Low G string and deep singing voice

kaizersoza

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals,
I have a question, would it make it easier to sing along if I put a low G string on my uke, my voice is quite deep and when I sing along with my uke it seems way too high for my voice, any recomendations?
thanx
kaizer

Play songs in a key that suits your voice, String alone won't do it as you'll be in the same key.

Play songs in a key that suits your voice, String alone won't do it as you'll be in the same key.

The Low G is an octave lower and may blend better with you voice.
The key you play in needs to be in your vocal range, so as Phil says pick the right key.

Yup, I have this same problem or challenge. I'm a kahuna-sized guy with booming voice, and until recently, I had only a soprano-sized instrument to use. I've since purchased a tenor that I've been experimenting with including Low-G, and that seems to have helped quite a bit, but dropping the standard tuning of my soprano a full step also helped. I now keep that smaller uke tuned to F, A#/Bb, D, G tuning (instead of GCEA), and I've found that I can harmonize my voice better now with most every tune, even the lowest ones. Sometimes, the more challenging ones will requires transposition of the chords somewhat, as mentioned by others above, but between those two approaches, I've been able to get back to business.

Good luck!

Hey Kaizer

When my sister & I used to sing with & play a uke back in the 70s ....... if it was 'too high' for our voice, instead of using the more difficult chords in lower settings, we used to just retune our uke a few notes lower & still play the easy chords!! :) Yeah - cheating I know, but it worked for us! You can't do it if you are singing with a group tho & everyone else is on GCEA! :(

Cheers

Roberta

I too have a deep voice and tried low g it did not work for me now I just change keys to suit I also tuned a tenor go baritone but play the same chords so effectively its much lower that works?

Top Bottom