New Lanikai SMP-C concerns

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just bought a Lanikai SMP-C solid monkey pod concert (full review to come after I play it some more). I have a couple of concerns. First is a hairline crack in a knot on the left side up by the neck. Is this something I should try to get fixed now or just keep watch on it?

hairline crack 1.jpg hairline crack 2.jpg
(same crack, different light)

The second is the fact that the G and A strings rub on the headstock. I am winding the sting over the top of the tuner and the strings still rub. Does this need some filing or is it OK?

headstock on string.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.

I'd take it back or send it back to where I bought it (at least for the crack). As to the strings rubbing... its a fairly common design "mistake" on cheaper ukes w/slotted heads - a higher priced instrument w/that configuration would likely have deeper & better formed slots so that the strings wouldn't rub. But... I'd bet that a replacement SMP-C would have this same "defect".

I called the local music store that had special ordered it for me. They said that it will be covered by Lanikai's warrantee and bring it it. Thanks for the help.

Don't worry about the strings rubbing on the ramps. With cheap ukes that what you get. At the same time you should never expect that on a higher end uke.
The crack (or series of cracks) however is a major concern. That's not acceptable with any level of instrument. Take it back.

Replacement is on the way. Lanikai seems fine with replacing it.

Back to the headstock. Should I have the ramps deepened or isn't that much of a concern?

I'd say its no concern for the strings rubbing. Nylong strings won't do much damage and 99% of the time the string is just laying there...not rubbing.

Am I alone in thinking that that knot should have been rejected from even the cheapest of instruments? Even without the radiating cracks, which are rather more than "hairline?"

I agree with you. This is a $270 uke and while not expensive isn't a $40 one either. It looked like the inside had some glue on the knot so someone noticed and was trying to pawn it off as acceptable. The local Lanikai dealer took it back no questions asked but I had hoped that Lanikai would have done a better Quality Assurance somewhere along the line before they shipped it to me. It's like going to a nice restaruant that screws up your order and then wants to give you free dessert to make up for it. I just want it right the first time. (and Lanikai didn't even offer free dessert!)

Top Bottom