PDA

View Full Version : What strings do you hate?

Gadzukes!
10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Everyone talks a lot about the strings that they love (Worth, Aquila, Freemont), but I'm curious if there are any brands that are generally considered to be not worth experimenting with?

Save a fellow some cash. :)

janeray1940
10-10-2011, 06:39 PM
GHS.

And the stock strings that come with Kamakas, which I thought were GHS because to my ear they sound equally dull. Apparently they're D'Addarios - which some folks love.

Uke Republic
10-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I just hate strings when they break during install. SNAP!!! Scares me something awful. I install a lot and it doesn't happen often but WOW! It's like the Jack in the box. Hated that toy...

jackwhale
10-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I think it's mostly matching specific strings with a particular ukulele. Aquilas seem great on my mahogany ukuleles but the same Aquila strings sound 'thin' on the spruce top. Hilo strings sound great on the spruce top and 'dull' on the mahogany ukulele. Playing style matters a great deal. Strumming with the nail versus finger tip makes a big difference.

I'm not an expert on this and I only play baritones.

Gillian
10-10-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't hate them yet, but I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the Worth Clear low-G. I've replaced them, thinking that maybe Worth made a bad batch. I've played around with the tension, i.e. putting a tenor string on a concert and vice versa but they all sound the same. Dull.

Jon Moody
10-11-2011, 01:11 AM
I think it's mostly matching specific strings with a particular ukulele.

I'm finding this to be true with my ukes, due to their construction (as in, it wouldn't make as much difference on a solid body as acoustic). My Boulder Creek sounded thin and weak with the Aquilas, but has more life now with the D'Addarios that I put on it. Conversely, my Recording King Resonator sounded okay with Aquila Nylguts, sounded too dark with the Kala Reds (the low G played a part too), and now is settling in with the more mellow Aquila Bionylons.

Doc_J
10-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Two strings that I don't plan to buy again for my ukes are : Kamaka (D'Addario) black strings and Kala Reds.
Some folks love these strings but they did not get me the sound I wanted.

And yeah, no more Bionylons for me either.

kissing
10-11-2011, 03:33 AM
LA BELLA - I tried a tenor set, and hated it. They have a wound 3rd (C), which felt quite barb-wirey, and the A string twanged because it was very thin..

foxfair
10-11-2011, 03:37 AM
Hate, is a word, too strong.
I don't hate particular string, I just choose to fit them with certain instruments.

haole
10-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Whatever comes stock on the Makala dolphin. I think they're a step below GHS. For a $35 uke I can understand why they don't come standard with good strings, though.
And I like Aquilas, but their wound strings tend to come apart really quickly so I don't like their low G sets at all. ):

jackwhale
10-11-2011, 06:20 AM
I've had the same experience as haole with Aquilas Nylguts. One week of regular playing and the wound 3rd string is nearly worn through at the first four frets. I still like them when they're new.

kenikas
10-11-2011, 06:22 AM
GHS, I have yet to find a uke they sound good on! Martin Crystal Nylons were pretty awfull, but I love their Flourocabons on some ukes. I've also been unimpressed with most D'Addario uke strings, but really like their Pro Arte's. I haven't tried the new Kala Reds, but didn't care for the feel of the original ones. As most have said you need to try them all on several ukes since some don't sound good on one uke but do on another.

BadLands Bart
10-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Not too sure if the strings are what people "hate". It seems that the challange is to get the strings to match your uke and your style of playing....that's the real challange. And when you get a combination that does not produce the sound you are looking for the most common response is "I hate those strings"! It's not the strings it is the match of the strings with the uke.

janeray1940
10-11-2011, 06:45 AM
I don't hate them yet, but I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the Worth Clear low-G. I've replaced them, thinking that maybe Worth made a bad batch. I've played around with the tension, i.e. putting a tenor string on a concert and vice versa but they all sound the same. Dull.

Interesting - when I switched from Fremonts to Worth GM-LGs, I felt the same way - I absolutely could not understand what all the fuss was about how great Worths are. A few weeks later my opinion started to change, and now I like them quite a lot. I'm not sure what happened - maybe they need some time to settle in (unlike Martins, which seem fine from the start)?

UkuleleThreads
10-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I hate g-strings, they always ride up on me. I spend too much of my day picking at it then.

Uke Republic
10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Yes!!! :):d
i hate g-strings, they always ride up on me. I spend too much of my day picking at it then.

philpot
10-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Black Diamond. Dead, lifeless, quiet, dull. Worst strings I ever bought.

berean_315
10-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Don't like the black GHS strings. They sound dead to me. Also not that impressed with the Martin strings either.

I normally use Worths or Aquillas.

Big_e
10-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Aquilas.
Any ukulele I buy that has them, I remove immediately. To me, they have a thick and thuddy sound. They are also hard on my fingers just as Augustines are on a classical guitar.
Ernest

Flea Flicker
10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
I'd have to concur with the votes for Aquila - too brittle, painful and dull for my tastes.

ukulefty
10-12-2011, 07:56 AM
I just hate broken ones... Haven't come across any strings I totally dislike yet.

Aquilas.
Any ukulele I buy that has them, I remove immediately. To me, they have a thick and thuddy sound. They are also hard on my fingers just as Augustines are on a classical guitar.
Ernest

What strings do you prefer?

chris3794
10-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm glad i'm not the only that isn't fond of Aquilas :)
also, GHS strings aren't my favorite either.

Pueo
10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm glad i'm not the only that isn't fond of Aquilas :)
also, GHS strings aren't my favorite either.
This pretty much sums up my views, with the black D'Addario "Hawaiian Ukulele" stings thrown in too for good measure.

khairijamian
10-12-2011, 07:07 PM
I won't be buying D'Addarios again in the future, it wasn't that bad actually, just I didn't get my expected sounds type. Personal issue!

wickedwahine11
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Count me as another vote for the stock Kamaka strings. They make such amazing ukulele and then dampen them with those dull strings, it is a pity. My runner up are wound strings, I just can't play them without squeaking.