Back to Aquilas

Paul December

Reaction score
When I originally started playing ukulele I'd change-over all my ukes to Aquilas and be amazed by the improvement (solid & lam)...
...but as many others have posted here, I started finding them a bit harsh or bright, so started seeking out other brands with more "balance" or "warmth".
Well, I've come full circle now! Recently I've been changing back to Aquilas and am really liking them again. Somehow they sound better...
...more alive than the Worths, Freemonts, and etc. Oh, and I really do prefer their texture/feel.
Anyone else switching-back?

I have stayed with aquila strings on my Makala and Kanile'a ukes. I like the sound and the feel, so to me I am happy with them.

I've always enjoyed the Aquilas on many instruments but this is subjective as we find different instruments seem to react differently to different strings. This isn't a bad thing in my opinion.
Putting strings on our ukes can be like a set of new tires. You know this brand and style is great for cornering, this set is better for a long smooth drive, this set is very grippy, etc.
Aurora strings are something people may want to try too as the formula is from Aquila but with a smoother feel to my fingers and a little more warmth plus they come in a host of colors.

My ukes are fairly new. I'm still trying to figure out how much of it is just due to the wood aging and new strings in general. I've swapped different types and each time I think "this brand is better the the last".

I have always felt that our ears change as well as the ukuleles.
Strings and ukuleles (guitars too) that I once was unhappy with always seem to come back in favor.

I also think it depends on what type of player you are... For example, i had Aquillas on my kanilea and they were very bright and loud when i just strummed through chords.. But then i changed to titanium d'addorios. They still sound warm when i just strum but they are extremely loud and bright when you start picking.
Basically: Strummer = Aquila's
Picker = D'addorios

My first purchased uke was the Luna Tattoo concert sized. It came with Aquilas, and they sounded great on it. No other strings (Ko'olau Alohis, or Worth Browns) sounded as good. After testing a few brands, it was back the the Nylgut.

I then tried Aquilas on my aNueNue solid koa tenor and they just sucked horribly and seemed to just destroy whatever subtlety and nuance the 'ukulele had. I've since tried both Worth Browns and the OEM Orcas on it, and prefer either of them by leaps and bounds over the Aquilas.

The Tall Grass I just picked up came pre-strung with Aquilas and it sounds okay, though I have a hard time hearing any subtle sound. I'm going to give a few different sets a try on that one. Who knows, the Aquilas may be the right string for it. Or maybe not.

I agree with Mike. It's not a one-size-fits-all thing. If you like Aquilas though, you should try the natural gut strings. Awesome.

I have D'Addario Pro Arte strings on my red cowboy concert Fluke. I like the mellower sound. They bring out the "bass"-y sound of the Fluke. At the moment I have (went back to after trying Aquila--too bright) Hilo Black Nylons on my floral Island design concert Fluke, but I may try Aurora strings. I have Kala Red strings on my concert Flea.

Most of the rest of my ukuleles have Aquilas. Oh, wait, I have Worth Brown Low-G strings on my soprano Eleuke. And Martin fluorocarbons on my TV pal plastic uke. I *might* have Hilo Black Nylon strings on my Mahalo Les Paul soprano. I forget.

Mousie

To the OP, I think you are right on!
Obviously it all boils down to personal preference and ever uke will sound different with different string. I have always found most other strings like saverez to be a bit "cold" sounding. Aquillas do have a great balance of liveliness and warmth. And they do feel great.

I'd also like to add that I wish wish wish wish they wound change their wound strings... they are sh!t!

I love the texture of Aquilas, they really suit my fingers. None of my ukes currently have them on, but the Kanilea likes them most, so they'll certainly be on again. Pro artes and even Worth CTs are just on the too mellow side of too mellow, but the CTs are the only choice going for unwound low G, so there ya go.

To the OP, I think you are right on!
Obviously it all boils down to personal preference and ever uke will sound different with different string. I have always found most other strings like saverez to be a bit "cold" sounding. Aquillas do have a great balance of liveliness and warmth. And they do feel great.

I'd also like to add that I wish wish wish wish they wound change their wound strings... they are sh!t!

SouthCoast carries some amazing wound strings. Worth checking out for sure.

One thing I've noticed with my basses... when I switch to one I haven't played in a long time, I always think "Wow, this thing sounds GREAT". I think it's because it sounds DIFFERENT from what I've become accustomed to rather than sounding better. It always reminds me of the line in the Steve Martin bit about the googlephonic stereo with the moon rock needle: "But the ear gets sophisticated pretty fast". Look it up if you haven't heard it. Apart from the botched start of the routine, it's very funny. I guess the point is, in my experience, things sound good when they're fresh to you. After awhile, you get used to it. If you take a break from that string, or instrument, or amp, or whatever, it will sound better when you come back to it. Except for my '77 Fender Jazz Bass run through my Ampeg. That ALWAYS sounds awesome!

I replaced my Ohana Port Orford Cedar/Myrtle with Southcoast strings and I really like the sound. The Aquilas sounded good, too, but I like my Ukes to sound different from each other. Among the 4, I have Aquilas, Southcoast & Worth Clears.

I replaced my Ohana Port Orford Cedar/Myrtle with Southcoast strings and I really like the sound. The Aquilas sounded good, too, but I like my Ukes to sound different from each other. Among the 4, I have Aquilas, Southcoast & Worth Clears.

How do the Southcoast strings compare re: light gauge, medium gauge, etc. to Aquila strings? I wouldn't know which to buy for a soprano ukulele. I do NOT like Worths--they feel like wire and hurt my fingers. Maybe that can give you an idea of what I want/need. Aquilas are "fatter" and more comfortable.

Thanks!

Mousie

I love the texture of Aquilas, they really suit my fingers. None of my ukes currently have them on, but the Kanilea likes them most, so they'll certainly be on again. Pro artes and even Worth CTs are just on the too mellow side of too mellow, but the CTs are the only choice going for unwound low G, so there ya go.

After trying Worth's light, medium and hards with unwound low-G on my Kanile'a concert, I agree with you. Too mellow and the low-Gs sounded flat, felt floppy and had poor intonation so I went back to the Aquila's that the Kanile'a came with and now it sings again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom