Would you have bought this....?

Miss Michele

Reaction score
I was at a local Antique Festival over the weekend. After I browsed around to see what the vendors had, I decided to stroll into the many Antique stores in town. I walked into an Antique Bookstore and what did I see? An old eight string ukulele! It kept saying "BUY ME" "YOU KNOW YOU WANT ME" lol

It had four strings missing, the label gone, and half of the back of the body was missing. The owner said it was his grandmothers, and had been in the family for years. It was priced for $60, but the owner said, for me, (I told him I played) he would knock it down to $48. I didn't buy it. Trust me, if it would have been in better condition, I would have!

Would you have bought it? Was it worth the price?

Last edited:
I personally would have.

Despite the condition I'd still have got it and taken it to someone to repair it. I would love an antique uke and if it was never recoverable for use, then it'd make a great display ornament ;)

Half the back missing? You mean, like half the body on the back side of the 'ukulele was gone?

No. I wouldn't have bought it. Unless it was to use as a wall decoration.

Half the back missing - probably not. But if I was to come across an antique uke in somewhat okay condition and they were asking about $50 - probably yes.

Cracked, dings, seam seperation or a puncture hole yes but, with half the back missing, no way for me

Well, it would depend. For me, if it was something higher end, then it might be worth repairing. However, without a label it would take some knowledge of vintage ukes to know if it is worth bringing it back to life. Vintage 8 strings are not common. I love vintage stuff and have yet to come across one. So, for me I guess the answer is a totally non-helpful....."it depends"!

You should have told him if half the body was gone, you would only pay $30, half the price. Then coyly asked if he was selling any duct tape and wood scraps.

If he didn't have any duct tape and wood scraps, you could post a request in the luthier section.

:)

Wait.... Maybe this is one of JoeJeweller's ukes. :)

Last edited:
I would have. Especially if it were solid wood and not a lam. You couldn't have bought seasoned wood like that to build one for that money. Worse case, built a new back for it, completley stripped and refinished it. Collector value, if there is any was already gone due to condition, but that is a prime canadate for a total rebuild. If you can, I would love it if you could pick it up for me. I would love to rebuild it..

(if that is an option, and you would, what kind of wood does it look like?)

Probably, been wanting a "taropatch"....assuming it's a uke and not a South American 8 string charango, or ????

Top Bottom