ukulele theory for noobs

adfletch

Reaction score
Firstly thank you for the above lessons, very helpful. Just got to the basics of turning a major chord into a 7th, and it seemed very clear for A,C and G, but I just cant get how the B D E and F work .Please could anyone explain, so hoefully I can move on to the next level. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the UU. Try a search for uke theory - there are lots of good threads. Also, check out some of Aldrine's free lesson on the main page.

All chords work the same. A 7th chord you flat the 7th note of the chord (scale).
The 7th note of a C chord is Bb, flat a Bb and it is B.
The 7th note of a F chord is E, flat the E is Eb.

theory for noobs

Nuke describes it as "on a 7th chord you usually take the higher of the root note and drop it down 2 half tones", but I cant seem to apply this to the chords mentioned. I have absolutely no musical knowledge so if i appear daft then I apologise.

To figure out the notes in a major scale, remember "whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step".

So, if you list out every note starting with C, you get: C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
So, from the first C you go a whole step to the next note so skip the C# (which would be a half step) and you get D. Whole step from D is E. Half step from E is F and so on. In the end you get C D E F G A B C which is a C major scale.

C is obviously a pretty easy scale so we can try it with something a little more difficult like B. Listing out each note: B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B. Using the whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half method you get the B major scale. B C# D# E F# G# A# B.

A major chord is 1 3 5. So, take the major scale and use the 1st note, 3rd note, and 5th note. In the case of B it would be B D# F# to make a B major.
A minor chord is 1 b3 (flat 3) 5. So, the 1st and 5th note will be the same as in a major chord but you flat the 3rd note. So, a B minor would be B D F#.
A 7th chord adds the b7 (flat 7) to the 1 3 5. So, a B7 would be B D# F# A.
A maj7 adds a 7th to the 1 3 5. So a Bmaj7 would be B D# F# A#.
A sus4 chord typically replaces the 3rd note with the 4th. So, a Bsus4 would be B E F#.

Of course there are many other chords than the ones I mentioned (diminished, maj7b5, 6, etc.) but the ones I mentioned are the ones I seem to see the most often so it's a good place to start. You can mix the different chord types together so if you see a Bm7 (B minor 7th), you would take 1 b3 5 b7 (B D F# A). As a sus4 replaces the 3rd and the 3rd is what identifies a minor chord, you won't see a minor sus4.

To get a natural minor scale, take the major scale and flat the 3 6 7 notes. So a B minor scale would be B C# D E F# G A B. The natural minor is the most commonly used minor scale.
A harmonic minor takes the major scale and flats the 3 6 and leaves the 7th alone. So a B harmonic minor scale would be B C# D E F# G A# B.
A melodic minor takes the major scale and only flats the 3. So a B melodic minor scale would be B C# D E# F G A.

So, for the specific chords you mentioned, I will write out the major scale (using the whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half method above) and we can figure out what notes make up the chord.

B: B C# D# E F# G# A# B. B7: 1, 3, 5, b7: B D# F# A.
D: D E F# G A B C# D. D7: D F# G C.
E: E F# G# A B C# D# E. E7: E G# B D.
F: F G A Bb C D E F. F7: F A C Eb.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

Last edited:
noobs

thanks for all your responses. I shall work on the info you have given me.

there are some good books on the subject like 'Fretboard roadmaps' you could try...

there are some good books on the subject like 'Fretboard roadmaps' you could try...

and also "Idiot's "Guide to Music Theory." Although there are certain things unique to the uke as an instrument, such as 4 strings, size, tone, etc., the same music theory applies to all C instruments. No need to get into Bb and Eb instruments and bass clef here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom