Latest Build: Canadian Cedar Tenor

Liam Ryan

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to show off my latest uke build, a Canadian Cedar Tenor. The bindings are tortoise. The bridge and fretboard are figured desert Acacia. I'm not sure what species but it makes ebony seem about as hard as soft pine. The neck is recycled Kauri reinforced with a carbon fibre rod. Headstock veneer is some top notch york gum burl. I left the little blonde fringe/bangs at the top of the headstock.

IMG_0494.jpgIMG_0493.jpgIMG_0490.jpgIMG_0489.jpgIMG_0488.jpg

Beautiful work Liam!

Nice composition of unusual woods (unusual for USA).
Love that york gum burl veneer on the headplate.

I would be interested to hear how it sounds.

Last edited:
Wow, very nice uke! beautiful woods: it's a satin finish body? cedar looks very nice in satin f.

So, that's ALL cedar? Is that Western Red? Are there any issues with the softness of the back and sides?

That's really nice! I want a concert like that!

Nice. I'm kind of a headstock guy - both front and back - and not much for elaborate inlay, so the creative/tasteful use of interesting woods for the headstock overlay is very appealing. This is a very nice example of that. The "bangs" at the top are GREAT!!

Nice work!!

Dean

It's canadian yellow cedar aka canadian cypress. It's soft but not as soft as WRC. That stuff'll dent if you give it a side ways look.:)

It's canadian yellow cedar aka canadian cypress. It's soft but not as soft as WRC. That stuff'll dent if you give it a side ways look.:)

That's what I was thinking. If only they called wood what it is. Even generally. So many cedars are cypresses. Any idea what the difference is, if any, between Alaskan and Canadian Yellow Cedar (I know AYC is a cypress - assume they're same-ish)?

Top Bottom