is located in my home town......

That is the finest Regal I have ever seen. I wish it were mine!

hmgberg
10-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I've been watching it, too. It's been refinished I believe. But it looks great. Probably going higher than I want to spend.

Hippie Dribble
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
WOW!!!!...that's it, I'm going for it... :drool:

Hippie Dribble
10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
it just sold for $356.

coriandre
10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
To yourself ?

Hippie Dribble
10-13-2011, 01:56 PM
To yourself ?

um...yep, coriandre I couldn't resist it...don't have any mahogany ukes and hoping it sounds and plays ok.

he he..didn't want to say that I'd bought it. I was hoping for someone to chime in and say...that was either good value or a rip off...ha ha. Have no idea if I've blown my dough or not...we'll see I guess :o

strumsilly
10-13-2011, 02:04 PM
are you kidding , that is a top of the line vintage stunner. look at the grain in that mahogany. if it plays half as good as it looks you got a great deal

mm stan
10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
What a score...never saw a flame mahogany before like that...wonder if it is??? hmm anyways it looks absouletly awesome vintage high end of their line...congrats Bruddah Eugene

808boy
10-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Aloha Bruddah Jon,
Was pulling for you. Congrats on your new member to your ukulele ohana, absolutely stunning. Strum with pride........................BO................... ....

Doc_J
10-13-2011, 05:09 PM
um...yep, coriandre I couldn't resist it...don't have any mahogany ukes and hoping it sounds and plays ok.

he he..didn't want to say that I'd bought it. I was hoping for someone to chime in and say...that was either good value or a rip off...ha ha. Have no idea if I've blown my dough or not...we'll see I guess :o

Congrats. That uke is so cool and unique. Glad to see you get it.

I think it was a great price. More importantly, Stan thinks it was a score.

Now... I would love to see a video of it being played, please.

southcoastukes
10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you've got a real player. While Regals only have a so-so reputation, it's because they made sooooooo many back in the day - most of them serviceable, but nothing special.

However - they did some "limited editions", so to speak, that were exceptional. I have never seen that type of ukulele, but I once restored what looks to be the same type of build in a Regal Parlour Tenor Guitar. Here's some pics:

Not as much of the curly figure as your little gem, but it's pretty similar in it's materials, and same headtock logo. Having owned several of these Regal Tenors, I can tell you this particular edition was waaaaaaaaay above the others as far as sound. If that's any indication, you will love, love, love this uke!

Congratualtions!