Does Anybody Share The Feeling?

rook

Reaction score
I am obsessed with the Uke.

And probably like everyone here I like to park on You Tube for a bit and watch Uke vids.

I enjoy this like the S.O.B.

I've seen the amazing from Jake to others, who not only amazed me with their Uke skills but also moved me (and weighing in at 300 lbs, I'm not easily moved...See what I did there?....neither did I)

However, I hate like hell when I watch a Uke vid and the performer seems to have the urge to 'drown' out the Uke by multi-tracking the s** out of it and feeling the need also to throw 20-25 seconds of video edits of them playing various instruments over top of whatever tune their claiming to be featuring the OOKALAYLAY.

I don't know it seems a little overkill to me and a tad on the "look at me, look what I can do!" side rather than showcasing the instrument that should take center Mu'fn' stage!

Am I right?

Give me raw f'n Uke any day!

Cheers!

And another thing, this is what bothers me about these contests...if I was King I would say no damn multi-track. Just a man or a woman or a bunch of people playing straight up Uke, that's it.

I think there's a wide spectrum of likes and dislikes among people who like to play ukuleles and people who like to listen to ukulele music. So, are you right? You're right about what YOU like. It's hard to be wrong about your own preferences (although that bridgekeeper in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" somehow got his own favorite color wrong). The thing is, there's so much on YouTube that you're likely to find enough content of just people and their ukuleles, with no special sound effects or overdubbing, to keep you busy for a long time. So watch those and avoid the types of videos you don't like as much. Happy viewing!

every one of my youtube vids are one takers with no overdubs. Shucks...I'd give my right arm to be able to do one with some layered tracks!!! Such is the plight of the technologically backward... :eek: But I sure get what you say about appreciating the rawness and honesty of a person just putting their guts into something, naked and exposed. Here's something you might like - drbekken with a $25 uke...

ENJOY! :)

every one of my youtube vids are one takers with no overdubs. Shucks...I'd give my right arm to be able to do one with some layered tracks!!! Such is the plight of the technologically backward... :eek: But I sure get what you say about appreciating the rawness and honesty of a person just putting their guts into something, naked and exposed. Here's something you might like - drbekken with a $25 uke...

ENJOY! :)

Fantastic video Jon. And as for multiple tracking - you really don't need it from what I've seen. Us mere mortals though ;)

However, I hate like hell when I watch a Uke vid and the performer seems to have the urge to 'drown' out the Uke by multi-tracking the s** out of it and feeling the need also to throw 20-25 seconds of video edits of them playing various instruments over top of whatever tune their claiming to be featuring the OOKALAYLAY.

I don't know it seems a little overkill to me and a tad on the "look at me, look what I can do!" side rather than showcasing the instrument that should take center Mu'fn' stage!

Am I right?

Cheers!

Well, if multitracks aren't allowed ever, then I guess every musical group in the history of everything should shove it, since playing multiple instruments is OVERKILL, HOW DARE YOU MULTI-INSTRUMENT PLAYING PEOPLE HAVE MORE MUSICAL TALENT THAN I, TAKE YOUR GEETAIRS, YOUR PEYAHNOS AND YOUR VIEOLYHNS AND JUMP OFF A BRIDGE, PREFERABLY A REALLY REALLY HIGH ONE.

Do you see what I did there? Because it sounds straight-up silly! :D

I can't believe you would turn your nose up at some of the brilliant ukulele multi-tracks out there just because they feature multiple instruments. Tons of amazing UU members have put out multi-track videos, such as Sebi, Bornagainjeeper, Seeso, and even the man Aldrine himself. Are you going to turn around and tell those of us who multi-track that we love the uke less than you? Are you really going to condemn people for being musically skilled enough to play more than one instrument? I get uke snobbery, I do, I'm a card-carrying member of that club as well, but the whole "multi-tracking=impure ukulele" argument goes above snobbery and into the Land of Jealousy, to my ears.

I've made videos where it's just me and my uke.
I've made videos where I play several instruments multi tracked.
They're all equally lame but what the heck we're all just having fun here right?

Also about the contests. I tied for 2nd place in Eugene's contest with a multi track video. I've also not won anything in other contests with multi track as well as just one track uke. IMO the person putting on the contest makes the rules and the rest of us go by those rules.
I'm not planning on entering any contests for awhile because I won some DVDs and Cds and don't want to be a prize hog. I know that if I ever took 1st place in a contest and won a Uke, I would not enter any more contests at all. If I liked the theme I might make a video and enter it as non competitive.

We're supposed to be having fun. IMO too much sour grapes might cause people who were going to host a contest to reconsider. Just sayin".

Last edited:
To illustrate my point, here are some of my personal favorite ukulele multi-tracks on the internet:

If you want to play by yourself in your clubhouse with a giant "NO OTHER INSTRUMENTS ALLOWED" sign, that's fine, preference are preferences. But music is meant to be shared, and anything that makes music more awesome is never a bad thing, in my mind. That includes videos with trombones in them!

Last edited:
I agree with austin1.
Plus its their videos so they can do whatever the heck they want. You may prefer 'purer' videos and thats fine but you have to admire the talent and work put into some of these multi-track videos.

If you want to play by yourself in your clubhouse with a giant "NO OTHER INSTRUMENTS ALLOWED" sign, that's fine, preference are preferences. But music is meant to be shared, and anything that makes music more awesome is never a bad thing, in my mind. That includes videos with trombones in them!

What do I win!!! ;)

What do I win!!! ;)

CONGRATULATIONS, my good sir! You win THIS, which I just made for you:

30krghh.jpg

Last edited:
I am obsessed with the Uke.

And probably like everyone here I like to park on You Tube for a bit and watch Uke vids.

I enjoy this like the S.O.B.

I've seen the amazing from Jake to others, who not only amazed me with their Uke skills but also moved me (and weighing in at 300 lbs, I'm not easily moved...See what I did there?....neither did I)

Am I right?

Cheers!

Um, like many others already, I respectfully disagree. I see guys playing multiple instruments and just marvel at that level of skill (one I will never posess). The fact they have that ability, and can integrate an 'ukulele into a mix of other things is pretty cool. There may be some times that a uke alone is perfect, but there are other times when bringing both the noise and the funk is the way to go.

Seems to me that you're not only hating the player, but hating the game, too.

A lot of folks fired up about this, which is cool, and making a lot of great points. I wasn't trying to say that I'm anti multi-tracking across the board or that people who multi-track with their Ukes aren't talented, they are. But my post was really about what I personally enjoy watching as far as Uke vids on YouTube. I suppose my "Am I right?" call to action was unwarranted as, again, this was just my personal opinion and wasn't meant to translate as "Who's with me?"

Now in the interest of full disclosure I was heavily intoxicated when I put up that post (surprise!) and now hung over I can see through the fog that a lot of that rambling was BS even in the context of it being my own personal opinion.
I'm at the stage in my playing where I'm getting better but I still don't have the stones to put up my own YT vid so kudos to everyone who has, multi-tracked or otherwise, much respect. Still my favorite among those performances are the ones without the bells and whistles...just pure skill and emotion.

You ALL Rock! And I apologize for pissing you off.

But for the record I hate metronomes. People who use metronomes I tell ya...

Have a kick ass day!

You're sounding like a Dalek... EXTERMINATE ALL IMPURE INSTRUMENTS. MORE THAN 4 STRINGS = DEATH.

All jokes aside, I too respectfully disagree. Just look at one of the best ukulele players of all time: Ukelele Ike. He
often played with an orchestra backing him up.

Rook, it takes a lot more than that to piss us off.

Personally I don't don't like Uke vids with kazoos and silly hats but some do. Viva le difference.

Top Bottom