"I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate"

H

Hippie Dribble

1915. Clarence Williams and Armand Piron. Traditional jazz tune.

I'd never heard of this song til I heard the good dr bekken's AWESOME youtube version. This is my bash at it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPQUep1rzE

A real fun tune and a good excuse to be a hambone! :eek: Thanks for watching everyone. :)

It has perplexed me as to what exactly is a "shimmy". From the song version that I sung I
imagined that it was something you did with the posterior regions of the body,
but I could be wrong. A shimmy is a dance move in which the body is held still, except
for the shoulders, which are alternated back and forth. When the right shoulder goes back,
the left one comes forward. Thus the move is calculated to draw attention to the upper
part of the body, full front and centre. To be more precise the bosoms

Could that dance they did to Mud's "tiger feet" where you hitch your thumbs in you braces
and throw your left and right shoulders forward be classified as a shimmy?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Nice playing. I enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work.

Woohoo !! That was great to watch ! Great performance that I really enjoyed. Could you give me the chords used ? I would love to play this....should sound pretty good on a banjo as well.

Best Shimmy ever- 3:22.
Just sayin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjY_uSSncQw
SO as to not be a complete thread-jacker...Jon, this is GREAT. I now have bleeding knuckles- could not resist getting my bones and rattling along with you, over and over again.

It has perplexed me as to what exactly is a "shimmy". From the song version that I sung I
imagined that it was something you did with the posterior regions of the body,
but I could be wrong. A shimmy is a dance move in which the body is held still, except
for the shoulders, which are alternated back and forth. When the right shoulder goes back,
the left one comes forward. Thus the move is calculated to draw attention to the upper
part of the body, full front and centre. To be more precise the bosoms

Could that dance they did to Mud's "tiger feet" where you hitch your thumbs in you braces
and throw your left and right shoulders forward be classified as a shimmy?

Enquiring minds want to know.

That Marilyn clip may need a new piece of vocabulary to describe it...
That certainly was not shoulders:p

In the interests of scientific investigation I would like to propose that
the young adolecent boys from the 1970's developed their own style
of Shimmying from the shoulder, as is evidenced in the video "Tiger Feet"
by the MUD. It can be caught at 1:07 in the following video

HAHAHA you guys are cracking me up... :rofl::biglaugh:

just as a by the way, this is how you shimmy without shoulders:

:nana:

My word- those guys from Mud have probably spent the last forty years kicking their own arses for doing that.
So, I was watching my wife practice Belly-Dancing (snicker) and noted that the "shimmy" has, at least in the middle east, been appropriated to different parts of the body.
I give you Sadie- apparently some sort of shimmy wizard, for further study on the subject.

Oh yeah- awesome tune there Jon!

That uke has that classic sound that works great for this piece. Really enjoyed it and can't help but smile when you are hammin it up.

thanks doc and v30. Much appreciated fellas. Yep Dave, thanks for inspiring further research on this fascinating, enchanting subject...he he

Top Bottom