lucky chance to pass along a uke

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

Reaction score
Just before I left for Sunday's Portland Ukulele Association get-together---check PUA out if you're in the area---a friend was telling me how much she wants to get a ukulele and start learning.

Just so happened that at the PUA meeting, there was a dusty, no-name uke sitting against the wall with a sticky-note on it that read "give-away". I brought it home, wiped it off, and tuned it up. I handed it to my friend as soon as she and my wife returned from their afternoon. So fun to see the "a ukulele for me?!" look on her face. Here's my favorite line from her facebook post that evening about getting the uke:

now i can ukulele on the daily. =p

Very nice story.

Everyone's first uke ought to be a giveaway. And everyone ought to give a uke away at least once.

This is an awesome story. None of it would have happened without someone being willing to donate a uke. Here's to hoping we're all in a position to do that someday. :)

Last edited:
Wonderful. That's what I love about the Uke. A less than $40 gift can bring a lifetime of enjoyment. In this case it was a "Play it forward" thing. Bravo to who left it there.

Made my day! thanks for sharing the story ...

Good on you Ralph. That's what it's all about.

I'll be sure to announce that the uke's got a home at the next PUA meeting I attend. I'd like the author of the "give-away" post-it note to know that the uke's getting strummed again.

I've been both the middle man for and receiver of free ukes lately (contest prizes). I'm just waiting to find the right deal on craigslist to host a UU contest. Til then, I'll tide myself over by turning some of the Ukulele Godspell Contest prize into Makala sopranos to pass along to uke-curious friends. Ahhh, UGS (ukulele giving syndrome) feels good.

Excellent! :) It's random acts of kindness like that, which make me think the world's NOT a bad place despite some of the stuff that goes on it it.

Lovely little story - that's made my day - thanks for sharing!

:)

Top Bottom